GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 18:33:04 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.  14/2008, 1 – 3 February2008

Editorial
THEFACTS BEHIND THE DEBT  RELIEF OF THE PARISCLUB
The Paris Club comprises 19 Creditor  Governments, namely,Australia, Austria,
Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland,  France, Germany,Ireland, Italy, Japan,
the Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Spain,  Sweden,Switzerland, the United Kingdom
and the United States.
Thesecountries  have formed a group comprising financial officials who meet
every sixweeks at  the French Ministry of the Economy, Finance, and Industry in
Paris and is  chaired by asenior official of the French Treasury.
The clubdeveloped as  countries moved towards Independenceand countries in
the North tried to shield  themselves from unilateral debtcancellation by
countries in the south. The  members of the club developedstrong links with the IMF
and the World Bank which  establish performancecriteria for debtors and then
give recommendations for debt  restructuring, debtrelief and debt cancellation.
The Gambia hassatisfied the  conditions established by the IMF after falling
behind by threeyears. The IMF  and the World Bank recommended for Gambiato be
offered debt relief by the  Parisclub.
This iswhy the SoS for Finance and Economic Affairs led a  delegation to
negotiate withrepresentatives from the following creditor  countries, namely,
Austria, Belgium,Denmark, France, Germany,Italy, The  Netherlands, Norway, and the
United Kingdom. We are informed bythe Department of  state for Finance that
the stock of debt owed to the ParisClub creditor  countries amount to 40
million dollars, which is approximately800 million  Dalasi. If this is compared to a
22, 000 million Dalasi total debtthen one would  realise that one is dealing
with a small fraction of Gambia’s debt.
It  goeswithout saying that, the Department could best help the people to
understandthe significance of the debt relief by issuing a press release
indicating thecategories of the stocks of debt owed by the country and the sum
attributableto each category. This should then be followed by the cumulative
stock of debtand the value of each relief package.
In termsof the Parisclub,  we are dealing with debts owed to governments and
not the private sector.The  fundamental lesson to learn from this is that the
governments of the southare  grossly indebted to the governments of the North.
Let us consider Nigeria  alone.It had to pay all its debts in 2006 which
amounted to 30 billion dollars.  Thisshows the amount of wealth governments are
reaping through debts and  interestpayments as economic players, while some
naïve African intellectuals are  scheminghow to distance African governments from
productive ventures which could  earnthem income other than tax revenue.
Furthermore,the Department of state  indicated two types of relief which had
been granted.According to them, 11.6  million dollars out of the 40 million
has beencancelled. This is equivalent to  the sum of money the Gambia had topay
to GGC/Alimenta as compensation for the  seizure of their business
The secondrelief is the cancellation of all loans  signed and disbursed form
the ParisClub Creditors before July  1986.
Thirdly,some countries like Austriahave offered to cancel 86 per cent  of
debt servicing flows and retain 14 percent. France excludes theLoans to  Gamtel
and GRTS, Belgiumand Netherlandsalso exclude some loans.
The sumthat  should have gone to the Paris Club Creditor Countries will now
go toalleviate  poverty.
It istherefore necessary for Government to establish a special  poverty
alleviation accountat the Central bank where such moneys shall be paid  and the
public beconstantly informed how the money is spent to alleviate  poverty.

JUDGMENT ON CHIEF MANNEH’S CASE DEFERRED
TheCommunity  Court of Justice of the Economic Community of West African
States(ECOWAS) has  adjourned the case of Chief Ebrima Manneh of Daily
Observernewspaper, till March  13, 2008, according to a press release issued by theMedia
Foundation of West  Africa yesterday. Judgment on the case was scheduledfor
yesterday, 31 January,  2007.
Theadjournment  is to enable the courtsummon the two personnel of  the
National Intelligence Agency (NIA), whoallegedly arrested Manneh on July 7,  2006 at
the Daily Observer premises, totestify. On November 26, 2007, a witness  told
the court that he witnessed thearrest of the journalist by the 2  officers.
The courtalso said it needed time to translate new evidence it had  received
fromManneh’s counsel into the French language.
MediaFoundation for  West Africa (MFWA) is asking the sub-regional court to
compelthe government of  President Yahya Jammeh to produce Manneh and to answer
forhis arrest and  subsequent disappearance.
Thegovernment has denied arresting Manneh. The  government has consistently
failedto appear before the court.
Manneh  had“disappeared” since July 2006.
The MFWAis a regional independent,  non-profit, non-governmental organization
based in Accra. It was founded in1997  to defend and promote the rights and
freedom of the media and all forms  ofexpression.

