GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:24:47 +0100
Mr Sillah,

Thanks for your comments. I never said that I agreed with all that Mugabe said or did. I opened my piece with: "I've always taken Mugabe's side on this issue...", meaning the land issue.

You wrote:

>...I agree that the whole issue is basically
> economic interest but we also have to admit that
> Mugabe had 20 good years to act on this land
> re-distribution issue and he didn't.

Are you sure? If my memory serves me right, The lancaster House Agreement contained clauses that made it impossible for Mugabe to make a move on the land issue for 20 years? So Mugabe made the move on the land issue exactly 20 years after that agreement (the expiry of the grace period) which was the agreement that led to Zimbawean independence. So how can you say that he is not really interested in the land issue?

Regards,

Kabir.