GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prince Obrien-Coker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:03:14 +0200
Mr. Ngum,

From what you have written, Ebou Chogan is surely not your idol and with names like sadist, monster, hypocrite and torturer, he is also certainly not your friend. My problem here is: What has that got to do with his posting?  In my opinion Ebrima Chongan is only trying to clarify and corroborate  a part of Ebou Colly's story of what happened on that particular night at Mile Two.
This is what Ebou Colly wrote after the brutes were ready with Capt. Cham:

"They came back. But it was Major Chongan they went
for. He was also handcuffed, dragged on the cement
floor and beaten mercilessly before they took him to
the back and fired shots in the air again."

The above paragraph was what Ebou Colly saw. Chongan's piece is to explain to us what happened when "they took him to the back...". Ebou Colly didn't expound on it, simply because he didn't see it. Which is something that kept everyone who studiously read his part ten of The Coup, in total suspense of what went on when  "...they took him (Chongan)  to the back...". I think Chongan, who transpired what Ebou Colly was explaining should be commended for the dilation and corroboration of Ebou Colly's story rather than being pilloried for something that he might had done before this episode.

The thing that strikes most in Chongan's piece, is that there is not a hint of bitterness or resentment in explaining what he went through that night, in fact, he added a little bit of hilarity to it by calling the person who came to dress his wounds; "GV Paint".

Mr. Ngum, in your initial reply to Chongan's posting, you wrote "I ain't get no beef..." but with the things you wrote about Ebou Chongan in your subsequent postings to Mr. Owens, KB and the rest, it seems as if you really have a big bone to pick with Ebrima Chongan. That is your prerogative, but you still do not tell us how Chongan could be a "worse monster" than the people he faced on that doleful night of  7th September 1994.

I believe the Gambian people will be grateful to people like Ebrima Chongan and Ebou Colly for sharing their experiences under those horrible situations, for to redress the iniquity of those dastards, one has to know the TRUTH of what really happened.

Prince