GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:27:00 -0400
Darboe Describes Repeal Of Decree 89 As A Victory For Democracy - As Juwara
Brands Jammeh Unfit

The leader of the main opposition United Democratic Party, Lawyer Ousainou
Darboe, has said that the lifting of Decree 89 is a victory for democracy
for the Gambia and would unite Opposition parties, especially the unbanned
former politicians, in a bid to flush out the Jammeh administration in the
October elections. Addressing several thousands of party supporters on
Saturday at Kanifing South, the UDP leader, who was chanting the slogan
'Sopi, Sopi,' meaning 'change, change,' informed his audience that the
international pressure compelled President Jammeh to repeal Decree 89.

While commending all pro democracy activists for their move in ensuring the
repeal of Decree 89, Darboe told his jubilant supporters that the ban
imposed on the first Republic's politicians was grossly unfair and was aimed
at denying Gambians the freedom to elect the representatives of their
choice. "So the lifting of Decree 89 is a victory for Gambians. It is also a
victory for democracy for The Gambia. It shows that lies and injustice don't
last," Darboe told UDP's most crowded political rally. The UDP leader, who
strongly criticised the ban, said: "We have seen that Gambia's return to
democracy is very imminent and there is no going back." Darboe dismissed a
notion held by the ruling APRC that lifting of the ban would create division
among the Opposition, charging that they, the vanguard of the opposition,
are not hungry for power.

"I must point out that they are the ones hungry for power and not us. Both
the unbanned and the current opposition politicians are not hungry for
power. We are committed to the Gambia and we will make sure that the
country's image is promoted to higher heights as anticipated by Gambians,"
said Mr. Darboe, while deploring the current hardship which hit Gambians. He
assured his supporters that there is a high degree of unity among the
opposition. The UDP leader also congratulated Gambians abroad, especially
those in America, England and Norway, for what he called their tireless
efforts in ensuring that the bad decree is scrapped. "We also want to
congratulate the unbanned politicians, because they are not selfish.

We have seen their colleagues who were also banned, running errands for
these people. They went to the extent of addressing political platforms with
effrontery. They are selfish and are only interested in lining their
pockets. They lacked principles," charged the UDP leader. Mr. Darboe
therefore commended former president, Sir. Dawda Kairaba Jawara, Sheriff
Mustapha Dibba, former leader of NCP, Assan Musa Camara, OJ Jallow and
others for having the country's interest at heart by not associating
themselves with the APRC. "They have the country's interest at heart. They
have principles and they have never believed in military regime. They have
never supported unconstitutional change of government. They have never
supported corrupt military regimes anywhere. That's was why they could not
go with them," said Darboe.

Darboe added that former Vice president Saihou Sabally, Lamin Kiti Jabang,
and OJ Jallow, whom he described as influential in some areas in the Greater
Banjul Area, could have joined the APRC but had never ventured to compromise
their principles. "We congratulate them for standing by their principles,
for rejecting anything that had resemblance of military administration. We
congratulate them for standing by all pro- democracy movements in this
country. We congratulate them for their steadfast beliefs in
constitutionalism," said Darboe who was applauded by jubilant supporters. He
also highlighted his party's plans when voted into office.

Meanwhile, the UDP National Secretary, Lamin Waa Juwara, has said that he
had described President Yahya Jammeh as a non- credible leader after his
promise to electrify 98% of the Gambia before July 22nd, 2001 bit the dust.
"It is now ripe for me to respond to Jammeh on the issue. It is not possible
for him to electrify 98% of The Gambia but he went ahead by making blanket
promises. Then why did he celebrate the day because he said if his promise
has not been fulfilled there would not be any. Yahya Jammeh is definitely
incredible," he said. The UDP vocalist told the mass rally that people are
enjoying Yahya Jammeh and his aide, Yankuba Touray as they issue conflicting
statements to the public. "Let President Jammeh resign because his
revolution is meaningless.

The real revolution took place in Cuba, Iran and Libya," Juwara blurted. In
all these countries, Juwara said, heads of states, cabinet ministers and
their offspring have been massacred. "Let him go to Cuba. Where is Battista
and his cabinet ministers. In Libya where is King Idriss and family," he
said. Turning to decree 89 which was lifted on July 22nd, Juwara lamented:
"Decree 89 is dead on July 22 and MPs are going to lay it in state on
Tuesday. Let me inform you that APRC also is dead because ask Jammeh why he
had banned PPP, NCP and GPP. It all boils down to fear and it is due to the
same fear that I was jailed." "Following the promulgation of Decree 89, you
have made a wise decision by putting in your lead Ousainou Darboe, the
leader of UDP. I heard it in prison but I was there for the restoration of
democracy, The Gambia and Ousainou. Through concerted efforts you have
mounted a war against Decree 89 under the banner of UDP until you gained
victory. This is the major victory towards the restoration of democracy to
the Gambia. Gambia is worth a lot to us," Juwara said.

Email

Beran S. Jeng