GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:21:52 -0800
Subject:   Observer
From:   "Christ George" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:   Tue, December 27, 2005 5:48 pm
To:   [log in to unmask]
Cc:   [log in to unmask]

Observer should shut up

Tuesday's editorial of the Daily Observer could only be desribed as
disgusting, procative and an insult to the memory of the Late Deyda Hydara
who died a brutal death in the hands of people the Observer Management is
trying to defend.

Deyda met his death while campaign against obnoxious laws aimed at stiffling
the freedom of speach the Observer is shameless relying upon to write such a
garbage they called editorial.

We all know the hatred the Jammeh regime has against journalists and the
Gambian media. Since coming to power in July 1994, Gambian journalists only
received arrest, detention, torture, clossure, death........you name it. And
the Observer which claimed to be an independent paper has failed woefully to
expose such wicked practices as expected of any newspaper which claimed to
be educating the Gambian public.

I was not surprise that the Observer has come up with such an editorial
since it has sacked Ramatoulie Charreh, its only staff female reporter who
was beaten to a coma by the police for taking part in the procession. And
remember that its former editor-in-chief, Ndey Tapha Sosseh, was sack for
staging a week-long blackout in honour of Deyda. The poor staff who took
part in the blackout were also severely punished. What happened to Sheriff
Bojang, its managing director, when he wrote an essay on Deyda?

Let them remember the personality of Deyda as a man who was open to all and
was ever willing to give a helping hand to all journalists and media houses
irrespective of their editorial policies. Let them remember the favours and
numerous assistance they got from Deyda.

The Observer has exposed itself as Jammeh's newspaper by trying to condemn
some of the statements made during the commemoration of Deyda's death at the
Kairaba Hotel. But I will tell them that the damage is already done and that
they cannot prevent the moon from shining.

The Observer cannot use the bogus investigations being conducted by the
police as a pretext for not taking part in the procession. We all know who
killed Deyda and cannot be fooled by any rubbish investigations. Who were
surveying Deyda few minutes before his death? Who carry guns and drive
vehicles without number plates? Let the Observer answer to the questions?

If Deyda was killed by a gang of ordinary individuals, then the NIA, police
and GNG would have been seen combing people's houses. This is because if
ordinary Gambians can use guns to kill civilised and innocent people like
Deyda, then the life  of a terror like Jammeh is in danger.

It is true that Gambian journalists are not above the law like any other
individual, but where was the law when an innocent man like Deyda was
brutally killed? How can the law be respected when it is not fairly applied
to all. What type of law do we have in The Gambia where what the goose doese
is good and what the gander doese is bad? What type of system do we have
where journalists and media houses are targeted for merely doing their job?
What type of system do we have where people who kill, maime, harass, tortur
and detain journalists over the required 72 hours go free without being
punished.

The Observer should know that all it doese is on record and I called on all
its reporters and editors not to allow themselves to be used these bunch of
old people  who are only interested in fulfilling there own selfish desires.
let them remember that the world is three days and they will surely blame
themselves at the end of the day. Let them remember that Jammeh's days are
numbered and anyone who collaborate with him to ruin the lives of the
Gambian people will be brought to book.
I rest my case

Christ George
Kanifing South