GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mo Baldeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:39:51 -0700
The following press release was issued yesterday by the New York-based Movement for Democracy and Development in The Gambia in commemoration of the April 10 and 11 victims of the student massacre.

In addition to the internet radio interviews by Freegambia.com, the event was also covered and aired by News 12, a Bronx TV channel that has services in New York and neighboring states.

You may also hear the live interviews at www.freegambia.com.

Momodou.

-----

April 09, 2005

Press Release in Commemoration of the April 10 and 11, 2000 Student Massacre in The Gambia.

Five years ago tomorrow, on April 10th 2000, security forces in The Gambia shot and killed 14 students and a Red Cross volunteer in broad daylight.  Several other students sustained serious injuries and some of them have been maimed for life.  Never before, since the 1960 Sharpville Massacre by the apartheid regime in South Africa or the 1979 mass murder of school children by Emperor Bokassa, has the African continent witnessed the blatant killing of young students in such a callous and brutal manner.

These students were simply demonstrating peacefully to express their grievances.  Although a commission of inquiry was launched to investigate the incidents, to date the perpetrators of this crime are still roaming the streets of the Gambia with absolute impunity.  The findings of the Commission of Inquiry were never made public and the files are now collecting dust somewhere.

Today, we the New York-based Movement for Democracy and Development in The Gambia want to express our disgust against the cold-blooded murder of these children and Red Cross volunteer.  We vehemently condemn the blanket impunity that President Yaya Jammeh accorded to these criminals in military uniforms. It is a mockery of justice and an insult to Gambians that such a heinous crime will go unpunished.

We ask all Gambians, wherever they are, to observe a minute of silence for the victims of this massacre.  To the parents, friends, and families of these victims we urge you never to forget this day, come 2006.  Re-electing President Jammeh will tantamount to mortgaging our souls to the same devils who killed Koro Cessay and Deyda Hydara.

Remember, the ballots you cast on that day will be far more powerful than the bullets that these cowards used against their own kin. For the departed souls of this massacre, we say, rest in perfect peace.  For those still nursing their wounds, we say stay strong for you will never be forgotten.

Thank you for listening.  We thank Freegambia.com internet radio for giving us this opportunity.

Long Live The Gambia!

The Movement for Democracy and Development

New York, NY