GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:59:30 +0100
D-Day For NADD

Who Holds The Flag?

 By Lamin Njie & Alieu Darboe

After a long road marred by hitches here and there, the leadership of the National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD) are expected to raise the curtain over the name of their flag bearer for the October 2006 race.

At press time, information reaching our desk stated that NADD executives still had some few things to settle before they finally agree on who should hold their flag against President Yahya Jammeh in the Presidential elections, which according to political experts, have caused sparks months before the race proper began.

The Gambia's most populous and political bed, Brikama has been chosen for this red-lettered event.

The dates for this long awaited contest are not far away, there is hope for victory in the opposition camp, whose members crisscrossed the length and breath of the country campaigning that Jammeh's era is over. Gambians at home and abroad are desperately to hear the name of chosen NADD candidate.

On the other hand, the ruling party camp, whose members are also limping with some problems, boast of landslide victory for Jammeh against the opposition alliance.

Already, speculations concerning the name of the leader filled the air but NADD officials were economical in their words. "We are still meeting, but we are expected to choose a flag bearer two days before the Brikama event," said an executive.

The Gambia's biggest opposition alliance, which came into existence after opposition leaders' invitation to the United States, was officially launched in May 2005. Since its establishment, NADD officials keep launching attacks on the Jammeh regime for its poor governance. Jammeh vowed that NADD leaders would not rule the country for the next 300 years.

-0-

 Suku Debunks Claims

 By Lamin M. Fatty & Alieu Darboe

The proprietor of Suks International Spedition, Hon. Abdoulie Suku Singhateh has reacted to the latest media reports that he owed farmers more than six million Dalasis.

Hon. Singhateh, who also represents Lower Baddibou in parliament, refuted owning a collateral in Upper Saloum. "I tendered them a collateral of D17.7 million, which is a plot of land situated at Kerewan in Kombo North. This contains 134 plots," he said.

"With their collaborators, farmers went to the Ministry of Land to transfer the ownership of my collateral in Kerewan with the intention to sell it without my consent. I had blocked the process."

Speaking to reporters last Monday at his residence, Hon. Singhateh said he had never threatened farmers that their payment would be delayed as a result of "bad publicity."

He said he had entered into agreement with farmers through the Chief of Upper Saloum, Malick Mbye last April. "The executive members of Group Juboo met me at the APRC bureau and asked me to buy their groundnuts. I told them that I could not buy in cash but with an insurance cover. This suggestion does not go down well with farmers who asked me to provide collaterals. I went to the bank and withdrew my collateral security worth D17.7million."

Singhateh added that he entered into agreement with Group Juboo thus allowing him to buy 1, 000 metric tonnes of groundnuts amounting to 8.4 million Dalasis on credit. "We agreed payment to be effected in three installments, with the last payment expiring on 25th September 2005."

"I have no problems with the farmers and I am doing everything humanely possible to settle their debt before the trade season ends. My argument is that I had paid D0.5 million and D277, 000 that were not mentioned in the last press conference. At present, I had an outstanding balance of D4, 823, 000 to farmers.

Singhateh maintained that The Gambia/Senegal border impasse had impacted negatively on his business, which was why he did not honour his agreement with farmers.

Shortly before his reaction, Suku's attorney, Lawyer Emmanuel Chime had threatened The Independent with legal action if they fail to retract all incorrect allegations against his client. He also claimed 10 million Dalasis compensation for defaming his client's image.

However, Suku denied instructing his lawyer to sue The Independent. "I had no intention to sue The Independent to the courts. That is not my nature," he said.

Suku punched the collaborators of Group Juboo for being interested in smearing his character. "They want to see my downfall at all cost," he said.

Reacting to the story, the Communication Officer at Action Aid said, "Suku effected the last payments after the press conference was convened." He also confirmed the attempted transfer of Suku's collateral. "He had defaulted payments. So he should expect the transfer of the collateral. There is nothing criminal in that. In fact, we were told that he blocked the process."

-0-

 Snake Bites Councillor To Death

 By Buya Jammeh

Tobaski Day was turned into a day of sadness in Pakau Ward when the area's councillor succumbed to a snake bite.

Informed sources reported that Njogou Joof was bitten by a snake on the eve of the Muslim feast at the outskirts of his village. "Njogou was on his way from the farm to his village, Mademba Kunda when the snake bit him. This happened while he was driving a donkey cart, which had hay for his livestock. Njogou was able to kill the snake after it had bitten him," a source confirmed.

According to Hon. Abdoulie Jallow, National Assembly Member for Upper Niumi, the death of Mr. Joof has left a vacuum in the APRC. "He is a young ambitious man who had the interest of both Upper Nuimi and APRC at heart. So his death is a big loss for us. Mr. Joof has been a long time friend. He has served as a youth mobiliser during and after the transition," he said.

The Chief of Upper Niumi, Queen Jammeh described the late councillor as a hard working and devoted Muslim whose love for his country was evident. "He would be forever remembered."

Many people commended the late councillor for being a moral booster of youths. The remains of Joof, who was elected into office during the 2002 councillorship elections, were interred on Tobaski Day at Mademba Kunda.

-0-

 After A Gambian Succumbs To Aids

Sudan To Check AU Soldiers

 The Government of Sudan is insisting to check African Union peacekeepers against Hiv/Aids after two AU officers from Malawi and The Gambia reportedly succumbed to the disease in September 2005.

At the time of the incident, it was reported that the two died after they were flown from Darfur to Khartoum for treatment. The AU confirmed the death of the two officers following complications arising from Hiv/Aids infection. The AU regretted the deaths but referred to them as statistically insignificant.

