GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:59:18 -0500
Comrades:

      I have read with dismay, our constant fights.  Is this good for the opposition?  No.
What will happen if we cannot unite?  Jammeh will win?  Can we then call Jammeh
a dictator?  Absolutely not?  Why?  Because our inability to unite will ensure
Jammeh's re-election as president.

     I hope some of us who are so confused, can come together and
start mediating.  My personal political ambition has no relevance when the interest of
The Gambia is at stake.  We should refrain from the blame game.  Our objective is
to unite our fragile opposition.

     While both Darboe and Halifa have the right to contest the presidential election, their
candidacy is evident of Jammeh's victory.  Make no mistake about it.  Without uniting,
a vote for Darboe or Halifa is a vote for Jammeh.

     We had been struggling since July 22, 1994.  We fought and shed tears until we could
not longer fight and cry.  Why then are we denying ourselves our ultimate objective?

     If we believe that Jammeh is the worst thing that had ever happened to The Gambia,
then why are we fighting?  Tribal politics should have no bearing in our quest
for a yahya-less Gambia.

     Regardless of whether we have been discriminated, there is not a single day that
an immigrant is not discriminated in the U.S.  While driving, you may have been
profiled?  When you applied for that job, you may have been discriminated because
of your ethnicity or religion.  When you entered a store, you may have been
followed by a store clerk.  Why then do we discriminate against each other?  Tribal
politics is an abomination.

     Tribalism is the worst form of discrimination.  Why do we inject tribal sentiments.
I stand here today to state that I cannot support a candidate who dislikes a specific
tribe.

     If we cannot come together as a united force, Jammeh will be re-elected in
October.

Naphiyo,
Comrade Jassey-Conteh