Market In Terrible State
AsPublic Latrines  Leak
By Saikou Cessay
Marketvendors and residents at Latrikunda Market  expressed their
disatisfaction overthe terrible leakage of public latrines which  according to them
resulted toinconvenience for both residents and passers-by.  The Latrikunda
villagedevelopment committee and the market chairman, Modou Lamin  Colley, said
theawful odour from the toilets and the leakage of faeces in the  area is a public
healthconcern for those residing around the market. He  disclosed that the
matter wasreported to the Cleansing Services unit of Kanifing  Municipal Council
(KMC),where he was further directed to meet with the Kanifing  Municipal
Council Chiefexecutive, Abdoulie Sanyang. He said his efforts to  ensure that the
problem issolved turned futile as KMC refused to address the  situation. He
described thesituation as causing general outrage and then called  on KMC to
intervene as theduties and taxes collected from them should be  earmarked to
address issuesaffecting the market. He concluded that the situation  at the market
isterrible.
Speakingto this reporter, Isatou Dampha and Alhagie  Sallah, all market
vendors,complained that everyday the Kanifing Municipal  Council collects tax
(duty)from each vendor; that they also charge vendors to  pay money based on
theamount of goods they have. She said especially during the  rainy season
theynormally close their shops due to the terrible leaking and  flooding oflatrines.
FatouColley, another market vendor, said she usually  closes her business
during therainy season. “We can neither sell nor walk around  the area during the
rains,”said Fatou Colley. She further complained that they  are disturbed by
bad odourfrom the leaking latrines, adding that it hinders  their livelihood
as thebusiness serves as a source of income for  them.
Anothershop owner, Muhammad M. Kebbeh, also explained the constraints  he
isencountering and described it as terrible, adding that he sometimes found
hisshop filled with faeces from the leaking latrines. He said that they
usuallystay at home until it is dry. He revealed that the KMC officials were
informedabout the situation but they did not respond. He said what they lost in
theirbusiness cannot be recovered by the Council.
DembaBaldeh, a restaurant  owner near the market said they have stopped
serving mealsbecause of the  continuous leakage of latrines and distasteful odour
in the area,which stops  them from operating their businesses. He said they
always keeptheir doors close  due to the persistent odour from the public
latrines.
Thisreporter made  efforts to speak to the KMC Public Relations Officer, Pa
KalifaSanyang,  to  comment on the issue but tono avail.

