GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cherno Marjo Bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:35:04 +0000
Mr Momodou Drammeh,

Thank you so much for your invitation on this question of modelling the
Gambian economy. The question is a plausible one, thus, any Gambian
economist or Gambian interested in the subject would be agreed with me that
you have been very courageous to bring this question about.  “What economies
model that the Gambia can adopt and the rest of the world might envy it and
follow suit”? The Gambia a small and open economy, with consumers that
depended entirely on imported goods and services, produces almost nothing,
depended on aid, no heavy industrials. Devising economies model for Gambia
alone, a model that can address your concerns without embracing and building
it on capitalism would definitely means developing a model that will condemn
the Gambia’s economy to death.

Mr Drammeh, to achieve an economic model that if apply in the Gambia will
facilitates a fair distribution of wealth among Gambian is just impossible.
It may sound pessimistic, but that is how the real world works! You see
there are certain assumptions about equality that are embedded into the
pillars of liberal states, which are not applicable in economics. For
example equality before the law, and some other kinds of liberal equality,
can be nationally granted without infringing anybody’s rights.  But economic
equality in the Gambia cannot be possible. The reasons are many but I can
give you one reason, to model economics outcomes itself must be expressed as
policies that advance one-group’s interests at the expense of another’s. As
a result, puts political and ethical limits on how far the drive for
economic equality ought to go.

The former USSR and it alliance were good examples. Perfect economic
equality is a nightmare. If you see any country embracing economic equality
please do not intend to stay there because sooner or later you will wake up
in a political resurgent. If you believe in taking from the rich and given
it to the poor will leads to fair distribution of wealth, you might be very
much wrong because you will be ended up impoverishing everyone. The two
developing nations that earns credits for it economics model today are China
and India. Do you know why is simply because of they finally threw off their
economic equality models and embrace the most brutal and wicked form of
capitalism. You can see it in the way they organised their domestic
economies and their approach to international trade. All of a sudden, they
are a lot less poor, and it hasn’t cost the west a Butut.

In the Gambia policies are now changing, but slowly. There are directorates
which are set up to stimulate private ownership and entrepreneurial skills,
help to diversify the economic activities and facilitate a significant
contribution to exports and trade. Small and medium-sized enterprises are
considered in the Gambia to be one of the principal driving forces in the
economic development of the nation. The Youth Development Enterprise (YDE)
has been set up for this purpose. This is a positive trait because it
strengthening infant business, by eliminating spatial disparities and by
fostering technological development and new innovative enterprises.

Pa Che.