This development has compelled the Sudanese Ministry of Health to ask AU contingent officers to produce Hiv/Aids free certificate before they are allowed entrance into the country. This, according to reports coupled with the financial dearth AU is facing, has delayed the airlifting of many peacekeepers including Gambians.

The Governor of North Darfur State, Mohamed Osman Kibir, has revealed that his government will carry out fresh tests on AU troops in his state. According to Sudan Tribune, Kibir pointed out in a press statement that following AIDS-related deaths among AU troops, citizens in the area had become worried. He said Sudanese doctors would carry out the tests because previous tests had proven not to be as accurate as required.

When a contingent of 150 Rwandan troops arrived in Darfur in August 2005, Tayeb Mustafa of the ruling National Congress party attacked the government for allowing them to come in without health certificates.

The Sudanese media has also joined the fray calling for tougher action after local women reportedly moved in and out of tents housing the AU observers and troops in El-Fasher, the capital of North Darfur state.

-0-

"Stop Illegal Land Deals"

 By Alieu Darboe

 The Chief of Kombo Central, Alhagie Dembo Santang Bojang has warned residents to desist from illegal land deals, which according to him, are creating havoc between plot owners and the government.

Chief Bojang who used the Tobaski platform to convey his message to residents of his district said, the warning is meant to end illegal land deals in the area. "Land sellers should be extra careful as most of the land are set aside as government reserve. Buyers are also duty bound to investigate properly before they buy any land," he said, adding that most land deal cases end up in bitter confrontation between the government and buyers. "I am not saying that you should not sell your plots, but before selling it, enquire the state of that particular land first," he said.

Chief Bojang wondered why people are still adamant to carry out illegal land deals after they had received earlier warnings. "My office will never compromise those found wanting on illegal sale of land in my district," he warned.

Commenting on the last year's mass demolition of compounds by the government in Brikama, Chief Bojang said the incident was rather unfortunate. "But it could have been avoided if people enquire properly because the area is a government reserve. Very important structures have been destroyed in the area but if buyers were told the truth, they would not have spent their money in vain."

The Chief's statement would not go without being challenged by residents of Brikama. They accused him and Commissioner Abdou Badjie for being the principal architects of the demolition exercises, which rendered thousands of people homeless.

However, both men have denied any wrongdoing, describing the allegations as "unfounded and baseless."

-0-

WAIFEM Ready For Action

 By Lamin Njie

 The director general of the West African Institute For Financial and Economic Management (WAIFEM), Dr. Chris O. Itsede has said that his institution is now ready for action.

According to him, they will organise programmes that would strengthen the competences for ensuring transparency, accountability and probity in the management of public resources. Addressing WAIFEM/IMF regional course on balance of payment statistics at Paradise Suites Hotel, Dr. Itsede said capacity for public debt (external and domestic) management remains weak in all the member countries even though the Capacity Building Project phase one has registered some gains in specific competences in external debt management. "In order to maximize the gains from recent debt cancellations for some of our countries, there is need to put greater emphasis on such areas," he said.

Dr. Itsede said the demands on financial sector management in the sub-region have been made more complex by the increasing globalisation of the financial system. "WAIFEM will craft capacity building interventions which will seek to promote ownership of national/regional macro economic policies."

"Further more, critical capacity building gaps in the areas of management of the regional integration process such as the intervention codes and standards on macro economic statistics compilation and dissemination, monetary and fiscal policy management, will be addressed with the design of specific interventions," he revealed.

Dr. Itsede said the course is aimed at upgrading the participants' knowledge and skills for the compilation and analytical presentation of balance of payments statistics.

The governor of the Central Bank, Famara Jatta said the course is particularly an opportunity coming against the backdrop of the ongoing efforts to upgrade the country's statistical base to international standards.

About 31 participants from The Gambia, Ghana, Sierra Leone and Nigeria are taking part in the course, which ends on January 27th.

-0-

New Library For Kerr Serign

 A new library has been recently opened in Kerr Serign village. This came after the inauguration of "Marlin" Nursery School in the area last October.

Equipped with over three thousand novels, a children's section, and a serious reference department this welcome facility, costing just D20 for life membership, is now staffed and ready to do service.

The man behind it all is Ian Cox, a Yorkshire man who, with his wife, Lyn, works tirelessly in the UK to raise funds to maintain the high standard of education and service that is becoming the "Marlin" reputation.

Mr. Cox, who is known locally as "Mr. Charity by choice, not by force" has created a Nursery Centre and Library for the people of Kerr Serrign, which compares favourably with any other such facilities in the country.

He was assisted in this project by Mr. Stephen West, the writer known as "Harmattan" who makes regular humorous contributions to Gambian Newspapers. "This is a true charity," Harmattan said. "There are no ten-percenters, no fancy cars or plush offices. The only salaries and allowances that are paid here are to the Gambian staff of the establishment."

Mr. West said the lending library and homework club opens from Monday to Saturday between 2pm and 7pm.

"Anyone is welcome to join," he said.

The Marlin Library also has an adult section with a selection of books by classical and contemporary authors representing crime, romance, war, science, fiction, and humour, and a children's section. The reference department includes a full set of Encyclopaedia Britannica, Atlases and other books of knowledge and information.

-0-

 Department of State for Health and Social Welfare

PRESS RELEASE

 It has been brought to the attention of the Office of the Secretary of State for Health and Social Welfare, that instances of professional misconduct often occur at some of our service delivery points.

While stiff corrective measures are internally being applied, the Department hereby extends its sincere apology to all those who have been affected, either as individuals or as families.

