GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:08:08 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 021/2007, 21-22 February,  2007

Editorial
When Will the Hand of Mercy Be Laid on Them?
According to  Section 82 subsection (2) of the constitution, “There shall be
a Committee on  the exercise of the prerogative of mercy consisting of the
Attorney General and  three other persons appointed by the President subject to
confirmation by the  National Assembly.”
The role of the Committee is to advise the President on  who should be
granted amnesty. Hence subsection (1) of the same section states:  “The President
may, after consulting the Committee established by subsection (2)  –
(a)        grant to any person convicted  of any offence, a pardon either
free or subject to lawful  conditions;
(b)        grant to any person  a respite, either indefinite or for a
specified period, of the execution of any  punishment imposed on that person for any
offence;
(c)        substitute a less  severe form of punishment for any punishment
imposed on any person for any  offence;
(d)        remit the whole or any  part of any punishment imposed on any
person for such an offence or any penalty  otherwise due to the State on account
of any offence.”
When South Africa  emerged from the ruins of the Apartheid era, the Truth and
Reconciliation  Commission stepped in to ease the tension between the races.
Even in Rwanda, a  country torn apart by a bitter fratricidal war, the
President can afford to  grant amnesty to a large number of inmates a few days ago.
Why can’t convicts in  The Gambia be granted amnesty on occasions like
Independence day or Republican  day celebrations?
Why can’t detainee’s who are not yet charged not be  released from months or
years of detention?
An amnesty will augur well for  the spirit in which the speech for the
independence celebration was delivered;  when it was stated that   ….”we must avoid
conflict, discord and unite  by all means.”

AT THE COURT MARTIAL
“I INSISTED FOR AN  ATTORNEY”
Says Captain Mendy
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Continuing his  testimony at the court martial on the 15th February 2007.
Captain Pierre John  Mendy said that he protested to see an attorney before he
could write his  statement, but that never materialised.
According to Captain Mendy, on 19th  April, the panel came to Mile Two Prison
and he was paraded before them and  Lamin Cham read out the cautionary
statement to him. “He asked me, what is your  opinion and I told him I will reserve
my opinion until I see my attorney. But I  did not see my attorney and I was
not given any reason as to why,” he said.  Captain Mendy further said that
there were six to eight members who were present  as a panel; that among them he
knew Lamin Cham, Boto Keita, Nfally Jabang, ASP  Ceesay and Sowe. When asked
whether he knew Babou Loum, he said that he was  seeing him for the first time
when he was in the witness box. Captain Mendy,  explained that on 1st June
2006, he was taken from his cell to the conference  room of the mile two prison
together with other accused persons charged with  concealment. He said that,
among them were Captain Abdoukarim Jah, Lieutenant  M.A Bah, Corporal Samba Bah,
Lance Corporal Babou Janha, Private Alagie Nying  and Hamadi Sowe. He added
that they were later taken to the NIA headquarters,  and there he went with
Lamin Cham to an office. Capt Mendy said “He gave me a  blank witness form. He
told me that you guys are going to be state witnesses.. I  told him if we are to
be state witnesses, then the cautionary statements should  be cancelled,” said
Mendy. He said that Cham then told him to just write but he  responded that
he could not do so without his attorney being present. Mendy said  that he
later wrote a statement in which he indicated “I reserve my opinion  until my
attorney is present.” Captain Mendy explained that he showed Lamin Cham  his back,
head and hand where he sustained injuries from the beatings. “I told  Lamin
Cham to bring my cautionary statement of the 23rd March 2006 so that it  can be
cancelled, but this never happened” said Capt. Mendy. He continued “they
told me that if I write the witness statement, they will drop my cautionary
statement. What they meant is that they will drop the charges against me,
released me from mile two prison and use me as a witness against other people.”  “I
signed the statement of the 23rd March 2006, because Hydara promised me that
the charges against me will be dropped,” Capt. Mendy concluded.