D11.64Million Debt  Cancelled
TheParis-Club Creditor Countries Cancelled U S 11.64 Million Of US  $40
MillionOwed To Them As Their Share Of The Debt Relief Granted The Gambia  Within
TheFramework Of The Enhanced Heavily Indebted Poor Countries Initiative,  a
pressrelease issued by the Department of State for Finance indicates.  According
tothe release, following the Declaration by the Boards of the IMF and  the
WorldBank, in December, 2007, that The Gambia reached its Completion Point  under
theEnhanced Heavily Indebted Poor countries (HIPC) Initiative and became
eligiblefor debt relief under the scheme and the Multilateral Debt Relief
Initiative(MDRI ), The Gambia Government and representatives of the Governments
ofAustria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway
andThe United Kingdom referred to as “Participating Paris Club creditor  countries”
met on 24 January, 2008 in order to finalize cancellation of the Paris  Club’
sshare of the debt relief within the framework of the enhanced HIPC
initiative,as calculated in the Completion point report.
Therelease confirmed  as follows:
1) Thestock of debt due to Paris Club creditor by the Republic of  The Gambia
wasestimated to be around U$$ 40 million as of 1‘ December 2007. In  order
tocontribute to restore the debt sustainability of the Republic of The
Gambia,participating Paris-Club creditor countries decided to cancel U$$
11.64million, [On all loans signed and disbursed from their group of  creditorsbefore
July, 1986] in its entirety and part of the post-cut off date  debt-,(i.e. loans
signed and disbursed after the cut-off date July, 1986) were  also,cancelled
and forgiven. Bilateral agreements with the affected Paris Club
creditorcountries are to be signed by end June 2008 to operationalise this Paris  Club
Agreement.In the agreements concluded, Austria will provide Naple’s Terms  treatment
bycancelling 86% of debt servicing flow and the remaining 14% to be  paid on
duedates. However, Franceexcludes loans to Gamtel and GRTS from its debt
relief treatment and therecently signed Loans for the Global Maritime Disaster
and Safety SystemProject from Belgium and theGreater Banjul Water Supply Project
 from ING, Netherlands are also excluded fromdebt relief treatment.
2) The  Republic of The Gambia is committed to allocate theresources freed by
this debt  treatment to priority areas identified in thecountry’s poverty
reduction  strategy. The authorities of the Republic of The Gambiaare committed
also to  seek comparable treatment from all their other externalcreditors.”
TheGambian  delegation was led by the Secretary of State for Finance and
EconomicAffairs.

Arrests in Dibba Kunda
By Abdoulie  Dibba
Informationreaching this paper has it that ten people, who claim to be
supporters of theIndependent candidate of Sanjal Ward in the 2008 council
elections, werearrested on Saturday and Sunday by the Farafenni  Police.
Accordingto our source, the arrestees are all residents of Dibba  Kunda, a
village inSabach Sanjal constituency. The arrestees include, Ali Ndow,
Baboucarr Ceesay,Jim Chune, Jim Jobe 1, Jim Jobe 2, Adama Sowe, Malick Ceesay,  Alhagi
Jobe, AliMbye and Biran Mbye.
Thesource indicated that Ali Ndow was  arrested on Saturday and spent the
night indetention. The rest, according to my  source were arrested on Sunday and
grantedbail on the same day at  11pm.
Talkingto the arrestees, they informed this reporter that they are
supporters of theindependent candidate during the local government elections but  the
police areyet to inform them why they were arrested.
Accordingto them,  though they are not in custody, the traveling expenses
involved whilereporting  on bail is a big burden on them. They informed this
reporter thatwhen they were  bailed on Sunday, the Farafenni Police asked them to
report onMonday and that  when they reported on Monday, they were asked to
report on Wednesday;that when  they reported on Wednesday they were again asked
to report today,Friday. This,  they said is a big burden on them, especially
taking intoconsideration that they  are poor farmers who have no monthly income.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
Divorce oraDestruction
Part6
With Amie  Sillah
UncleJoe Intervenes
Uncle Joewas called to come and prevailed upon  Reuben to put sense into him.
But Reubenstill remains adamant. Uncle Joe said.  “Is it really true that you
ask your momto leave her matrimonial home?” “Yes  Uncle. I did not mince my
words when Isaid so. I have no regrets. I want this  woman out of the house
and out of mylife.” Anita was mad with her brother. “You  are getting
impossible. How can youdisown and hate your mom with a passion? You  know you cannot
drive mom from hermatrimonial home. It is unheard of.” Emma  chorused. “Mom
will not go anywhere.This is her home.” Reuben jumped from his  seat. “Shut up
before I break youneck!” “Break it let me see!” Emma talked back  at his
brother. Reuben chargedat him Ani parted them. Uncle Joe intervened.  “Shouting
would not solve thisproblem. We have to be sober. We are all friends  not enemies.
” Uncle Joeadvised. “If I have choices I would not have chosen this  woman
as a mother. Yes!I mean it.” Mom cried her heart out. “Let me go! I am no
longer wanted. Let mego.” “No! You are not going anywhere. This is your
matrimonial home.” The twosiblings insisted. Uncle Joe was too soft to solve the
contradiction. Heinvited his paternal uncles to impress upon Reuben to let his
mom be. Theuncles came.