From now onwards, the General Public is urged to formally register any reasonable complaint, that falls short of professional ethics and standard codes of practice, to the Office of the Director of Health Services, the Chief Nursing Officer or the Principal Public Health Officer.

The cooperation and support of the general public is solicited.

-0-

Editorial: What Is Holding NADD?

If the media reports are anything to go by, it is apparent that the opposition alliance that is bent on unseating President Yahya Jammeh in October 2006 polls, is already at the centre of leadership crisis.

This is contrary to what the members of the National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD) have been telling Gambians.

Over the months, NADD, which has people with different political ideologies and concepts, assured Gambians that they are poised to defend their interest to choose a candidate to what they called "flush out" the APRC regime from power.

But it seems they are deviating from what they have been campaigning or else they would have not rave or rant about who leads the coalition. Their failure to unanimously choose a leader tells Gambians that NADD Executives hide something under their sleeves.

The most disturbing thing is that they remained tight-lipped, thus allowing floodgates of rumours to fill the air. And as the saying goes: "rumour is a great traveller." If the membership of NADD refuses to clear the air, they cannot stop people from making their own news, whether right or wrong. Time has definitely come for NADD Executives to throw away their personal interests and choose a leader in a transparent and democratic manner.

NADD leadership should learn lesson from emerging democratic nations where congress of political parties are transparent and democratic. In such a process, whoever emerges a leader surely deserves public support. The process is such that nobody has the guts to corrupt the selection of a party's candidate.

If NADD is seen as a government in the waiting or British people call it a shadow government, its leadership should demonstrate the highest sense of political maturity. What is crystally clear is that it would be difficult to choose a leader in a situation where every Tom, Dick and Harry is interested in living in a glasshouse. They should not at all bend the constitution to give leeway to anybody to head NADD, which would not be in tandem with their ideals of no corruption or abuse of office. How can the electorate believe in a party that corrupts its constitution before it comes to power?

Yes, most people believe that there is nothing stable in politics. But for us to attain mature politics, we need to sanitise our political system properly.

This editorial is expressing the views and aspirations of Gambians who have been desperately waiting to hear the name of their flag bearer. But now that NADD Executives set aside a date when the candidate's name will be known to the public, it is our fervent hope that nothing would distract the event because even at the time of piercing this editorial, opposition were still carrying out endless consultations or meetings. The world is watching you, so do the right thing before it is too late.

-0-

 Regional Integration: Education System in ECOWAS

 Cont'd from our last issue)

Countries belonging to various sub-regional and regional groupings despite their differences share similarities in their education systems.

All AU, ECOW AS, SADCC and COMESA member countries are signatories to the EFA and MDG. This means that as continent's or regional integration bodies' achievements and failures to meet set targets would be rather more significant when measured at the regional than country specific levels.

Education, especially in Africa, in order to reaffirm commitments made in Jomtien (1990) and Dakar (2000) as well as within majority of their constitutions that education is a fundamental human right and enabling factor that will enable people and communities to: contribute in the decision making process; exercise their basic rights and express their voices and equally develop basic skill for better employment or livelihood opportunities.

In pursuit of the spirit of realising both the MDG and the EFA goals, respective countries must be committed to working in various kinds of collaborations and arrangements. This could be achieved through strengthened partnership and the willingness to create a new space for genuine cooperation and continuous dialogue between countries.

If regional integration is to be achieved and economic integration realised, regional integration should be able to prepare a regional workforce capable of positively and constructively contributing towards both national and regional economic development. Economic development is but one aspect of the returns to education. But given the socio- economic and cultural context of African countries in addition to potential areas of conflicts, violence and social injustice affecting communities in many member countries of regional communities, education could in one way or the other ensure a focus on values and social development.

Education, even though declared free and compulsory in many African countries, continues to constitute more than half of households' expenditures. Households and parents bear more than half the cost of schooling of their children despite the poverty status in the region, hence denying them room to manoeuvre and take care of other basic needs such as health care. Even though considered a top priority by both individual countries and regional bodies, it is frustrating to note that shares of national budgets allocated to education over the last decade are not only below the set targets but have kept on declining over the same period.

The latest EFA global assessment has shown a bleak picture that very few African countries are on target to achieving the EFA and meeting the MDGs. It is also likely that if the current rate of enrolment continues over the coming years, approximately 30% of African school going age children might miss on education. Besides, studies and projection on the HIV/AIDS pandemic show that Africa would loose 10% of its teaching force whilst more than 20% of students would be HIV orphans.

Education is considered as one of the direct factors of production leading to wealth accumulation and creation. Various studies have revealed that social returns of education are quite significant in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) especially at the primary level. These rates of social returns are both globally and economically significant. Thus investing in education especially at the regional level within an integrated approach, where economies of scale benefits should be enjoyed, would lead to tremendous successes and achievements.

The end of the twentieth century has witnessed a heightening of attention to education development in Africa as shown by commitments expressed by African leaders in such contexts as:

-The OAU Decade for Education in Africa

-The Decade for Literacy and Adult Education in Africa

-The Durban MINEDAF VII Ministerial Statement of Commitments

-The World Declaration on Higher Education for the Twenty-first Century

-The Jomtien EFA process

Conscious and aware of the need to reach a common consensus on the need for education at all levels, signatory countries are set to expand this noble initiatives through the realization of the MDGs. ECOWAS would need to consider leading the process through a Consultative Forum on Education that will serve as a follow up and implementation mechanism. More importantly, it will aim at constructing a comprehensive and holistic picture of the integrated education systems. This will enable countries to measure progress made towards their own objectives and the problems encountered on the road to attaining these goals, in order to identify innovative strategies to overcome obstacles and redirect national plans of action.