Cross  Examination By DPP
During cross examination by the state counsel, Emmanuel O.  Fagbenle, Captain
Mendy noted that he has been in the service for almost 23  years. He said he
was a military police before and that he knew Captain Wassa  Camara, as he was
also a military police.  Fagbenle asked him whether he  has ever been
arrested prior to this incident. Mendy replied that he had never  been arrested in
his life and has never been in a police station. Fagbenle asked  him whether he
had ever participated in the arrest of any person, he replied  that he has
never, but only to “dekit.” Asked whether Lamin Cham forced him to  write his
statement, Capt. Mendy replied that he tried to force him but he  refused. Capt.
Mendy denied that he was arrested on the 23rd March 2006, saying,  “I was the
first to be taken to mile two, the records are there.” Fagbenle asked
whether it is true that on Monday 20th March 2006, he was having some  discussions
with the then CDS, Colonel Ndure Cham. Mendy replied, “I cannot  recall that.”
Captain Medny said that while he was the commanding officer of the  Fajara
Barracks, the present CDS (Col. Lang Tombong Tamba) called his office to  inform
him that Colonel Cham was coming there for the certification of soldiers  who
were having training with the American soldiers. He explained that as the
normal military practices, he organised a quarter guard to honour his presence.
Mendy said that after Colonel Cham inspected the quarter guard, he proceeded
for  the certification. Fagbenle asked him when that happened and Mendy
replied that  it happened three (3) weeks before the alleged coup incident. He was
asked  whether Colonel Cham has ever visited the barracks while they were
fencing it  and Mendy replied that he cannot remember that. Fagbenle asked “On what
occasion  did Colonel Cham visit the barracks and asked RSM Bah to talk to
you about the  coup?” “If the Colonel cannot talk to the Captain, who is an RSM
to talk to the  Captain?” replied Mendy.
COUNSELS TO ADDRESS THE COURT
Counsels Lamin S.  Camara and Borry S. Touray, have on Saturday 17th February
2007, told the court  martial at the Yundum Barracks that they are preparing
to address the court on  the totality of the evidence before the court on the
22nd February  2007.
Lamin S. Camara, counsel for accused persons, No. 5 and 6, Captain
Abdoukarim Jah and Lieutenant M.A Bah, respectively, said he will not put his  witness
before the witness box but that he will rely on the totality of the  evidence
before the court. He said his address will also be based on the  evidence
adduced by the prosecution. Counsel Camara who was also holding brief  for
counsels Lamin Jobarteh and Lamin Mboge, who were not present at the court  said that
he cannot decide whether to put their clients before the court,  because he
was not asked to do so.
Earlier on Friday 16th February 2006,  counsel Lamin Jobarteh informed the
court that he has to decide whether to put  his witness in the witness box. He
said there is the likely chance that he would  not put his client in the
witness box to give evidence. Counsel Touray, also  indicated that he wanted to
address the court in the oral form but not in a  written form as suggested by the
Judge advocate, Justice Akomaye Agim. The case  was adjourned to Thursday 22nd
February 2007.

NADD PRESS  RELEASE
Below is a press release issued by the Executive Committee of the  National
Alliance for Democracy and Development on its performance in the  recently
concluded elections and the future:
The Executive Committee of the  National Alliance for Democracy and
Development met on Saturday 10th February,  2007 to review the performance of the
Alliance in the recently concluded  elections and pave the way forward.
The Executive Committee recalled that the  NADD came into being because of
our appreciation of the fact that “no single  opposition party could put an end
to self perpetuating rule, given the culture  of patronage, intimidation and
inducement that had already taken root in the  political life of the country”;
that we did recognise that “empowering the  people to build a durable and
sustainable democracy is the only way to put an  end to the self perpetuating rule
of the APRC regime and prevent the possibility  of the emergence of any
government that would perpetuate itself in office in the  future.”
The Executive observed that the failure to keep NADD intact led to  the
creation of two alliances, one aimed at bringing about a system change while  the
other aimed to bring about a regime change.
In reviewing the results of  the presidential election, it recalled that the
UDP had 104,808 votes while NADD  had 23473 votes. It observed that the votes
of the UDP despite its alliance with  the NRP and GPDP reduced from 149,448 to
104,808 instead of increasing to  185,000 as anticipated. This simply means
that even if other parties joined the  alliance after the split the UDP votes
would not have increased.
In this  regard the NADD Executive Committee concluded that it is the split
in NADD which  is responsible for the dismal results in the presidential
election of the  opposition. Learning from this lesson the NADD Executive argued
that the  opposition may experience the same dismal performance if they fail to
unite  during the National Assembly elections.