TheUncles Intervene
Thepaternal uncles  came. A meeting was convened. Reuben was asked to rescind
hisdecision to banish  his mom from her matrimonial home. Reuben remained
adamant.The uncles forced him  to recind the decision to let his mom go. “This
isunheard of. Your dad left your  mom in his house despite all
theircontradiction. Who are you as a son to do  otherwise? Your mom will stay. Youhave to
accept it.” “I disagree! I disagree!”  “It is your business. We don’tcare. We
impress it upon you to accept our  decision. Your mom stays at hermatrimonial
home until she dies. That is our  decision.” The siblings chorused.Reuben was
isolated. He went out. Emma brought  in mom’s luggage from the verandah.

ReubenMakes Life Difficult for  Mom
Reubendecided to harass mom. “ Woman, Since you refused to leave my dad’s
compound,I’ll make life very hard for you. You made your bed so you have to lie
 on it.You are longer welcome.” Reuben took all the car keys from her and
instructedMusa, never to carry her anywhere. Do whatever you like to do but no
moreprivileges for you in this house.” Musa was bewildered. He just stared.
Thevicious cycle continued unabated.

Ani’sContradiction With  Emma
Emma is aspoilt brat. He has no respect for his elders. He ate and  messed
the diningwithout clearing it up. Ani became furious. She met him at the
verandah anddragged him by his collar. “Who do you think you are this spoilt  brat?
Who willclear your mess? Mom spoils you.” Then she hit him. As she tried  to
enter thehouse Emma picked the verandah ceiling brown and hit her down
unconscious.

ReubenEnters
Reubenentered in time and screamed.  Mom came out shocked. She gave Emma some
slaps.Ani was rushed to hospital and  admitted at an Emergency war. Reuben
called thepolice to come to his home, as  the contradiction heightened.

ReubenComes Back
Reubencame back  and found mom and Emma seated at the verandah. He charged
towardsEmma to  discipline him.

EmmaGoes For a Knife
Emma cameout with a  kitchen knife and charged towards Reuben; who gave him
his back. Ashe turned to  face Emma, he stabbed him in the heart and Reuben
fell down deadinfront of his  mom and brother. Mom screamed and fainted. Emma got
panicked. Hedid not bargain  for this.

ThePolice Arrives
Thepolice came and witnessed  everything. The knife was retrieved and
Emmaarrested. Mom was rushed to the  hospital.

TheTrial
The trialbegan. It was straight forward. Six  months after the murder Emma
Johnson wastried and found guilty of murdering his  elder brother Dr. Reuben
Johnson. Hewas sentenced to death by firing. At that  fateful day, mom fell down
death asthe judge pronounced the verdict. Emmanuel  Johnson was just a
teenager 18 yearsold. It was a pathetic situation for the  Johnson family. Dad died
out of heartcomplains inflicted by his wife’s  vindictive venture. Mom refused
to forgive orforget. After dad’s demise Reuben  continued the same vindictive
venture. Herefused to forgive or forget mom’s  maltreatment of dad. This
heightened thefamily feud. Emma took mom’s side. He  challenged Reuben and murdered
him incold blood.
The lawtried and found Emma  guilty of 1st class degree murder. He has to die
in histeens without a wife or a  child. The same thing goes for Reuben. He
diedwithout a wife or a child. Mom  lost his two sons in a row. What has her
policyof vengeance brought to her?  Destruction! Divorce is undesirable but if
stayingtogether destroys a family  then divorce becomes a better option. We have
toforgive and forget after all we  are all mortals. To err is human and to
forgiveis divine.

