GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:31:22 +0200
Mr. Owens and Camara,

I agree in principle with both of you that there are grounds to suspect the
motives of the author of the article in The Daily Observer.
Nevertheless, I think dismissing it outright is not necessary.
We can all simply thank the author for his opinion and counter that:
1. Well, we hope to learn the lessons from Kenya, Senegal and elsewhere and
make sure the Gambian Coalition avoids similar fates.

2. That the Gambian Coalition will emerge with a platform that outlines the
politics of a post-APRC Gambia.

3. That a country as economically and socially battered as Gambia, deserves
a politcal life that is more responsive to the needs of its tired
population; deserves a vision that rejects the very thick climate of elitist
arrogance; deserves a leadership that RESPECTS(!) Gambians for all their
strengths and weaknesses.

4. That a Gambian Coalition is politically matured enough to recognise that
the struggle is not fundamentally to sweep the APRC tyranny from power; but
to replace it with a dispensation that is astronomically better.

Cheers,
Sidibeh