The Executive Committee therefore  called for a tactical alliance between the
opposition parties and with  Independent candidates. The failure to forge a
tactical alliance gave rise to  the dismal results of the opposition in the
National Assembly elections with the  UDP claiming 4 seats, NADD 1 and the NRP
none.
The Executive observed that  with a tactical alliance the seats in Jokadu,
Kombo South and Niamina East could  have been easily won and the prospects for
the opposition getting the majority  in the National Assembly would have been
greater.
The Executive further  observed that NADD as originally constituted had 1154
votes in the Nianija  by-election compared to the NRP’s 693 votes in the 2007
National Assembly  election; that Kemeseng under NADD had 3444 votes in the
2005 by election but  had 2760 as a UDP candidate in the 2007 National Assembly
elections.
That  Halifa Sallah as NADD candidate in 2005 by-election had 5911 votes
while scoring  4302 votes in the 2007 National Assembly election with the UDP
candidate polling  1548 votes. The split is obviously a contributing factor to the
results.
In  Kombo East, the UDP candidate had 2814 in the 2006 National Assembly by
election  while NADD had 1109. The combined votes was greater than that of the
APRC  candidate. However in the 2007 National Assembly election the same UDP
candidate  had 2232 votes and lost by a majority of 3909 votes.
The NADD Executive  therefore concludes that with only 58% of the voters
participating in the  presidential election and 41.7% participating in the
National Assembly elections  a vacuum exists in Gambian politics that needs to be
filled. The Executive  considers the filling of this vacuum as an uphill task
which requires realism,  perseverance and tremendous commitment to the national
interest despite the fact  that NADD did not put up a candidate.
The Executive Committee therefore  resolves that the way forward is to call
on all opposition parties to recognise  the dismal performance of the
opposition, restructure their political  organisations and change their tactics to
promote tactical alliances that can  ensure the birth of a genuine multi party
system which will allow the election  of be the undiluted choice of the people.
To begin with itself, the Executive  Committee approved the proposal of the
NADD flag bearer to do away with the  office of flag bearer and hold a primary
election two years before the 2011  presidential election so as to give room
for popular consent to determine  candidature. It endorses the maintenance of a
spokesperson and the effecting of  structural change to accord
responsibilities and functions to members of the  executive in particular and all members in
general to promote collective  leadership.
It further resolves to introduce membership cards and membership  education
to build up the grassroot structures of NADD, mobilize resources and  prepare
the ground for its growth and development, nationally and  internationally.
It envisages the holding of an annual congress to allow the  grass root
structures of NADD to have impact on its strategies, tactics and  policies as well
as their implementation.
The members of the Executive  Committee expressed their resolution to go the
extra mile to attain NADD’s  fundamental objectives regardless of the uphill
task that is envisaged.
It  concludes by extending its appreciation to the voters in Wuli West, in
particular, for maintaining the NADD seat and the voters in all other
constituencies for maintaining their confidence in NADD.
It wishes to assure  them, in particular, and the people, at large, that NADD
is here to stay and  will rejuvenate itself to be worthy of enlisting their
confidence and  support.

DRAMA IN THE COURT
By Bubacarr k. Sowe
An unusual  incident occurred on Thursday at the Kanifing Magistrate’s  Court
when a  defendant jumped police custody and disappeared.
Sarjo Sissoho, (the  defendant), was sued by one Jajeh Conteh over a D130,
000 visa deal. Appearing  before Magistrate Pa Harry Jammeh, Sissoho revealed to
the court the people whom  he bribed to secure visas for his clients. He also
said he gives ten thousand  dalasi to state security agents (name withheld)
to facilitate the trip of his  clients. Sissoho also told the court that with
the help of two German friends,  he has been able to get sixteen people to
Germany and Spain.
Magistrate  Jammeh ruled that the defendant’s act is criminal and has
corrupted security  officers. The Magistrate recommended that Sissoho be arrested and
detained at  the Bundung Police Station for further investigation.
