GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:10:43 PDT
Dear Sisters,
Destructive elements like Imam Fatty are the biggest treat to the development
of our human society.His ignorance and the fear of loosing control will always
blind him to the truth.If he does not have respect for his muslim fellows(the
Ahmaddyias)how do we expect him to have respect for the ideas of those who
think different.I am sure that Gambian women will not let such people to
dictate their lives.Who is even paying this  man as the Imam of State House ?
I only hope that it is not the money of tax payers.
This is not  the first time at it will not be the last to hear such disgusting
elements demanding the rolling back of Human development.To say that the idea
of freedom is the property of the West is the biggest insult
to the human being.It is not new that Fascist hide them selves behind
religion(as in Afghanistan,Iran etc)to justify the oppression of their fellow
human beings.But this Imam will understand that Gambian women are no property
of men,they are capable of thinking for them selves.

For Freedom

Saiks

>       MIME Type: multipart/related

      The Daily Observer Published at 12:00pm G.M.T 08/18/99

      Gamcotrap reacts to Imam Fatty

     The women's advocacy group on harmful traditional practices affecting
women and children, Gamcotrap,  yesterday, reacted to the statement attributed
to the vocal imam of State House mosque, Abdoulie Fatty,  describing women
activists as "infidels who are subverting Islam."

      Mary Small, Gamcotrap's coordinator told the Daily Observer that some
Islamic scholars felt threatened by the messages to empower women. She denied
any foreign power bankrolling the organisation adding that they are above such
deals.

      Ms Small said the Holy Qur'an has been translated into various languages
including English and that,"it has been realised that, in fact, there is
nothing like religious injunction particularly on female genital mutilation,"
she claimed.

      Ms Small said their FGM campaign "is going on in full force," adding
that recently they met Islamic scholars in the Central River Division to
discuss the issue.

      She said that the meeting was successful. She said that religious people
play an important role in the society and as such, are Gamcotrap's target.
"They are the first point of contact by women and as a result we can't leave
them behind," she said, stressing, "we are neither forcing nor opposing
anyone. We only stress on information sharing and open dialogue."

      Ms Small revealed that in their endeavour to empower women, Gamcotrap is
now operating a girls' education project aimed at sponsoring girls in primary
and secondary schools, including university.

      The issue of female circumcision, which came to  be popularly known as
female genital mutilation and is now referred to in politically correct
parlance as female genital cutting,  is banned from being discussed over
government-controlled media.  The topic elicits strong reaction from people
advocating its banning as a health hazard and those promoting its continuation
as a respectable social tradition..