UTGSUand University Of East London Hold Seminaron  Special Education Needs
By Gibairu Janneh
TheUniversity of The Gambia  Student’s Union in partnership with students
from theUniversity of East London,  on Wednesday, held a one day seminar on the
theme SupportingChildren with  Special Educational Needs.
Addressingthe participants, Mr. Yaya Faal, an  education student in the UT
toldparticipants that in the Gambiadisabled children  were not enrolled in the
main stream schools. He saidsuperstitious beliefs  encourage families to
shelter and feed those afflictedwith severe mental  disorders separately and
associate them with devils and witchcraft,as well as  perceive them as unproductive,
reluctant, and incapable of learningand, in some  cases, are considered as bad
spell on the family. Mr Faal furthercited a survey,  conducted by UNICEF in
2000, that has shown that disabledchildren are always at  a disadvantage in the
mainstream schools. He said thatthe report has shown that  there are no
criteria for enrollment in themainstream schools and more often  than not the deaf
and blind are not enrolled.He said the report, however, states  that 3.8% of
the disabled children in themainstream schools complain of  harassment and
discrimination, 36.5% nevercomplain, 53.3% rarely complain and 6%  did not answer
the question. 45.6% ofthem never had their parents visit them in  school,
41.4% occasionally visitthem. 84.29% of these disabled children are  always
punctual in school and 73.3%register good academic performance.
On  theissue of child / teacher communication, Mr. Faal said the UNICEF
report  revealsthat 87.19% of the teachers understand the children, 78.3% of the
childrenunderstand the teacher and that 12% of the teachers do not understand
thechildren and 21. 7% of the children do not understand the teacher. Mr.
YahyaFaal concluded that in order to improve the conditions of the special needs
ineducation, there should first be willingness on the part of the parents
toeducate them, more teachers should be trained to have broader knowledge
insociology, psychology, etc. so as to better understand the needs of  thechildren
and better handle them in mainstream schools. He emphasized that  thereshould
be more partnership between government and sister organizations  through the
Department of State forHigher Education in enhancing the development  of
special education inmainstream schools in the areas of training, provision of
materials such asbrails, printers etc and spotting children with special  education
needs incommunities and subsequently enrolled them in school.
For  hispart, Mr. Halifa Sallah said the greatest challenge of society is the
 searchfor a refined terminology to define different groups of people
withdisabilities. He said every human being has special needs and no human being
isdisabled but rather the society makes people disabled. Mr. Sallah said
sincepeople cannot walk on the river and therefore used boats to cross, it is in
thesame way a wheelchair user uses the wheel chair since he cannot walk on
theground, noting that it is humanity that has failed its citizenry and not
thepeople’s lack of capacity. He said the question to ask ourselves is
whetherpeople with special needs are people? He then pointed out that if they  arepeople,
then society must see them as people with entitlements. He said  everyperson
has right to enjoy human personality and the disabled person is  noexemption.
He cited section 31 of the constitution states that the right of  thedisabled
and handicapped to human dignity shall be recognised by the state  andsociety.
Thedisabled person shall be entitled to protection against  exploitation and
toprotection against discrimination in particular as regards  access to
healthservices, education and employment and this clause is further  empowered
bysection 216 of the same constitution which states that, “the state  shall
pursuepolicies to protect the rights and freedoms of the disabled, the  aged and
othervulnerable members of society and to ensure that such persons are  provided
justand equitable social opportunities”.
Mr.Sallah said what is  important today is that the society needs education
to beable to address  mattersof special needs. He said there should be sound
social policies so that  thedifferent needs of society can be addressed. Halifa
insisted that what  isrequired is to conduct a thorough research into the
various categories  ofdisables that would show the full reality of the problem and
not the  scatteredsurveys that may not identify all the constraints. He
challenged the  UTGstudents to be ready to do such a research because, as he said,
it is the  roleof a university, to produce knowledge for society.
Mr.Sallah also  challenged the students to, among other things, see life as
avision and a  mission and to have purpose in life, otherwise, he advised,
theywould come to  see their work as an impossible task.
Mrs.Carolyn Siberfield, the lecturer  accompanying the students on the field
trip,on her part, said among other things  that the problems highlighted by
the twospeakers are cross cutting issues. She  said it may be conceived by some
thatsince The Gambia is a developing country,  and that UK, a developed one,
may have solved the problem of people  withspecial educational needs. She
asserted that; that is not necessarily the  case.Mrs. Siberfield reiterated that
what Halifa said is true that people  whoactually made policies relating the
special education needs do not  necessarilyknow everything and this is why
teachers who are in the university  should carryout research which policy makers
would base their polices on. She  said she issure that both the UEL and UTG
students learnt a lot from each other  as well asfrom the three speakers.
Speakingon behalf of the visiting  students Mrs. Heather Cornwell one of four
studentsstudying Special Education  Needs thanked the UTG students and
thestudent’s union from the UTG education  department for making the seminar
asuccess. She said the participants should  endeavour to put into practice whatthey
have learned. She expressed delight over  the occasion and hope that moreevents
will unfold in the near future.