Some minutes after the  order was made, Sissoho sneaked out of the court room
without anybody’s notice.  He was apprehended two hours later by first class
constable, Pateh Jawo, in  Banjulunding where he was seen riding on a motor
bike, allegedly on the run.  Sissoho was then remanded in custody at the State
Central Prisons in Mile Two.  He should be back in court today.

AMADOU CORAH  RELEASED
Mr. Amadou Corah, a businessman and native of Tambasansang in the  Upper
River Region, has breath the air of freedom after more than two months in
different detention centres. Immediately before N/A elections.
Mr.  Corah was arrested by the Police from Basse and initially taken to the
Basse  Police Station where he was later moved to Bansang, Kuntaur, Brikamaba
and  Jareng Police Stations. He was finally released unconditionally on Tuesday
last  week. Many people take his arrest to be politically motivated.
When  contacted, the family members of Mr. Corah confirmed the release of
their loved  one and also commended the Foroyaa for giving the family courage and
hope all  throughout his detention.

NO LAWYER FOR KAWSU CEESAY
By Bubacarr  K. Sowe
Kawsu Ceesay, Chief Electoral Officer of the Independent Electoral
Commission (IEC), on Tuesday told the Magistrate that he has no lawyer to defend  him.
Mr. Ceesay was dragged to court on February 14th on a forgery charge.
Appearing before the Magistrate at the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court he said he  had
tried to contact a lawyer, but still could not secure one. Ceesay appealed  to
the court for more time to search for a legal representative.
The  prosecutor Mr. Umar did not object to the accused’s request and
therefore the  case was adjourned to March 5th.
Mr. Ceesay is alleged to have forged the  signature of Mr. Ndondi Njie,
former Chairman of the IEC to enable him buy  electoral materials from a Canadian
firm to the tune of US $221, 071.94  equivalent to six million dalasi.
According to the particulars of the  offence, on December 2nd, 2006 at
Kanifing and other places. Mr. Ceesay forged  the signature of Mr. Ndondi S.Z Njie,
purporting the approval for the purchase  of electoral materials. Ceesay was
granted bail by the court at his first  appearance to the same tune or a landed
property of equal value.

14  YEAR OLD SEEKS MEDICAL ASSISTANT
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Fatou Njie Barrow, a  fourteen year old girl, is appealing for assistance
from good Samaritans to  facilitate the urgent treatment of her deteriorating
health condition. According  to a report prepared by the Medical Board of the
Royal Victoria Teaching  Hospital (RVTH), Fatou is diagnosed with “complex
congenital cyanotic heart  disease.” The report also says that the girl has been
attending a cardiology  clinic since the age of one with the same diagnosis.
It also states that she  was diagnosed with cyanosed when she was first
admitted in the hospital with  breathlessness at the age of one. The Medical Board
recommends overseas  treatment due to the limited facilities in The Gambia.
Fatou’s father,  Fabakary Barrow, said since February 2003 when the overseas
treatment was  recommended for his daughter, he has been unable to secure the
means to meet the  cost. You can reach Mr. Barrow on 9928138.

HALIFA ON YOUTH AND SELF  DIGNITY
By Annia Gaye
Mr. Halifa Sallah has stated that life is a journey  towards self-
realization and self actualization and said human beings must live  a life of service as
no one can live in complete isolation. Mr. Sallah was  speaking at the
evaluation ceremony of the Bundung Home Link Red Cross on  Saturday 10th February at
Bundung. He noted that youths should bear in mind that  life is a school
where we learn from experience and from each other’s views. He  observed the Red
Cross as an institution of socialization which has tremendous  impact on the
lives of young people to be able to develop themselves through  extra curricular
activities. He informed youths that a society cannot be a good  one without
people being together with norms and values.
Mr. Sallah further  informed youths that it is significant for them to take
their dignity seriously  and to know that the future of human kind depends on
the type of young people,  who are emerging today. He said that youths should
realize that a human being  without dignity, self worth is no better than a
beast.
Mr. Sallah mentioned  the need for youths to start giving value to social
organisations like the Red  Cross as they are new institutions of the society. He
further mentioned that  such institutions need support from societies,
families and individuals.
“I  hope the leadership will be playing their role as an important asset to
the  youths in the institution.

