GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Samba Goddard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:15:02 +0100
Assalamu alaikum G-L
Alhamdullila, Thank you very much Adou Sey for bringing this
BOLL ROLLING on the Forum,called Football or Soccer.
I really enjoy this discussion but I did not see anyone mention a player
from Augustinians, neither do anyone mention the miracle Augustinian
team did during the midle of the 80`s as far as soccer is concern.

Gambians has talent and determination in soccer,but no support at all.
I want to tell you about myself without any pretention or show off.

When I was a little boy I used to `Nyaye fence`,sometime I used to
go to old lines by the police berracks or went to Primet street one of the high
buildings to watch football match as a poor student,there was a police officer
we used to called endurance,he was very active whenever he saw you `Nyaying
the fence` he will come and get you out and beat you very seriously.
I like the game verymuch but could not affort to pay to get inn,especially when
Real is playing.
Realy De Banjul was my favourite team,and the late Nyaga Sallah,(may Allah Shower
him with his Mercy) who died tragically in the July 81 Coup,is just like am seeing his
image right now,I can remember the day of the coup he put on red track suite with
white stricks on.
For those who saw him that they,correct me if I am wrong. I will never forget that day
in my life.
Nyanga Sallah was a winger left that I used to imitate how he play soccer,and I am
natural left also like him.
I want to mention some of the Real players that I can remember
during the late 70`s and the bigenning of the 80`s:-

Nyanga Sallah,Butut Joof,Pegee,Saihou Sarr,Garba Touray,Musa
Njie,Garnet,Kebba Ceesay,Serign Fye, Jim Boy Mahoney and the
others.

In 1983 I started to trained very hard to join the Real Team.
One day I went to the beach side to trained, I meet the Augustinians
Team training and I did join them,after training, one of them asked
me wheather I would like to play for them,I can`t remember who he
was,but any way I did joined them.
After I went home and said to myself that maybe I should joined
them so that people can see what I can do in the field of
soccer,from there maybe I can get the chance to play for Real.
Augustinians was at the second division Teams at that time,I played
for them for one season and we became last and has to go to Third
division,most of the others dont want to played Third division.
Sam Thorpe tried hard to recruit the young boys,and I did help him
by talking with some of the youngstars that I trained together with for
many Years and know each other. Although I was older than them
but it doesn`t metter for me as far as we understand each other,no
problem.

With the help of God! we started from Third division,and we qualified
for the Second division after Second division,we qualified to the
First division Teams,there we defited all the First division Teams,both
first round and second round,except Hawks that had onedraw and
one defit against us,but the Big Teams like Wallidan and Real we
beat them both first round and second round for first time in the
history of Soccer in the Gambia. From Third division to First division
and became the League Champion`s.
Augustinians brake a record from 1983 up to 1987 they were the
best Team in the Gambia.With the help of God!,Sam Thorpe,Poul
Silver and Joe.We used to trained very hard than any other Team,
sometimes we used to train two hours physically without ball control
that`s why any Team that know`s that you are going to have
Augustinians you have to trained extra hours.Birri and Saihou Sarr
know`s that or any other player who was playing Soccer by that time
and join the Gambia-L,I challange you for what I said about
Augustinians during 84-87. We were the best with out any pretention
or neither showing off.

My dream did not came true,cause Real De Banjul was my favourite
Team.

Augustinians was playing against Real during the second round and
that march was a march that we had to win to be came the League
Champion`s.
I got fracture on my left foot during the first five minutes by the Real
gaolkepper Mam Malick Khan and that was his first march to play for
Real De Banjul,and my last march also for Augustinians.

Augustinians during 1984-87 had a Team that could represent the
Gambia National Team,because we played collectivly and were
physically fit and know each other,understand each other.
We had good trainers and coach like Sam Thorpe and Poul Silver
they were both fantastic and understandable. I dont forget our
Manager August Prome and all those who were supporting us.

May God give them longlife,goodhealth and progress.

Thank you Adou for the support and interest you have for the Game.
And I dont forget Modou Mbye who mention my best favourite player
Nyanga Sallah(may Allah Shower him with His Mercy)

If the GFA has good support and stop selecting their own stars from
their own Teams,and try to chosed good players fairly,then I
grauntee the Gambian`s will be well known in African Soccer like
Nigeria and the other African Teams who performed in the World
Cup. Because is to select good Team,and give them good support
that`s all. The boys can play good Soccer,they have energy, skills
and determination.

Sam Thorpe wrote:

Hi Pulo,
Is this the Pulo that played for Augustinians Foot ball Team during
the 80`s. Am Coach Sam Thorpe,now working as the Chief
executive of the Gambia YMCA.
Merry Chirstmas and a happy Millennium.
Thank you for your attention.
Sam.B.Thorpe.

YES! Coach Sam that`s your winger left who played for the
Augustinians Dream Team during the 80`s. From  84-87.

Congratulation for you new Post.
May God bless you Coach Sammy.

I wish you Marry Christmas and a happy Millennium.

Bamba Laye wrote:
Yus,
It is rather unfortunate that the boys may never have the chance to get the outside
experience they need to face some of these soccer giants simply because the funds are not there. The GFA (up to the end of '94) under the leadership of O.B Conateh, Sosseh and others, have tried collectively and personnaly to revive the talents in these young men, unfortunately, their efforts
have not been reciprocated by the government. If only the government can see the
future dividend to be earned in these young talents, they should look into the matter
with serious contention.
As far as the match-ups, I think they have equal chance to face these giants like
everyone else, the unfortunate thing is that they don't have the same resources
as others. There is no doubt that they can put these giants to task if all else is there.
With that in mind, I would like to urge every soccer enthusiast at home and abroad
to support the GFA by all means necessary to take Gambian soccer to right level.

Abdoulie A. Jallow wrote:

    The Gambia simply does not invest enough money in football to develop a
    strong footballing tradition locally or  in the international arena.  Also,
    we did not ride or build on the momentum that our soccer had garnered during
    two specific periods during the 80s.  The first opportunity to ride the crest
    was during the 1980 Zone Two tournament
    or the government for the fate that has befallen our football because there
    are too many extraneous circumstances involved  in this decline.  Gambian
    soccer has  been a victim of some mismanagement and uncontrollable
    circumstances as is the case in many African countries.

    Again, I don't intend to sound like a gloomy pessimist because we are capable
    of producing as much talent as countries like Senegal or Liberia .

    Thank you very much Bamba Laye and Yusupha also for you comments
     I agree with you for your additional Facts.

   May your Today better than your Yesterday,and your Tomorrow better than
   your Today.....Ameeen!!!!!

   Allahummasalli alaa saidina Muhammadin wa alaa alli Muhammadin

  Samba Goddard
  (Pulo)