GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 23:39:34 +0200
Fellow Gambia-Lers,

SIMMA, the Vocational Center that had been headed by the late Satang Jobarteh, is in need of immediate financial assistance.
SIMMA had been partly funded by international donors whose contributions would have saved the day had it not been for difficulties in transactions with concerned banks in the Gambia.
This at a time when the institute needs to pay exam fees for its students who otherwise risk failing to sit to their exams. The staff also need their salaries. The situation cannot be more urgent.

While SIMMA negotiates with the bank to access funds from the donors the rest of us can hardly treat ourselves to the luxury of waiting for the outcome of transactions taking place in Banjul. Not that negotiations in Banjul do not conclude. It is rather that by the time they do so, the baby waiting for the prescribed drugs usually would have died.

Supporting SIMMA is not only a way of honouring Satang Jobarteh's memory. It is also a way of making an important impact on the lives of many many people in Gambia.

This afternoon GESO (Denmark), Gambia Educational Support Organization transferred a substantial sum to SIMMA. Those of us who are members of GESO are very proud that we have been able, once again, to step up efforts to assist Gambian students in need. As I use this space to encourage members to settle subscription arrears, I would also ask all of you to join GESO and make a difference in our country. I should also like to urge the secretary of GESO-Denmark, Mr. Asbjorn Nordam, to cultivate time, inspite of his neck-breaking schedule, to update the L on GESO.

Forgive me for wasting your time and for looking at your wallet!

Momodou S Sidibeh