GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 18:11:37 EDT
Absjorn,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful ideal.
However, while reconcilliation may be a noble and desirable thing, the
problem we have in the Gambia is that we are not dealing with people who have
a conscience, and who can be moved to do the right thing.In order to  have an
atmosphere where dialogue and ultimately reconciliation occurs, you have to
be dealing with people who are motivated by things other than what this
regime is motivated by.

Instead, it is documented by the actions of this regime that we are dealing
with robbers and people of very bad character who have one aim. They see
their positions as  positions of proviledge from where they can enrich
themselves and live extravagant lifestyles at the expense of the people, and
which priviledge they will  do anything to maintain, including killing.

Therefore, the questions becomes, how does one appeal  to a person without
conscience or the smallest iota of desire to do the right thing? How do you
bring such people who see positions of leadership as a ticket for highway
robbery to a position where they see their roles as servants of the people
which they are supposed to be?
Absjorn, you do bring forward some interesting points, but we are dealing
with a completely different animal where this regime is concerned, and I am
afraid that some of these approaches is the last thing we can utilize to
bring about changes in our country.
These are common criminals who never should have been in any positions of
responsibility, and  who need to be prosecuted to the fullest, and the
evidence is mounting against these people from day to day. The sooner we can
get them out of there, the better for the Gambian people. One does not
bargain with criminals, you just put them where they belong forthe good of
society as a whole.

Jabou Joh