GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:55:38 -0400
Jaiteh, for you to suggest that us talking about this case in public is
irresponsible and we are putting people's lives in jeopardy, is grossly
unfair and misleading. You made this erroneous attack on G_L the other day
and pretended that you sent the mail to us inadvertently. I took it in good
faith and sought to explain to both you and Bamba Laye that I do not think
that this discussion will hurt the accused persons. Despite that you have
not shown an iota of proof that what we said is going to hurt the accused
persons, you still insist that we are being irresponsible by engaging in
this discussion. If you doubt whether these Statements are authentic, why
don't you ask Lalo's lawyers for your own personal consumption? I understand
Lalo is family to you. Why don't you quit making these vague statements and
innuendo and come up with specific facts? Prove that Ebrima's Sources are
wrong about the authenticity of these Statements. If you really do not want
to talk about it publicly, tell me or Ebrima in private why you believe
these Statements are not authentic. You should not take lightly how you
constantly question people's motives and integrity.

For your information, I do NOT discuss everything I know about these cases.
My latest posting to G_L illustrates that point. I know more about the
Emanuel Joof case than I just said. Do you know the reason why I did that
even before you sent this your ill-advised piece? I think about the
repercussions of my statements on these cases before I utter them. I will be
the last person to say something that will put the lives of these innocent
citizens in jeopardy. I can even go further and say that I could be more
guarded than some of the accused persons themselves. None of them is family
to me. Matter of fact, I do not know any of them personally. But I am very
concerned about their plight. I hate what is happening to them. I do not
assume from your silence on G_L about this matter that you do not care about
Lalo. I give you benefit of the doubt. Why don't you accord us the same
courtesy and not insinuate that we are irresponsible? Before you make us
aspersions, you should be ready to show how our statements negatively impact
the lives of Dumo et al.

Do you realize that your statements even affect family members of victims
that partake in these discussions you are querying about? Are you suggesting
too that those people are irresponsible and are indifferent to the plight of
their loved ones? I know you do not mean to inflict more misery on these
poor victims. But it is mind-boggling to me why you keep attacking people
that are trying to help without substantiating your beliefs.

There are some List members that can attest to you that since last year I
would send private mails to certain individuals cautioning them about what
to release regarding this case. You would not know that. Those were tactical
calls in order not to jeopardize the defense of these innocent citizens.
Those were NOT the calls of someone that is indifferent to the plight of
these victims and would discuss their case in public to their detriment. I
challenge you or anyone to show me where in my discussions I jeopardize
these people's lives.

Like I told Bamba Laye, what did you want people to do once this 'damaging'
Statements were out there? Granted that even to the amateur there is nothing
damaging on Lalo. You want for us to us to ignore the Statements entirely?
You want the whole world to take what Barrow, Sanyang and Francesco said is
the truth? Or do you want us to lamely argue that the Statements are not
authentic without providing proof? If you have proof that the Statements are
fake, fine. Let us know and we will stop talking about these Statements as
if they are authentic. That is better than just throwing accusations at
people and pretending that you care for Lalo and we do not care about his
life.

Let me also inform you that I am not looking at this as a political matter.
I feel that some innocent citizens are being victimized by a lawless regime.
I feel what happened to these citizens could have happened to any of our
family members. As I keep pointing out, my main focus is on the way the
threshold has been lowered for all of us. Now it does not take much to
arrest and incarcerate innocent citizens. I will appreciate it a great deal
if some of you people on G_L were more forthright. Speak directly to people
if you have something to say. No one will kill you. Talk directly to me if
you have a problem or directly to Ebrima if you have a problem with his
Sources.
KB