GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 20:59:23 +0000
Saiks, thanks for this forward.  It's going on to three years and
continuing, why are the farmers still pleading with the government?  Yaya
pretty much swept all these farming communities in the presidential
elections, thus we can safely assume that the majority voted for him and he
promissed them everything under the sun.  Everyone is his cabinet is being
paid without exception (executive).  The NAMs are paid without exception
(legislature).  The Judges and the military thugs are being paid without
exception (Judiciary).  All these three branches of the government are not
revenue generating and at best are expense accounts that put us in the red,
but they are always paid and on time.  The farmers are our backbone but yet,
they have been paid with an IOU for the past three years.  I say the farmers
need to converge in the city and make sure government business is disrupted
if they are not paid.  Remember how the teachers used to converge on the
Department of Education and force the hand of the government to pay them, it
will not be any different with the farmers.  The only way they are going to
get paid is to take the bull by its horns - take to the streets.  I hope
they get organized and demand justice for their sweat.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou