GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:58:52 EDT

Ma Yero,

Where do I start?????? I thought this was a no brainer but I reflected. I  do
not want to come off as condescending. So here's me taking a crack at  this:

I presume your friend is an American citizen and or qualifies for  enlistment
in the Armed forces of the United States. My first query would be to  find
out from your fiend why he wished to join the United States Armed forces.  This
is because there are various ways to serve the United States different from
joining the military. However, if your friend contemplates joining the military
 but wished Islamic or Quranic advice, your friend has his priorities messed
up.  If your friend really does have such potential decision conflicts, I
advise that  he NOT enlist in the military but consider philanthropy or volunteer
work in his  immediate American community. Because he/she will not do well in
the military  and may be tempted to become an agent provocateur.

Joining the US military would mean promising to safeguard the United States
and her interests, the honour of serving God and country, and to assist in
upholding the constitution of the USA.

Being a muslim means to believe in the five pillars that identify a  muslim,
and serving Allah and self.

In the USA, there are christians and muslims in addition to Jews, Hindus,
buddhists, Jehovah's witnesses, etcetera. Therefore, a muslim serving the United
 states serves him/herself, other muslims, christians, Jews,  hindus,
mormons, and buddhists. Islam has enlisted many a man to serve  alongside Muhammad.
The badr of Hudaybiyya comes to mind. All the while serving  self and Allah.
Where a muslim finds that a particular engagement runs contrary  to his or her
religion, The US constitution makes room for conscientious or  religious
objectors. Muhammed Ali comes to mind.

Yero, it is not a good idea to consider religious edicts when desiring to
serve God and country. The separation of state and religion would advise
estoppel. It is good that your friend shares his quandry with you prior to
enlisting. We all thank him/her for that. I would not want him serving in my
military. I will be for ever jittery.

Where have you been for the last year or so??? I missed your bazula
galagawangas. Oh yeah, and your poems. Yero montesgue. Haruna.

  In a message dated 7/23/2008 5:17:40 P.M. Mountain Daylight  Time,