President Jammeh Risks Global  Embarrassment
By Demba Jawo
Like most Gambians, I am quite worried about  the possible repercussions of
the claims by President Jammeh that he has the  “mandate” to cure AIDS and
other so far incurable diseases through the use of  herbal concoctions and
incantations from the Holy Quran. It indeed sounds as if  he got the “mandate” from
a spiritual deity, which smacks of superstition, and  certainly not
compatible with his status as a head of state.
While no doubt  The Gambia and indeed all Gambians would be very proud if it
is indeed proven  that our head of state has got the magical formula to cure
this dreaded global  epidemic which has eluded even the greatest of all
scientists, he seems to be  risking an embarrassment of global proportions for
himself as well as the whole  country.
One would have expected that instead of going straight ahead with  his
treatments, it would have made more scientific sense if he had first  subjected his
concoctions to some laboratory tests to prove their effectiveness  before
making such a public announcement or even commence using people as  guinea-pigs.
Indeed it is dangerous to give false hopes to AID sufferers before  even
authenticating the claims.
The head of the HIV research team at the  University of KwaZulu Natal and a
member of South Africa’s Treatment Action  Campaign, Mr. Jerry Coovadia was
quoted by the BBC saying that it was tragic  that The Gambia had a “political
environment that allows a minister of health  and a president to violate every
foundation of science and public health.”
As  a layman, I understand that HIV/AIDS is not an ordinary disease which
kills  people, but rather, it destroys the immune system of those infected and
therefore makes it much easier for any other opportunistic disease to overwhelm
 them. Therefore, it is possible that President Jammeh’s herbal concoctions
have  the potency to treat some of those opportunistic illnesses, but that
certainly  does not mean that they would also cure AIDS.
Just as the BBC interviewer  said to Dr. Mbowe, it is a big risk for
President Jammeh, who does not have any  medical background, to just from the blue
claim to have the medical knowledge to  cure such a major infection like AIDS.
The Gambia is lucky to have one of the  most reputable medical research
institutions in Africa; the Medical Research  Council, and if indeed he had any
knowledge of curing such a dreaded disease  like AIDS, he should have passed his
concoctions through them so that they would  subject the medicine to some
scientific analysis, and if possible patented  before directly administering it on
patients.
HIV/AIDS has become the most  important disease in the world today because of
the fact that it has been  causing the deaths of so many people and there is
as yet no cure for it.  Therefore, for President Jammeh to claim to have the
spiritual means to cure it,  means that the eyes of the whole world would be
focused on The Gambia. And if  the claim turns out to be just another hoax, then
it is certainly going to be  very embarrassing to this country and indeed all
Gambians and friends of The  Gambia.
While President Jammeh is quite well known for his penchant to stir
controversies, as a head of state, he certainly needs to be very careful about  some
of the things he says or does because they can always come back to  negatively
haunt him and the whole country.
Another aspect of the whole saga  is the negative role being openly played by
the health professionals, who are  supposed to be guided by their
professional ethics rather than allow themselves  to be cajoled by political
considerations. We would have understood Dr. Mbowe’s  position on the matter if he had
been just any other politician, but as a health  professional himself, and
someone in charge of our health system, he is not  expected to try to justify any
unscientific approach to Medical Science issues.  At least, Dr. Mbowe and the
other health professionals at the Royal Victoria  Teaching Hospital, the
Department of Medical Services as well as those at the  National AIDS Secretariat
should have mustered the courage to tell President  Jammeh the truth and be ready
to face the consequences.
Dr. Mbowe has  told us that many of the patients so far “treated” by
President Jammeh are  responding and showing some improvements, and that some lab
analyses have shown  that some of them are showing some negative results, but
there was no indication  that those found negative were indeed infected in the
first place. It is even  hard to see how Dr. Mbowe and his colleagues at the
RVTH and NAS would risk  their jobs and give any results that would embarrass
President Jammeh.  Therefore, the positive announcements should be handled with
caution.
While  we have seen some reaction from the UN system in The Gambia, as well
as the WHO  country office, it is a shame that their reactions were very vague
and hardly  said anything. It is however extremely necessary for the WHO and
UN-AIDS as well  as the international community to come to the rescue of the
Gambian AIDS  patients, who may be given false hopes and made to believe that
they have been  cured of the infection while they are not. Such false hopes
would not only  expose them to even more danger, but it also has the potential to
make the  general public lose confidence in the Gambian health system.