UELField Trippers End Programs, A Unique Educational Process
By  Suwaibou Touray
Ninestudents and one lecturer from the Universityof East  London have
recently concludedtheir field trip programs throughout the length  and breath of the
Gambia.The students have visited several educational  institutions in the
country. Theyhave visited Sutukoba Nursery School, Sutukoba  Lower Basic
Cycle,Wellingara Lower Basic Cycle in the Wuli East District,  Bakadaji Lower Basic
Cycle,Brikama Nursery School, Simma Vocational  TrainingCenter, GADHOH’s female
wing for theDeaf and Hard of Hearing at Kanifing  and finally had a seminar
with theDepartment of Education students at the  University of The Gambia.
Throughouttheir trip, the students have contributed  immensely to schools
visited, notonly the provision of essential learning  materials such as books,
pencils,crayons, drawing and painting materials, chalks  etc, but also in
exchangingideas with teachers and having lessons with  children.
The UELstudents, who had organized a musical show with a famous and  talented
musicianrelated to one of the students back home, raised a substantial  sum
of moneywhich they donated to schools in both cash and educational  materials.
They alsodonated footballs to youth groups and schools
Thelecturer  accompanying the students, Mrs. Carolyn, expressed delight at
the endof the tour  and expressed that the field trippers definitely learnt lots
ofthings, which  ordinary tourists may not know about the Gambia.
Sheexpressed hope that they  would again visit the Gambia next year.
Mr.Suwaibou Touray, the Vice  Chairperson of the GAM-WORLD EDUCATION LINK,
theorganization that organizes all  the programs for the field trippers
expressedhis delight on the way and manner  the whole thing was conducted. He said
thisyear’s trip was a complete success  and students had close and
fruitfulexchanges with children and teachers. He  opined that UEL students may havetaken
their material contribution for granted  but that the Gambian teachers,students
and the general population know how  helpful these materials would beto their
children. He said they, therefore,  immensely appreciate this
uniquecontribution to the development of education in  the country. He finally thankedthe UEL
for not only contributing to education  but also to ECO-Tourism which,he said,
encourages the trickling down of the  benefits of tourism to the grassroots
and rural communities.

UDP  7Discharged
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
The sevensupporters of the United  Democratic Party from Bakau, who were
spotted at theKanifing Magistrates’ Court  on Tuesday 29 January, were arraigned
on Wednesday30, before principal  Magistrate Buba Jawo. However, their case did
not proceedand eventually they  were discharged by the court.
Theseven, Ebrima Jatta, Mariama Fatty, Jai  Bojang, Fakebba Bojang, Menteng
Bojang,Sirreh Bojang and Jalika Bojang, all from  the same family were charged
withprohibition of conduct which is conducive to  breach of peace under
section 9 ofthe Public Order Act. The trial Magistrate,  Buba Jawo held that the
charge wasvague and ambiguous. Jawo held that if the  charge sheet is not clear
theMagistrate has the right to strike it out, because  it will not help
toadjudicate justice.
Theprosecutor Sergeant 870 Touray,  then applied for a withdrawal of the
charge forthem to put their house in order.  Magistrate Jawo, therefore citing
sections 12and 13 of Criminal Procedure Code  discharged all the seven accused
persons.
It couldbe recalled that the seven  accused persons were arrested in Bakau on
Friday 25and Saturday 26 January,  respectively, after the councillorship
electionvictory of Ousman Rambo Jatta,  which resulted to a violent
confrontationbetween opposing supporters.