Through this mechanism ECOW AS must rethink the existing education systems and strategies and monitor their future action closely with regard to such key issues as finding cost effective alternatives to traditional formal education and integrating formal and non- formal education for lifelong learning.

To accomplish the goals of these aims member countries must identify their specific and respective needs and devise appropriate strategies. The task of assessing country and regional needs is not a new undertaking neither a new venture. The establishments of the Decade for Education in West Africa (DEWA) as well as the establishment of the African Virtual University (AVU) are some of the most visible examples of this education regional thinking. As a key component of the NEPAD initiative, African countries have acknowledged the importance of meeting regional needs through the allocation of high- demand enrolment funding to projects that respond to unique regional economic development opportunities.

To address the need for an integrated, collaborative education system, an integrated education policy would need to be developed with an integrated education resource planning through synchronization of the existing policies and statutory authorities prevailing in member countries. This integrated education policy should clearly designate and differentiate the types of educational programs offered and resources available. Besides the policy would establish the criteria and process by which members authorize the creation and distribution of educational resources in response to demonstrated need.

To that end, a road map of educational resources should be developed and implemented. This road map should rely on member countries and regional-based needs assessments.

Human capital is a key component of any economic reform especially in Africa, and its further development is essential to enhance the region's competitiveness and integration around the globe. In order to develop and enhance its human resources base ECOWAS needs to address the following priorities:

-Member countries need to develop mechanisms and measures that will enable them improve the efficiency and quality of education offered in their educational institutions. This include aligning and harmonizing the knowledge and skill outputs of their educational systems taking into consideration the changing and evolving needs of the global economy. Member countries, therefore should consider redefining their educational institutions' learning objectives as well as how education can be better organized to ensure the development of a sustainable capacity to compete in a changing and evolving global economy.

.Vocational and technical training must receive considerable attention and be included as priorities in the policies. The focus shall be on reformulating training from an information-based training model, to one that is demand-driven, competency-based and which will provide trainees with the required skills, to increase workers' productivity, technological adaptation and innovation leading to greater and optimal employment opportunities.

.Productivity considered low both at the macro and micro levels in ECOW AS shall be boosted through an integrated education system. Productivity could only be improved through progress in scientific knowledge and technology, i.e. through enhanced levels of research and development (R&D). The R&D infrastructure in the ECOW AS is still very weak or non-existing, whilst current modest efforts are fragmented. This is due to the absence of an institutionalized framework that links research and academic institutions with the production base, in addition to the negligible qualitative and quantitative levels ofpublic and private investment in R&D.

.The low participation and contribution of women in all spheres of public life limits the economy's potential to employ its human talent effectively, and ultimately holds back its growth potential. Attaining equality, and allowing women to become more productive members of society, is therefore not only an issue of justice for women -although a principal cause on its own -but also an important factor in achieving sustainable development. It is only through an education devoid of gender disparity that the integration of women in society would be achieved and the ECOW AS a spirations for greater prosperity and effective integration would be realized.

.There is an acute need to expand the capacity for knowledge acquisition through investment in IT infrastructure via concerted efforts to foster research and technology development within the ECOW AS community.

In order to effectively address improvements of the lives of ordinary people in Africa, the strategies must be centered on people and the human resources basis. The emphasis would be on how and to what degree it improves the lives of the ordinary citizenry of ECOW AS.

It has always been echoed that any meaningful progress and investment should be based on education. Without investing more in its people, ECOW AS will not be able to sustain potential economic growth as a regional bloc, and reduce poverty in member states. There is a global call for greater commitment and action to improve the educational levels and standards in ECOW AS -especially in terms of primary school enrollments and gender equity at primary and secondary levels. Indeed there is need to strengthen education at all levels and not only primary education alone. This very m uch includes higher/Tertiary and Vocational/Technical education, since ECOW AS countries are bereft of a sustainable, strong knowledge sector of its own and is virtually dependent on external assistance and support. We also need to stress the importance of linking education and training programs more closely to the national development needs of each country as well as to local economic conditions and labor market needs.

The main challenges lie with realizing the opportunities of regional dynamism. There would seem to be great potential for ECO W AS countries to promote regional interaction and markets -as important in themselves as well as in helping the bloc better integrate into the global economy. Consolidation at the regional level would enable ECOW AS to benefit from economies of scale, both on the supply side in exporting to external markets as well as on the demand side in importing products. Building regional and continental infrastructure networks (especially through education) in transport and telecommunications would help promote efficiency and regional integration. There is also scope for A frican 9 overnments to pool resources in developing and strengthening regional institutions that would promote greater flows of trade and investment.

Hajj and the Legacy of a Great Woman

by Ahmed B. Saidybah

Cont'd from last edition

In his well-know book on Hajj, Dr. Ali Shariati attempts to provide a glimpse. Once she was enslaved only to be given away by her master. She became a victim and stranger who was exiled by her family with her child on her arms.

She hardly ever had a dignified identity. Had she not been the mother of Ismail, nobody would have given her any recognition and worth. There, in that barren place, her identity did not matter any further. Yet, she reposed her complete trust in her true Lord and was determined to pursue whatever she could in the way of God.

Now one should ask who should be considered the foremost founder of Mecca city. Is there any other civilization, or even a city of this stature, that has been brought about by such primary contribution and sacrifice of a woman? How ironical, unfortunate, insulting and utterly unacceptable that the city that came into existence through the sacrifice and struggle of a lone woman now does not allow a woman to drive a car by herself, nor does it allow her to travel to hajj by herself, even though the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) himself had the vision that she would someday travel alone to perform hajj. (Musnad of Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Vol. 4, #19397, 19400; Also Sahih al-Bukhari: Vol. 4, #793)

It is so unfortunate that so little about her is talked about even on such pertinent occasions of which she is an integral part. I don't recall myself listening to any Khutbah that highlighted her faith, sacrifice, and contribution that were second to none. Yes, second to none. Indeed, I have read Sahih al-Bukhari before too, until the work of a Muslim intellectual of our time, whose mind is keen about women's contribution in the heritage of tawheed, drew my attention to this. What men and women can learn from a woman, whose service and contribution enabled the Hills of Safaa and Marwah to the status of "among the Signs of God," which must be visited, and whose quest for saving the object of her love must be re-enacted?

From far away as the pilgrims perform this re-enactment, we also want to be like Ismail and have a share of this noble woman's affection. But there is a greater symbolic implication! This community of believers follow the way of Prophet Muhammad, a way that primarily was designed by Ibrahim and family. The role that was played primarily by the family of Ibrahim was broadly assumed by the Prophet Muhammad. But this has gone beyond just his family but the entire community of believers. This community (Ummah) is created for mankind! (Quran 3:110)

As it was true then, it is also true now; the humanity is in pursuit of doom and destruction. Should we not, think of the humanity as Ismail destined for death, to save love, affection, and restless passion of Mother Hajar is needed again and again? Did not the Prophet Muhammad carry on that mission of mercy and affection, and thus he was the Rahmatullil Alamin (mercy for the universe), according to the Quran? Did not his loyal companions fulfil the same mission? Then, does not this community (Ummah) need to be conscious of the trust God has given to them, for which the community will be accountable? What could be a better occasion for us to remind ourselves of that trust and invite ourselves to reflect on this and respond accordingly?

In conclusion, what is there, then, to celebrate? "Our Lord! Grant us what you did promise to us through your Prophets, and save us from shame on the Day of Judgment, for you never break your promise." And their Lord has accepted their prayers and answered them thus: "Never will I suffer to lose the work of any of you, be he male or female. You are members one of another; those who have left their homes, or been driven out there from, or suffered harm in My Cause, or fought or been slain; Verily, I will blot out from them their iniquities, and admit them into gardens with rivers flowing beneath; A reward from the Presence of God, and from His Presence is the best of rewards." (Quran 3: 94-95)

For all the toil and struggle, the hardship and sacrifice, the efforts and pursuits, is it not truly deserving of celebration that our works will not be in vain, will not suffer any loss? This is a guarantee from none other than God. With all the worldly promises, guarantees, and warranties that give us a sense of security, one tends to forget that there is also a vast world of deceptions. If we cannot have peace of mind with the promise from God, we have nowhere to turn to. Thus, what could be more worthy of our celebration than the invitation of God to an eternal life of peace, happiness, and prosperity, an invitation that comes with the unfailing promise of God. This, of course, requires that we commit ourselves to the positive and constructive pursuit of bringing peace, happiness and prosperity to the humanity.

* I became enlightened about this particular aspect from an important work of Dr. Kaukab Siddique*

-0-

 Personality Development Of The Child

by David Thoronka

 It is widely believed that a healthy man makes a healthy family. It is equally believed that a healthy family forms a healthy society, which in turns makes a healthy nation.

Thus to achieve the result of the above, the national and human development origin of the chain must be tackled. Without this, humans cease to be humans.

A child begins his earthly ministry from the day he/she is born. Compared to primates, man has unique attributes. Unlike primates, man has been blessed with the ability to think and rationalize things, which eventually prepares him overcome circumstances - positive or negative.

The origin responsible for this exclusive characteristic is the brain. And according to reports, babies are born with 100 billion brain cells that have no yet made contentious to the brain network attributing to learning.

The growth of brain is very important to the development of a child. It is the center of all intellectual activities thinking - memorization, etc. Thus, the failure of the brain to grow properly has a negative impact on the child. The society is also affected by his output. It is believed that children between the ages of 0-3 years made 1, 000 trillion brain connections. However, at 11 the brain begins to get rid of extra connections that are not used. If children are rarely communicated, they tend to lose their brain cells and mastering language skills.

Additionally if children are rarely played with, their social adjustment may be changed. Exposure to severe stress during the toddler and preschool years may change brain development and make it more difficult for children to control their emotions. Good and bad experiences can affect children for the rest of their lives. Stressful situations can destroy brain cells by reducing the number of connection in certain parts of the brain. These are some factors that can destroy brain cells. Drugs, alcohol child abuse, lack of love and care caffeine and over crowding, extremely hinge ratios in classroom settings.

Brain growth and development is just one aspect of personality development. There are other aspects of the latter concept such as gender physical, blissful and intellectual development.

These five dimensions involved in personality development are very essential. This is because they are responsibility for the way and manner in which a child behaves in society, which will ultimately determine the attitude of the child in life and the society in which he lives.

Personality development is a concept, which refers to the profile of developing beliefs, mood and behavior that differentiate among children and adults who live in a particular society.

The physical dimension relates to our senses. Proper growth of physical faculties is essential by way of diet recreation, music and care, etc.

The intellectual dimension is concerned with discriminative power and knowledge. In addition to sincere and formal studies, reading and invigorating literature help us to develop this faculty. Mental self is related to stress and psychology, selflessness control concentration and calmness of mind plays essential role.

The blissful self is the functioning of the state of being. It calls for remaining clam and unaffected in favorites for the world.

In the development of the personality, self could result in self-controls self-reliauce, self-sacrifice, self-effort and self-knowledge.

