GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:28:03 EST
Date:       Thu, 20 Apr 2000

From:       ebou colly <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:   YAYA MUST RESIGN. Part 2

YAYA MUST RESIGN

The most logical course of action now is for the immediate removal of Yaya
Jammeh from office. Gambians do not need to wait for any time-buying
investigation or inquest on something that is evidently clear to every honest living
person, Gambian or non-Gambian. Anymore minute wasted would tantamount to making
the Gambians ever look like the slaughterable beasts Yaya termed them to be or
the conforming sheep roped by the butcher. For him to masquerade behind an
ayatollah’s image, quoting the holy Quaran here and there and acting as if he was
not in charge of the direct orders is enough a deceptive crime for him to
face a firing squad. The real Yaya we know was not the one the Gambians saw on TV
the last time. He does not talk or act like the way he pretended and he
cannot write good English like that either. He therefore must have as usual hopped
in bed with one of his intellectual prostitutes and was provided with
something fairly sensible to read. At least that did save him from saying more stupid
things than those who were trying to justify the terrible massacre in the
first days. There is no doubt that he was directly responsible for the order to
shoot and kill; and most likely, he might have also been responsible for
advising Isatou Njie Saidy and Ousman Badjie to tell those criminal lies during their
first press release. As for those two, including Baboucarr Jatta, they are
certainly guilty of carrying out an unlawful order of the worst kind in history-
the killing of unarmed school children. They must be punished for it. Anyway
when criminals commit grave crimes, they always unconsciously leave an
incriminating trail that when scrutinized, is often very visible to the ordinary eye
of honest observers. Invariably, lies told to hide criminal actions are
generally punctuated by hidden flaws that could lead to the actual truth when
followed objectively.

Take for instance the ridiculous lie that the freed criminals in the police
stations broke into the police armories and got the weapons they used to kill
the children. Look at the logic behind that. By standard operational procedures
(SOP) there is nowhere in this world where both arms and ammunitions are kept
in the same armory. So it means that the criminals were either sitting on
their ammunition boxes while on detention waiting for the incident to occur or,
they also found the police ammunition store which they broke into and stole the
bullets they used. Naturally both stories would not have made any sense if
they had attempted to explain where the bullets came from after the guns were
taken. The criminals could not have been under detention with any kinds of
ammunition; and I found it absolutely impossible that at that spontaneous and
chaotic situation, those escaping criminals could be so crafty or thoughtful to arm
them selves properly. It beats any intelligent person’s mind to imagine the
criminals breaking into the armories first and then breaking into the
ammunition stores, getting the magazines, loading and unlocking the weapons and then
finally launching into the streets for the singular purpose of just shooting at
the children. Hello, what were they trying to tell us? Naturally the lies
could not be sustained for too long because the very Gambians who witnessed it saw
the whole killings done by the security forces using live bullets from AK47
assault rifles. It only reminded me of all those lies told after the killings
of innocent Gambians orchestrated by Yaya in the past. However the worst lie
that made me really disgusted with Isatou Njie, Ousman Badjie and Baboucarr
Jatta was the rubber-bullet gun story. I know the weapon inventory in the Gambia
Army the way I know my fingers. Starting from Yundum, Kartong, Farafenni,
Kudang to Basse, none of the armories there have a single rubber-bullet gun. There
are only eight or ten old ones at the Fajara barracks armory, which the police
usually borrow when raiding criminal hideouts. That is to further say that
even the police do not have them at all. So where the heck did they get those
guns? Were they from the armory of Yaya’s “Allah”?

In 1996 there was a minor demonstration by the Muslim high school children
about their right to use the Fajara beach when the police tried to deny them
access to enjoy the tourist resort. The police in tackling that situation beat
and arrested some children. Barely 24 hours after, Yaya removed from office the
Inspector General of Police Gibril Joof, a senior operation commander Turo
Jawneh and I think the school authorities also got some share of the punishment.
Yaya had accused the police and the school principle for being too high-handed
on the children. That is the typical style of Yaya’s reaction to such
national crisis in genera. If he was not guilty he would have instantly started
dismissing, arresting, re-deploying, swearinr to bury people six-foot deep and
above all wearing his frightening killer- baboon face. This time however despite
the fact that the whole country somehow pointed the accusing finger to Badjie
and Jatta in particular, Yaya came and masqueraded as a pious Ayatollah,
quoting the Quaran and talking as if his absence during the massacre should
exonerate him altogether. Yet he would not comment on the public’s demand to punish
the executioners. People I spoke to in the Gambia me surprising reports about
how Yaya looked absolutely pitiful on TV, his face changed like an honest person
telling the truth from his heart. However, as some one rightly put it, in
this desperate moment if those accused were not Jattas and Badjies, but Ceesays,
Manjangs, Jallows, or Jobes, Yaya would have appeared in his true demonic
colors huffing and puffing, dismissing and arresting everywhere with little or no
consideration for initial investigations. Did he not act like that in the last
dubious coup? How many people were victimized since then without
investigation? But in the final analysis, he could not act because he ordered Isatou Njie
Saidy, Ousman Badjie and Baboucarr Jatta to open fire on the kids and kill as
many as possible.

Those of us who know the way Yaya runs his government, whenever he travels,
he is given minute by minute report of all the activities taking place in the
country regardless of how trivial they may seem, much more when they it was
that big this time. In fact my intelligence sources told me that he gave the
order to shoot the kids the day before, when he was leaving for Cuba and was told
that the school children were going to hold the demonstration by force after
they were denied a permit. This is not the first time he gave such evil orders.
After the Kartong attack on the 21st July 1997, he sent the late Almamo
Manneh and some of his Former State Guard thugs to the army headquarter with an
order that the captured Lieutenants- L.F.Jammeh, Alieu Bah and Jarju-must be
executed forthwith. At first we thought the guards were joking, but when Yaya in a
nasty mood called from the State House insisting that the captured soldiers
must be killed to set examples we refused to carry out those unlawful orders.
We told him that killing them was out of it, but if he wanted to do it by him
self we should sign a paper with him for their formal hand over. At last he
relented. If we had carried out that order he perhaps would have turned around
tomorrow and say that he was not aware.

Baboucarr Jatta has said it over and over that on the 13th of November 1994,
although Yaya was at the State House the afternoon Lt. Saye and the other
officers were killed, the final order to kill them came from Yaya. He said that
the final order came through a telephone call he made to Edward Singhateh. And
Jatta further said that because he was the one trying to stop the killing, Yaya
was so upset with him that he decided to snubbed him for almost a month. Haven
’t we learnt that Yaya blessed the killing of Koro Ceesay at the airport the
night before? Yet when he returned, he went to see Koro’s parents and even
shed crocodile tears there pretending to be sympathetic to the family and
promising to leave no stone unturned to catch the culprits. Given some little time,
Baboucarr Jatta would soon start disclosing in dinner tables how they were
ordered by Yaya to kill the children. He would of course make it looked as if
everybody but himself was a party to the crime. Three things are known about the
Chief of Staff’s odd character: he eats a lot, sleeps excessively and could
easily spill his guts out if he is not hungry or sleepy.

So Gambians enough is enough. If this great chance to remove this monster out
of office is not taken and we play by his tricks until things are neutralized
the way Yaya is hoping now, then I can bet that the next disaster would be
too much to handle and might destroy the country forever. So come together in a
common voice and force him out before it is too late. Start thinking about the
date to start the civil disobedience for Yaya to resign for killing our dear
children. The whole world is behind the families of the dead children. I am
glad that every decent Gambian at home and abroad is also behind the families of
the kids. We cannot wait for his removal so that we could build a memorial
site that would remain a permanent reminder to everybody in the Gambia about the
evil day of the 10th of April, the year 2000. It would also be a reminder of
the period when the Gambia was ruled by Yaya Abdulasis Jamus Hunkung Jammeh, a
fake doctor, fake colonel, fake Alhagie and very low life scum’my.

Ebou Colly