GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 00:54:53 +0200
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would like to add that for those of you questioning why the students
rioted
> and those making excuses for the stupid brutes who are directly
responsible
> for the killings, there is only so much that the human spirit can take
before
> unrest happens.  We have seen it time and time again in history.  These
> students were smart enough to realize that Ebrima Barry's death was a
> manifestation of a much larger problem that the country was facing,
> incompetence, indifference and just a state of affairs that had spiraled
out
> of control due to the barbaric rule of a mad semi-illiterate despot.
>
> But I assure you that they did not die in vain.  All the school kids that
> died yesterday, including the three year old boy that also got shot down,
are
> martyrs who died fighting for basic human rights and decency in our
country.
> Let us never forget them.
>
> The time has come for a collective action.  Let us take action quickly and
> put all these plans that have been suggested into motion.

Yus,

Hector Peterson was martyred to the cause of freedom in South Africa. There
is monument with an  engraving on it of  a man carrying a dead child and is
taken from a famous photograph found on posters honouring the ANC children's
movement of the 1976 uprising. Hector was the first victim of that massacre
of innocent school children in 1976 that was a turning point in the struggle
against apartheid.

May the blood shed by these young heroes of ours fertilise and nourish the
consciences of the Gambian masses to rise up sooner or later, to topple the
gang of terrorists that have taken hostage of our birthright.

As the significance of the events of the past two days down on me, I am
overwhelmed with guilt!- and shame!,  having shirked our duties towards the
people, and here are school children doing what we should have been doing
long ago.

We have all been jolted into a sudden political consciousness that is bound
to arouse a conscience that shall not allows the murder of these gallant
sons and daughters of Africa pass in vain.

Let us all come out to make sure that April 10th, the day on which the
student movement snatched the torch and flag from the dormant working class
and  progressive intellectual, to point to the only way forward: "Get Rid of
Jammeh or Gambia Shall Perish!!!", is treated with respect and remembered
accordingly as a rallying point for all patriotic Gambians against Jammeh
and what he stands for as long as he refuses to let our people go.

All those Gambians and friends of the Gambia who live in Norway who wish to
organise a protest or deliver a petition to the Norwegian government
requesting a stern condemnation of the brutal killing of school children may
contact me at the following email address:  [log in to unmask]
Whatever the outcome of these killings may be, we must vow that if Jammeh
does not go now, he does so during the next elections. Senegal has done it,
we can do it!

Let's forget our differences and do this together for the respect of
ourselves and the sake of our people.

Regards.

Kabir.