GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:30:02 EDT
Amadou,

With all due respect, l don't  see how Imam Faty's speaking out against
innovation in Islam translates to denying that Gambia is inhabited by people
of other faiths. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. As a
matter of fact, Islam advocates tolerance because everyone is free to choose
what they believe in. The point here is that, the same excellence we are
seeking in the political arena, is the same one that we are also seeking in
the religious one. This is an issue of pointing out to muslims what  is pure,
and what is innovation, and l do not understand why it raises the ire of so
many people. There is no compulsion in religion, but please let those of us
who want to learn all we can about this religion, as well as those who
realize that it is their duty to put forth what is fact and what is fiction
in it, do just that.
l think it is very simple, and is intended for those who want to make use of
it.

Jabou Joh
 Sister Jabou,

 With all due respect, I don't think you can juxtapose colonialism and the
fight against it (with all the suffering, told and untold) with the Ahmadiyya
Mission. Africans fought against colonialism because of all the evils that
that system represented.

 The main object of colonialism was first and foremost to rob the African.
Colonialism sought to dehumanise the African so as to justify his
exploitation. Building schools and hospitals (from a meagre percentage of
what was stolen from us) was just a part of the design. They needed
"educated" Africans to carry out some of the administrative work. Remember
they also built churches  too to "save our Pagan Souls" as part of their
grand design.

 The Ahmadiyya Mission is not out to commit armed robbery as was the case
with the colonialist who not only stole material resources but kidnapped
humans to trade in them.

 Imam Fatty is quoted as having said "Allah has promised in the Muslim holy
book, Qur'an, to feed every mouth He created". Allah is definitely feeding
the Imam's mouth through the hand of Yahya Jammeh but may have decided to
feed some other more unfortunate mouths throuigh the work of the Ahmadiyya.

 Yes I think this question is quite a political one for Gambia is not
inhabited by only Muslims. There are other faiths too and we cannot impose
the teachings of the Quran on them.

 Regards.

 A. Kabir Njie.