The other important derivatives or processes of personality development are gender development. Gender is a social construction rather than a biological given. It is a social and institutional practice of the individual. It is the development product of a broad network in a variety of social subsystems. People contribute to gender development and bring about social changes that define the structure of gender relations through their actions within the interrelated systems of inheritance. Parents do not suspend influencing gender orientation among children until they identify themselves as girls and boys.

Parents play active role during early phase of gender development with further development.

Family management practices change in form after children adopt personal standards, which means parents have a big impact on their children's gender development.

Even before children can label themselves and others by gender which does not occur until after the second year of life they can differentiate the sexes and act in ways consistent with traditional gender link practices.

Moreover as children begin to understand things, their knowledge of gender extends beyond non-verbal categorization of people and object, to explicit labeling of people, objects and styles of behavior according to gender.

In conclusion, a child's personality could not be completed without acknowledging the impact of the role play. In other to effectively defend and promote the role play, it is imperative for us to fully understand the impact of it on our children.

It is important as educators/facilitators to understand that it is through play that children learn about the world around them, what they can do and what they like to do. It helps them to discover what they are good at and how things work and where they fit into the total scheme of things.

Play is a natural way of life for children throughout the world. It is universal and knows no national or cultural boundaries, though economic conditions may determine the amount and kind of play in which children engage on. The more we understand the essence of plays on children's creativity, the better.

-0-

 Letter From London

 By Olufemi Jr. (Chelsea)

 I hold my hands up. I just did. I promise via these pages that I will keep in touch. I pride myself in being a Peters and that I deliver my promises.

I couldn't believe I wrote just two letters the whole of last year - one in January regarding Deyda's murder and another after the London bombings.

I'm not even going to put up a defence that I was tied up. Who the hell isn't? All this paper's foreign based columnists are as tied up as the Gordian Cord but they still wing in their pieces via electronic mail. When I was with the paper, Gallandou Goree Ndiaye was the most consistent overseas columnist. Every Saturday, come what may, his biblical piece would land in the inbox, waiting to be taken out and pasted on the pages ready for Mondays' edition. He did this while helping rebuild Kosovo. I don't help rebuild London so I hang my head in shame for promising and stalling. Thus, I'm not keeping any more promises but I'm thinking of swinging in a letter every two months. That's not a promise, just a thought.

As I type this on a cold Friday morning in college during my break on January the 6th, I'm already home with the stone cold fact that Deyda's murderers would never face justice. I said this exactly a year ago in my January 2005 letter. The events surrounding his first anniversary, including a slapdash, lower-than-a-snake's-belly editorial from the Daily Observer, are as reassuring as peace in the Middle East. You may be surprised to know that the Daily Observer used to be my favourite read even when I was with this paper. I think it has to do with the fact that it was the first paper that carried my by-line in Young Observer column in 1995, in the September 22nd issue to be exact. A lot of water has gushed on and my ratings of it has nose dived. That editorial reeks from the first word to the last and whoever penned it has bastardized Gambian journalism. It has placed the GPU high and dry and make the body look very, well, oafish. The last thing we need is a paper and the GPU staging a cold war and, sadly, that editorial had triggered that. I won't say more on the issue but I hope Deyda's shooters are able to sleep well not to talk of living with themselves. Like our elders would say, why take a life when you can't give one? Rest in peace, Deyda. Your memory dwells among us.

Right, let's move on. A lot of things have happened over the past year over there but I'm only going to comment on one thing: football.

No, I'm not going to natter about Chelsea crushing teams and closing in on back to back titles. No, it is about our finest football hour and half.

As readers would agree, I've written extensively on Gambian football so I demand an award. Only joking, readers. If one were to be given to me, those who set the pace before me in all media outlets, from Peter Gomez to God knows who should be garlanded with a life time achievement award.

Anyway, as I was saying before I gormlessly drifted off, I was elated the U-17 won the CAF tourney on home soil. The only pang was I wasn't around. Hell, those I called during the tournament waxed lyrical on the boys and I was over here, gnawing my nails as I followed their progress online. I'm not too sure but I think I must have punched the air when I read of the victory over Ghana. It may have been a bit shady but who cares? We've been a football nation for over fifty years and have nothing to show for it till now. I could just picture the wild scenes that memorable day. God knows I'm for the upliftment of our football and a major trophy in our cabinet, even if it is the only one, after all these years, is a gigantic plus. Come to think of it, our target was the Zone two and we landed the bigger prize. The words patience comes to those who wait springs to mind and, man, haven't we been patiently waiting?

Okay now dear readers, now for some donation. Let me take it from the base. The majority can't be wrong, we are told. 'Okay, if almost everybody, save those closest to me believe I'm a Nigerian because of my name, isn't it time to stop and listen?

The other day, my lecturer was telling me about a particular governor in Nigeria who was indemnified or something like that from corruption. I'm a good listener but as he droned on and on, I realized he was keeping me abreast with events from, as far as he was concerned, back home.

Akin, a British national of Nigerian origin goes to the same gym as me. During the summer, he was going to Lagos for the holidays and I wished him all the best, told him to be careful in Lagos blah blah blah.

'So when was the last time you went back?' he asked and you should have seen his face when I told him I'm Gambian.

So, with all and sundry 'Nigerianizing' me I have decided to do the unthinkable. I've blocked out my childhood memories of roaming the back street of Banjul, of terrorising cats, of being a pain in the rear at school, of sipping my granny's Mrs. Blain white wine and diluting it with water, of being an altar boy before my tenth birthday, of everything basically. I want to go to Yorubaland and search for my roots. I've been told the answers I need are all there, waiting to be found. There is a bit of a snag though. I'm a student and you know the word closely related to students: poverty stricken. Thus, I need funds to fly to Lagos and do my research. Give every butut you wish to donate to my dad and I will let you know whether I need to return my Gambian passport and whether I need to ditch Wollof and learn Yoruba.