CasamanceNine Quiz Police Detective
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
The trialof the nine alleged Casamance insurgents has proceeded on  Wednesday
with thecross-examination of the prosecution witness, police detective
Amadou Sanyang.
The ninemen are on trial at Banjul Magistrates Court for  purportedly
planning attackson Senegal,spying and unlawful possession of Gambian  national
identity documents.
Asked bythe first accused person, Sedat Jarju,  if he was present when he was
beingarrested, detective Sanyang said he was not  present.
Sedatasked if he was part the investigative panel when he was  brought there
twice,Sanyang answered “Yes,” but he could not tell what time. The  first
accusedasked the witness how many days he spent in a cell before appearing
before thepanel, and the witness responded, “I don’t  know.”
Answeringquestions from the second accused person, Ebrima Colley,  Detective
Sanyang saidhe was not present when Ebrima was being arrested but he  was at
theinvestigation panel and it was Salif Nyang who recorded Ebrima’s  statement.
Thesecond accused also asked the prosecution witness what he was  asked at
thepanel Sanyang said “Your nationality, your occupation and why you  were in
TheGambia.”
Ebrimaclaimed that he had never seen Sanyang until he  appeared in court but
thewitness maintained that he was part of the  panel.
Alsocross-examining the prosecution witness was the third accused  person
NuhaJammeh who asked him for the period between the time of his arrest  and that
ofhis colleagues, but Sanyang said, “I don’t know.”
Nuhaenquired  whether the items recovered by the investigators were from him
or not,and  Sanyang responded that he did not know because he was not present
when theywere  being arrested.
Nuhaasked Sanyang why he did not mention the name of Salif  Sarjo who is the
causeof their arrest, Sanyang said he did not know it was Salif  Sarjo that
causedtheir arrested.
The thirdaccused person asked the witness  who is to maintain the group of
five in TheGambia, and he said it was the  Senegalese government who gave them
money.
Nuhainsisted that the group of  five is created by the witness in court and
it doesnot exist, but Sanyang denied  that.
Thefourth accused person Lamin Sambou asked Sanyang if he knows whether
heappeared before the panel and on which day, the witness said he was at  thepanel
but he could not remember the date. Lamin put it to him that it was
SalifNyang who took his statement and Sanyang was not there. Sanyang responded  thathe
was at the panel but not when statements were being obtained. The
fifthaccused person, Ansumana Jarju did not cross-examine the  witness.
TamsirBadjie, the sixth accused person asked Sanyang if he had seen  the
pictures ofthe State House allegedly recovered from them and he said  “yes.”
Tamsiralso asked if those items recovered were from an individual or  from
the group,Sanyang said he did not know. He asked the witness if he was at  the
NIA beforeor after their arrest and Sanyang answered that it was after their
arrest.
Sanyangadded that he was then told about the accused persons and  later on
learnt that theywere nine men.
JosephJatta, the seventh accused  person also did not conduct
cross-examination.
AbdouSalam Jammeh, the eighth  accused person asked Sanyang if he was at the
panel inthe morning or evening,  and he said he was there at midday onwards.
Abdouclaimed that, at night, he  used to be taken from the police
headquarters to theNIA office for interrogation  but Sanyang said he is not aware.
Abdoualso told the witness that there used  to be other men (Momodou Jola
Badjie andLamin Jarju) from Salif Sarjo’s faction  who were at the investigative
panel,again Sanyang said it is not  true.
Theprosecution witness replied that he appeared three times at the  panel.
Finally,Wuyeh Jarju the ninth accused person asked Sanyang how many
statements heobtained from him and he said “Only one.” Wuyeh asked whether the  rebel
grouphe belongs to is on the statement, Sanyang said “No,” adding that he
do notremember the group as well.

Note: See Attachment for the Local  Government Election Results

48)