GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:11:27 -0400
Buhary, you have raised very important issues of national importance and
in your Part 2, the Alternative is actively tackling nearly all the
apsects you've touched on.  With time, that importantant announcement will
be made.  They are working hard at forming a concensus.

As to the financing of the campaign, that responsibility should rightfully
fall on people like you an I.  It is the diasporans that should foot that
bill for the most part.  In the Jarra elections, the APRC spent at least
D3,000,000 compared to the Alternative that spent a little over $4,000
(approximately D120,000).  More than 3/4 of that was from donors like you
and I in the form of STGDP and other diaspora based orgs.  The bulk of
that money was spent on mass mobilization and transportation.  The
difference in that elections was approximately 1,000 votes, the same
amount of people that were transported from the urban areas to jarra to
legally vote.  There is a correlation to those two numbers folks.  That
momentum carried the day in Bakau too.  This is what our resources can do
for Gambia, folks, if we transcend form analysis to financial
contributions.  As I write, the STGDP owes the Alternative D40,000 that we
need to refund them for their expenditures, which they borrowed.
Currently, we have raised 80% of that amount.  However, this fight is not
the job of only 10 people but an entire nation.  So, are we ready to do
our part, financially, in this contract with Gambia, that is the question.
 The Alternative is doing their part, what are we doing to meet them half
way?  The STGDP strategists project that we would need to raise at the
very minimum $150,000.  This is where folks can help.  Please pledge to
this effort today and send in your contributions.  When Dr. Saine first
offered us this vehicle, there were skeptics abound, ranging from lack of
trust to the ineffectiveness of the method.  Well, that same method funded
the last two victories we all celebrated.  But remember, some folks some
where donated to the funding of that victory.  If you were one of those
individuals I say thank you for your contribution and hope you continue to
do so for the cause for 2006.  If you missed that opportunity, well you
still have another shot to stand up and be counted.  Please join the STGDP
to make history for the Gambia.  I shall address the fine points of your
part 1 in due course.  Very fine analysis indeed.

Chi jaama

Joe

--
Chi Jaama