Before you turn all gullible on me, I'm as Gambian as the stone circles! The immigration officer who is prepared to heckle me when I come home over my un-Gambian name on a Gambian passport would need a new set of teeth. That's a promise, not a threat.

Did I tell you of the story of how I became the unofficial ambassador for the promotion of Asian food?

I work with this Asian guy from Pakistan and, being me, I told him I would rather starve than eat Asian food. 'It is too bloody spicy,' I argued.

He promised to take me out and prove I am wrong. I was up for it. As long as he was paying, I don't mind being a food sampler.

So, we found time one Sunday afternoon and he took me to a Pakistani eating outlet in Tooting, south London. I was well prepared. If I'm off to an occasion that serves food, I eat nothing at all so as to be able to, you know, deliver. So, all I ate was fruit and drank fruit juice to widen my insides, I believe.

He ordered lamb curry and rice and boy, I took care of every grain, every piece of meat. Then I washed it all down with lassi, a local Pakistani drink made of milk and yogurt. I was in ecstasy and told the waitress I'm looking for an Indian wife, forgetting she was Pakistani. The look and curt reply she threw at me told me I was lucky not to get slapped. Imagine telling a Gambian chepeh you want to marry a Senegalese gekh. It would rub her up the wrong way.

At the end of the day, I made room for Asian food and my pal, who is back home on holidays, would be coming to my place and I would cook him benechin. Don't guffaw as I'm serious, I now know how to cook. An old flame, a Fula girl who is over here, taught me. You know the Fula women are known for four things: they marry early, have long hair, can cook and, yes, they are stunning. The men, if you must know, own a radio, support France and have a fair knowledge of football.

I've got three recipes for benechin, stew and domoda. So far, I've cooked the first two and it wasn't bad. Okay, the benecbin was less red because of less tomatoe paste but I corrected that the second time around. The chicken stew was good and reminds me of the rago sauce sold at the restaurant I gleaned off growing up: Noflie Restaurant.

So, if you come to London, check me out and, like the old Aku women would say 'taste me aand'!

I bet you lot don't think I'm homesick, huh? I used to be but I've dealt with it well. The first months were tough and I called home every weekend. Now, im okay and get on with in a strange, funny way. Let me explain.

I live in east London and there is a particular roundabout I likened to Westfield and a particular market I likened to Serekunda Market. I go pass the roundabout on my way home from college and it makes me feel good. You should see this Market I'm talking about. It heaves with people and the stalls nearly resemble those back home. I bought some pots there but the bottle neck is everything is fixed. There is no haggling.

-0-

FIFA Pledges Assistance to GFA

by Namory Trawally

 The World Football governing body-FIFA have pledged assistance to the newly elected executive committee of The Gambia Football Association (GFA).

A letter from FIFA president Joseph Sepp Blatter, addressed to GFA president Seedy M.B Kinteh, assured the football governing body's support and assistance for the future development of football in The Gambia. Mr. Blatter took the opportunity in the letter to congratulate Seedy M.B Kinteh for his election at the helm of Gambian Football for the next four years.

FIFA's message is hereunder reproduced:

On the occasion of your election to the presidency of The Gambia Football Association during its congress held at the Independence stadium on 31st December 2005, I would like to extend to you my deepest congratulations as well as my wishes of success at the helm of The Gambia Football for the next four years.

Gambian Football has clearly made amazing progress in the past years in particular at youth level with the first ever participation of Gambian National team to a FIFA competition at World level, in Peru in 2005 for the U-17 team.

You now have in front of you the complex but exciting task to help the football of your country to reach new heights and to gain the international recognition it deserves.

In this task, you can rely on my support and on FIFA assistance, and I would be interested in receiving your 11- point development plan for the future of our sport I Gambia.

Looking forward to meeting with you soon in Cairo during the CAF General Assembly, I remain

Meanwhile in another development, the president of the Confederation Africaine de Football (CAF), Issa Hayatou also sent a congratulation message to GFA president Seedy MB Kinteh.

Issa Hayatou's message is hereunder reproduce:

"It was with great interest and pleasure I followed the results of your General Assembly, held on the 31st December last, which brought you to the head of The Gambia Football Association for the next four years.

I take this occasion to wish you and your team success in assuring the development of Gambia Football on all levels.

I also take this opportunity to assure you that CAF will work by your side to ensure the progression of Football in your country. In anticipation of meeting you in the near future, please accept, Dear Mr. president, my best wishes for the New year and my congratulations on your victory"

Your sincerely

Issa Hayatou.

Cycling National Championship On Saturday

As part of the preparations for the forthcoming Commonwealth Games to be held in Melbourne, Australia in March 2006, The Gambia Cycling Association (G.C.A) will hold its first National Championship on Saturday 21st January 2006.

15 senior cyclists on a distance of 150kms non-stop will complete the championship, which is sponsored by Gamstar Insurance Company.

In an interview with Independent sports, the secretary General of G.C.A, Momodou Demba said cycling is not very familiar in The Gambian but the country has been participating in international competition like Tour de Senegal, de France as well as the Commonwealth Games.

Mr. Demba added that cyclists from all over the country will complete tomorrow's championship. "We will use the championships to prepare for the Commonwealth Games in which two cyclists will represent The Gambia." He revealed that the race will start at the Gamstar House in Banjul through Westfield, Tabokoto, Lamin, Brikama, Siffoe, Gunjur, Tanji, Senegambia area, Traffic Light, Sting Corner and ends at the Gamstar House in Banjul.

