GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:50:01 EDT

Sorry folks, the link to visit if you wanna pledge or make dnations to the
Fatou Jaw Manneh Fund is
_http://www.thegdp.wordpress.com/Fatou-Jaw-Manneh-Cove/_ (http://www.thegdp.wordpress.com/Fatou-Jaw-Manneh-Cove/)

In a message dated 8/31/2008 4:43:51 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Ladies  & Gentlemen of Ellen, You may share this with our friends at  Posten,

anyone.

Those of us who have homes or aspire to having a home, look  forward to
owning a lawn mower for yard maintenance. Generally, if  you have up to one
acre  of
property, you are ok with a Push mower.  Over the years, manufacturers of
mowers have improved on their  products. One significant improvement is the
drivetrain. This was  done to acknowledge inclines in your lawn and to
appreciate
that not  all homeowners are equally physically capable. Plus, some
wives/women
of our households desire to mow the lawn every once in a while. Suntou,  I'm
not  advising you delegate regular mowing of your lawn to the  women of the
house. I  just thought I'd make that clear from the git  go. I do not
encourage
husband and  male delinquency or female abuse  under the guise of 50/50.

Now then, there are other mowers such as  riding mowers and tractors. These
also come with bells and whistles  such as cup-holders, DVDs like the cranes
that  were once purchased  for the Gambia Ports Authority, (you're killin
me), and
lumbar seats.  Those are not my concern here. I will only focus on push and
self-propelled mowers. Now go away.

So if you have a relatively  flat to minimally undulating lawn, a Push mower
will do you just  fine. If however you have hilly terrain or you are not in
great  physical shape, a self-propelled push mower is your ticket. The
difference
between the two is about $80-$120 and the fact that a self propelled mower
is  one equipped with a transmission and drive-belt. Otherwise they  are
totally
the  exact same. I will start with what is common to both  mowers despite
different  manufacturers:

A) Some of the mowers  come with both an oil and fuel reservoir. Others come
only with a  fuel reservoir but it a fuel/oil mixture you would use. Please
look   at the instruction for proper mixture and whatever you do, do not
alter the
engine specs like I'm wont to do and DO NOT put diesel fuel in  gasoline
engines.

B) Make sure you have adequate fuel and or  oil in their respective
reservoirs. Clean debris and soil that is  stuck to the bottom of the mower
after  each
use or at the end of the  mowing season. Also, if you have spark plugs, make
sure to replace  them every year and lubricate moving parts.

C) When your belt is  damaged or entangled, Place the mower on a stand about
waist-high.  Remember to tighten the gas and oil caps before lifting the
mower
to  work on the underside. Lift the mower to access the underside. There is
nut holding the blade. Loosen that bolt. Remove the blade. Remmember  to
sharpen the blade at this time if needed. proceed to remove the  washers
behind
the blade and remember the order of removal because  that is exactly how you
will
reassemble them. Remove the plastic cover  separating the blade from the
inner  parts. You will now see the  pulleys around which your drive belt is
wound.
Lay  the mower back  down. loosen the screws holding the plastic housing on
the
top-front of  your mower, remove the plastic cover. You will now see the
other   pulley of the pair around which the drive-belt is wound. Remove the
belt,
and if damaged, take it to your local hardware store to  replace it. If it is

only entangled, remove it and straighten it.  Remount the drive-belt  around
both pulleys. Replace the top-front  cover and secure its bolts. Then  lift
the
mower again and reassemble  the parts of the underside. You now have a  brand
spanking new mower,  save for the paint. And remember, I have just saved  you
anxiety,  time, and about $50-$75 of repair cost and the peace of mind is
priceless. Wont you send a donation of $20-$100 to our Fatou Jaw Manneh  Fund
at
_http://www.thegdp.wordpress.com/fatoujawmannehcove/_
(http://www.thegdp.wordpress.com/fatoujawmannehcove/) ?

Thank you  people. There is more value where these came from. One good turn
deserves another.

Your bestest pal, Haruna Darbo.

In a  message dated 8/30/2008 12:39:15 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,