GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:01:16 EST
In a message dated 12/8/99 12:55:20 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  In the Name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful   ===
 ===             McMaster MSA Net (MMN)                   ===

 The Manners of Fasting

 Ramadan comes with blessings to the Muslims. The reports from the
 Qur'an and the Sunnah encourage an increase in action to get reward as we
 saw and also out of gratefulness to Allah
    who says [in meaning]:

    "(He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that
 you must glorify Allah for having guided you so that you may be grateful
 to Him" [al-Baqara, 2:185]

    and similarly about Hajj;

    "So when you have accomplished your rites (of Hajj) remember Allah as
 you remember your fathers or with a far greater remembrance" [al-Baqara,
2:200]

    1-Eating the Suhoor (the pre-dawn meal)

    Suhoor is distinctive of the Ummah of Muhammad salla Allahu alaihi wa
 sallam; `Amr Ibn al-`Aas reported that the Messenger of Allah, salla Allahu
 alaihi wa sallam, said: "The
    distinction between our fasting and the fasting of the people of the
 book [Jews and Christians] is
    the taking of Suhoor". [Muslim]

    There are blessings in Suhoor ...

    Abu Hurairah narrated that the Messenger of Allah (S) said: "Indeed
 Allah placed blessing in the
    Suhoor and in the weighing [of grain]". [Shirazi and al-Khateeb/
 al-Jami`us-Sagheer; Hasan]

    Anas reported that the Messenger of Allah said: "Eat Suhoor, for there
 are blessings in it."
    [al-Bukhari and Muslim]

    Salman also reported that the Prophet said: "Blessing is in three : The
 Jama`a [the congregation of
    the Muslims], The Thareed [a broth of (crumbled) bread and meat] and
 the Suhoor". [Tabarani
    and Abu Nu`aim; Hasan]

    A companion said: "I entered upon the Prophet (S) and he was taking the
 Suhoor and he said: "It
    is a blessing which Allah has given to you, so do not leave it". [Ahmad
 and an-Nasa'i; Sahih].

    Abud-Dardaa' reported that the Prophet (S) said: "Come to the blessed
 morning meal (meaning
    the Suhoor)". [Ahmad, an-Nasa`i and Abu Dawood].

    "Perhaps the greatest blessing of Suhoor is that Allah Subhanahu wa
 Ta`ala (SWT) [Most High
    and Free of all imperfection], covers the people eating Suhoor with His
 forgiveness and send His
    Mercy upon them. The angles ask for forgiveness for them and supplicate
 to Allah to pardon
    them, so that they may be granted freedom from the Fire by the Most
 Merciful in the month of the
    Qur'an

    Abu Said al-Khudri said: The Prophet (S) said: "The Suhoor is a meal of
 blessings, so do not
    leave it, even if one of you just takes a gulp of water, since Allah
 sends mercy and His angels
    seek forgiveness for those who take Suhoor". [Ahmad and Ibn Abi
 Shaibah]

    These reports from the Prophet (S) leave no room for the believer to
 miss Suhoor. Therefore let
    us take it upon us to never miss it.

    (a) What would fulfill eating Suhoor?

    Eating Suhoor would be fulfilled by eating a small or large quantity of
 food, or even just by
    drinking a sip of water as mentioned in the Hadith of Abu Said
 al-Khudri. However, the best of
    Suhoor is eating dates since the Prophet (S) said: "How excellent are
 dates as the believer's
    Suhoor". [Abu Dawood, Ibn Hibban and al-Baihaqee; Sahih]

    (b) The time for Suhoor: The time for Suhoor is between the middle of
 the night and dawn. It is
    considered best to delay it (that is, as close to dawn a possible).

    The Prophet (S) said: "Hasten the breaking of the fast and delay the
 Suhoor". [Sahih al-Jami`]

    Zaid ibn Thabit reported: "We ate Suhoor with the Messenger of Allah
 and then we got up for the
    prayer. He was asked: 'What was the amount of time between the two?' He
 responded: '[The
    time it would take to recite] fifty ayat."' [al-Bukhari and Muslim].

    'Amr ibn Maimun adds: "The companions of Muhammad (S), would be the
 first to break the fast
    and the last to eat their Suhoor." [al-Baihaqi, Abdur-Razzaq and
 al-Haithami; Sahih]

    The Prophet (S) said: "We, the Prophets, have been ordered to hasten
 breaking the fast, delay
    the Suhoor, and to put our right hand on the left one in prayer".
 [Sahih al-Jami`]