In the future plan for cycling in The Gambia, Mr. Demba pointed out that his association is planning a school championship to groom young people for the development of the sport at the grass roots. "A female championship is also in the pipeline for 10 kms from Brikama to Banjul," he said.

Ebo Town-Jeshwang Tourney Underway

The annual football tournament organised in EboTown and New Jeshwang is currently underway at the Park Jola Football field in EboTown.

16 teams complete the tournament, which is organised by Zone King, a former National team player. They were divided into four groups of four teams. The group A comprise of Fire Stones, Baghdad, De Boyz and Kasiya. Group B is made o Jeshwang United, Jallow Macina, Faling Kuta, and Old Hands. Group C teams are Peace Telecenter, West Side, Zion and Late Sankung Sillah, while group D comprises of Toach Bi, Leone Stars, Roots and West Land.

ABC Nursery School in Ebo Town sponsors the tournament.

Results so Far

- Faling Kuto 0 Jallow Macina 0

-Fire Stone 1 Baghdad 0

-Jeshwang United 5 Olds Hands 1

-Toach Bi 2 Leone stars 1

-Zion 1 Peace Telecenter 0

-De Boyz 0 Kasiya 0

West side 2 Late Sankung Sillah 0

Roots 2 West land 1

Kasiya 1 Fire stone 0

Jallow Macina 1 Jeshwang United 1

De Boyz 2 Baghdad 1

Faling kuta 1 Old Hands 0

Peace Telecenter 2 Sankung Sillah 0

Roots 2 Leone Stars 1

WEEKEND FIXTURES

Friday 20/1/06

Kasiya Vs Baghdad

Saturday 21/1/06

West Side Vs Zion

Sunday 22/1/06

Fire Stone Vs De Boyz

-0-

Holiday Bug Kills Tourist

 A holidaymaker from Sheffield, 'UK has died from malaria after returning from a winter sunshine break in The Gambia.

According to Bernsley Today, Medics said Ian Crocker, 47, had not taken any medication recommended to travellers visiting The Gambia - which harbours the most deadly form of the disease. After falling ill back home in Sheffield, Mr. Crocker went to the Northern General Hospital. "But it was too late for doctors to save the welder, of Siddall Street, Netherthorpe, from the disease, which is spread by infected mosquito bites and attacks the blood and causes organ failure," Medics said.

His death has prompted health chiefs to issue an urgent warning to South Yorkshire holidaymakers travelling to The Gambia and other exotic parts of the world where malaria is commonplace.

Travellers are being advised to check what medication they need and to follow the instructions.

Dr. Rosie McNaught, consultant in Communicable Disease Control at the Health Protection Agency in South Yorkshire said, "To die as a result of going on holiday is tragic. If you are going on holiday you need to check if the area is malarial."

"As more people book cheap last minute holidays using the Internet, many are failing to take the necessary precautions to protect their health."

Around 20 people in the UK die from malaria each year. One study reveals as many as a third of travellers do not bother to get medication or inoculations considered vital. And some people who have splashed out on a break are reluctant to spend a few more Pounds on getting a prescription for medication, which could save their lives.

According to her, it is essential for travellers to take the right type of anti-malaria tablets, as the infection varies from region to region. "Falciparium malaria is the most dangerous form of the disease, because it can rapidly progress from infection to death, and it is rife in The Gambia. Most of those who fall ill haven't taken medication, or they've taken the wrong stuff," she added. "One have to be careful and, as there is resistance to some chemicals in some tablets in some parts of the world, people have to check whether they have the right medication." She also stressed that instructions for anti-malarial medication need to be followed very closely, as some medicines need to be taken a week before the holiday and for a month afterward to avoid problems.

-0-

AOHJ Elects New Executive

 By David Thoronka

 The Association Of Health Journalists (AOHJ), last week held its congress at Gambia Press Union Secretariat to elect a new executive into office.

The congress is the first in the history of the association since its formation on June 21, 2001. AOHJ should have held its congress in 2004 but due to some reasons, it was not possible.

The congress elected a reporter with The Point Newspaper, Pa Modou Faal as President. A veteran broadcaster of GRTS-Radio, Alhagie Serign Faye and Fatou Touray of Gambia Daily were elected as 1st and 2nd Vice Presidents respectively. The congress elected Amadou Bah of GRTS-Radio as the Secretary General but maintained her colleague broadcaster, Ida Jobe as Treasurer. Sarjo Camara of Foroyaa occupied the post of Assistant Secretary General.

After a bitter contest, Alieu Badara Ceesay of Daily Observer was elected as the Public Relations Officer. The congress also elected Francis Mendy and Edna Musu Jassey of GRTS-TV as executive members without portfolios.

The new President, who spoke to our reporter, commended the outgoing executive for their undivided commitment and sacrifice to the AOHJ ideals. He said his immediate priority is to build the capacity of AOHJ members. "But in so doing, one needs collaboration and support from the members of the association and partners such as DOSH, UNICEF, NaNA, WHO, GAMCOTRAP, CRS and Action Aid," he said. "Besides, we will embark on establishing a fully operational secretariat. We are being housed by Gambia Press Union but we want to have our own secretariat," he said, adding that the new executive will also try to revitalise the Health and Nutrition Magazine.

Faal however appealed to members of the association to attend monthly meetings. "The association needs to expand and the only way to do so is by gaining new members. We are practicing an open door policy, which welcomes health facilitators, journalists or aspiring journalists on board."

Among others, AOHJ aims to ensure that Gambian journalists become au fait with health reporting skills. It also promotes accurate and factual reporting of health issues on media.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい