GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Binneh Minteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:25:00 -0500
PETITIONS TO THE US EMBASSY IN BANJUL.

OPTV recommends that Gambians in the diaspora send faxes to the US embassy
in Banjul their fax number is as follows:(220)4392475. The outgoing
Ambassador McCdonnald according to sources has been redeployed to Guinea
Bissau.That can help Gambians in Bissau win the sympathy of the US
authorities especially those who went on exile there after having been
threatened by Jammeh.The fact that a diplomat is gone out of Banjul should
not make us stop spreading news to reach his or her destination.
Reports from independent parties help a lot.Ambassador McCdonnald could not
have known a lot about Yahya while serving back home because he was limited
within the ethics of the job itself.The new US Ambassador also is from
Ivory Coast so that in itself can help because the man like other diplomats
might have seen signals before the Cote D'Ivoire war started,therefore can
understand and detect the same syndrome in Banjul these days.Gambians
especially those abroad should influence the  embassy's yearly country
reports now onwards.They have a say in the affairs of our country and
should speak through the right channels.It is good to use the internet fora
however things will work faster when the information is sent through some
more sophisticated channels.
OPTV cannot dictate Gambians as to what they should write,however one thing
should be borne in mind,that is,law or regualtions do not respect
rhetoric,they only respect facts.Most of us have facts that are yet to be
on line so make good use of the available contacts.The new ambassador
whoever he is, cannot iand will never ignore the concerns of Gambians. The
US authorities established relations with the people and not one man.They
will certainly listen to the voices of the Gambians provided that they cry
at the right place and at the right time.Now is the right time and we know
the right places too.The state department also will listen to the reports
from Banjul(their embassy) more than anything else, for the United States
is a country of great democratic virtures and principles that respects the
rule of law and the voice of the people. "MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS AMERICA"

This is a war and OPTV as I always say here is ready to touch the sky with
Yahya Jammeh.He must be exposed beyond reasonable doubt.Yahya is invited to
defend himself anywhere OPTV speaks and we are also ready to defend our
position and facts face to face with Yahya or his envoys if they so wish.
Infact OPTV is doing more work behind the scenes than Yahya and his corines
may imagine.The above fact is part of the democratic routine and in this
country these cordinates are left in the open.Omar Joof,in Canada might as
well use this and send his latest petition as far as the demonstrations and
abuse of human rights in The Gambia is concerned.His efforts are remarkable
and we will support each other to the letter.
Yahya has always been saying that the internet is full of talkatives and
frustrated people because all people did was writing- criticise in bits and
pieces (insulting one another) and then stop there. Now he will certainly
see us write,speak on radios,circulate petitions and implicating
reports,sponsor shows,approach the AU and other regional or international
bodies before any uprising starts.This is a good way of showing the world
how we need their help otherwise if they fail,we will have another Liberia
in Gambia.West Africa is a strategic place for the US and other countries
like France and so on.These countries will rather urge this mad man to
depart than sit around watch us start killing each other!! Yahya will learn
and understand that Allah can help one or few souls defeat Him with his old
armoured cars from Egypt and Ukriane or Bulgaria.He is a sick man and we
rely on God to cure him as soon as possible.
If all these things fall on his deaf ears then he will know that people
have access to places that he may not even think of.Yahya will learn the
hard way and the hard will teach him a lesson.

Binneh S Minteh
New York University.