GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 15:23:16 -0500
Jabou, Dave and others,

The role of Government in allocating land to private investors is an
important issue which needs to be addressed urgently. I have very little
time these days as I wrap-up my affairs at the AfDB to start a new
professional life.  As soon as I have some free time, I will comment on
this issue and the implications of having to abort TAF's project for the
second time running. I am concerned about the impact that the current
dispute will have on investor confidence in The Gambian economy which is
already very low. I must say that Shelter Afrique's Management and Board
must be wondering what is going on in Banjul since they are part-financing
the project.

Dr Jeng and others have outlined the land tenure system in The Gambia wh
ich
is a good starting point. While I appreciate the concerns expressed by the
Manneh Kunda Kabilo of Brufut, I am also concerned about the net effect of
these disputes. First it was Bakau and now Brufut.  The much talked-about
decentralisation of provincial administration, first mooted in the mid 80s
must be given top priority by the Department of Local Government which, if
properly implemented, will obviate the need for constant central government
intervention on issues that are purely local in nature. Cheers!

Sidi Sanneh