GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:45:58 PDT
Tony Cisse <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Tony,

However I did make it very clear that I am no fans of Musa simply because the
contents of his songs are of no interest to me,this I made very clear in my
posting.The reason for raising this issue is the fact that when he left Dakar
to Banjul there were lots of expectations on his side and his Gambian fans and
this expectations should be respected.There is something principle in this
case,he is been promised by a head of State and even if the situation changed
he deserve an explanation.This is what I am trying to say but not what
national decorations are all about.Now even president Jammeh is being referred
to as Dr jammeh.eh hee,obs
I hope that my point is clear now.

For Freedom

Saiks

Jaajef Saiks and all on the L,

I liked your piece about Musa Ngom and his difficulties, however I do not
believe that despair is the order of the day on this. Musa has had many
ups and downs in his career, in Gambia as well as in Senegal. I can
remember meeting him in Dakar in one of his "down" periods when he
was at Grand Yoff and seeing him play a new years show in a small bar
of dubious reputation called "Columbia" at Djamnadjo in Senegal...a
contrast to other times when he has been one of the most influential
musicians around packing stadiums. However one of my favorite songs
he has written is very relevant; "Artiste" where he sings "Artist du
daanu, artist bu fonka liggeyam..."

Whilst I appreciate your point about broken promises, at the end of the
day being an artist is less about medals and national honours than about
the creative process and the response from the audience. One of the
best artists in Senegal is Ouza who to my knowledge has never been
given a medal, who has had his records banned, who has been
harrassed by the authorities, but who carries on a succssess because
"deff fonkk liggeyam". In the past, it seems that there has been an issue
about the Gambian public recognising Gambian artists, whilst in Senegal
they were always more popular... I can remeber the same being true of
Ifangbondi... maybe the initiative of new music around Yellowgate might
reverse this trend, but I my opinion this whole issue is more about
self-pride and self-respect than about official patronage (which has
never really done much for artistic creativity anywhere), in the same
way as having Gambian images on Gambian stamps is.

Anyway I truly believe that whatever the situation Musa "deff fonkk
liggeyam" and therefore "daanu bi du yagg"

Yeendu ak jaam

Tony

>>> saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]> 21/June/1999 02:18am

          THE  SAD STORY OF MUSA NGOM

For some time back we learn that Musa Ngom is not even in the position
to pay
his house rent.This alone is no big deal,we know there many who cant
pay their
house rent,but in the case of Musa Ngom he was leaving in Senegal,
perhaps
more secured and respected,he was ask by his president if he would
prefer
leaving in his own house or the house of a friend.Musa opted for his
own house
and that is,Gambia,  his president(Dr Alhagi Yaya a.j.j.Jammeh)promised
that
his government will do all they can to help him realize his dreams as one
of
the most recognized Gambian musician in Senegambia.Musa never got
again any
session with this president.He even hired a Taxi to the country -side
during a
presidential tour,just to be able to remind him of all the promises,he never
got near the president,he has to pay the Taxi Driver with his
speakers.Leaving
in his own house seems to be more and more uncomfortable.But in his
friends
house(SENEGAL)memories of his talents as a god musician were still
alive,they
decorated him with one of their highest cultural decorations.Here my
conscience did remind me that narrow minded nationalism is very
dangerous.Perhaps Musa should have stayed in Senegal and his music
will
without doubt continue to get to the Gambia and inspire Gambian
musicians.I am
no fans of Musa,simply because the contents of his music do not contain
any
message of substance as far as i am concern.By the way "Ovare"
(working-Class)as far as I am concern is the best that musa has ever
produced.But the fact that we must not only sit and see injustice done to
some
one, made me interested in this case,as was the case of Donkey ,Syngle
etc.They lied to him,they handle him badly, and they are now hiding from
him.
Since I did not hear anything more on this case,I have my doubts if  Musa
is
been heard,if so I would love to be inform,however not to take any
chance ,I
am appealing to  Tombong Saidy ,who is not only the Director of our TV
station
but also a strong defender of the regime, to organized a session
between Musa
and the president so that he (MUSA)could remind the president of all the
promises.Do him a favour Tombong !!!

For Freedom

Saiks

Gambia-L