I can recall  that about two years ago, there was a claim in the Daily
Observer by a  traditional doctor at Ghana Town that his medicines can cure AIDS,
and there was  such a swift reaction from the health authorities and NAS, with
everyone of them  condemning him for giving false hopes to AIDS patients. Yet,
here we are today,  with President Jammeh making exactly similar claims and
instead of anyone  condemning him; he is receiving all the praises from our
medical professionals.  This is yet another manifestation of the “Animal Farm”
syndrome in this  country.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
The formation of the National  Congress of British West Africa helped small
and his contemporaries in West  Africa in particular and in Africa in general.
While small was occupied with  establishing Unions in the Gambia to combat
injustices and reduce exploitation,  others such as Herbert Macaulay of Nigeria,
Blaise Diange of Senegal and Casley  Hayford of Gold Coast (Ghana) and others
were all in one way or the other  engaged in fighting colonial domination
injustices and exploitation.
For  example in Kenya in 1920, a number of protest organisations emerged to
fight  specific grievances concerning land alienation, taxes, or labour policy
as well  as the implication of all official measures such as the African was a
second  class human suitable only for exploitation.
During the same time in Nigeria  Herbert Macaulary, a civil engineer became a
public speaker and a polemic writer  which placed him in a position of a
Nationalist leader. This period coincided  with an incident in Lagos Kingdom when
the then king or “eleko” was removed and  Lagos annexed. Macaulay saw this as
injustice and wrote a petition calling on  the colonialists to reinstate the
incumbent. This call was backed by public  opinion in Lagos and continued to
regard the affair as a “distoolment or  dethronement,” which eventually
consolidated Herberts’ movement to the extent of  establishing a party.
Blaise Diagne another contemporary of Francis, is also  necessary to mention
here, even though the French Policy of assimilation was  different from the
British on paper but it has no practical difference in  reality. The French
colonial policy was to make all the people in the communes  in their colonies
citizens of France but it was so stringent that it appeared  almost impossible to
attain citizenship of France through the legal  channel.
But by 1914, Blaise who was born in Goree Island, a commune, but who  had
lived almost continuously throughout his adult life outside of his homeland
returned to contest a seat as representative from Senegal in the French Chamber
of deputies, a post that had always been filled either by a French or Mulatto
candidate. He was then elected thus becoming the first African ever to fill
that  post. During Blaise’s campaign he accused the Europeans and Mulattoes of
both  economic and political discrimination against Africans, and pledging
himself if  elected to regaining the lost citizenship of his people, but he almost
organised  a riot   when he discovered that a European resident named his
dog,  Blaise.
However his struggle bore fruit when the “Natives of the  incorporated
communities of Senegal and their descendants” remained citizens of  France by law.
Diagne’s intervention had for the first time replaced the Black  man’s age old
feeling of inferiority with a sense of dignity and self-respect.  He was
again re-elected in 1919, and more and more communes gained citizenship  of France.
UNITY IN ACTION
During the period between the two World Wars,  Casley Hayford was preoccupied
with a movement that went beyond the limited  question of national politics
within the Gold coast. For many years he had come  to regard international
cooperation among Africans as the most effective means  to the achievement of
greater self-determination by the peoples of West Africa,  at a time when
democratic ideas at the end of the first World War stimulated  nationalists
aspirations in Africa.
According to Hayford unity in thought,  in aspirations and in objective could
best be served through unity in action,  through a United West Africa. True
patriotic love of country was love of  Mankind, and therefore ventured to
commend the coming together of entire West  Africa as one man to think together,
and act together in matters of common good.  Following this conviction, Casley
led a group of educated Africans in organizing  a conference of West African
leaders drawn from the Gambia, Sierra Leone,  Nigeria and the Gold Coast to be
held in Accra in 1920.
The conference was  held and based on three major premises-1. That the
educated African had become  the natural leader of his people, that Wilsonian
self-determination was a proper  basis for political, economic, and social reform in
 British West Africa,  and that community of interest would henceforth lead
West Africans to work in  close concert in achieving their mutual objectives.
RESOLUTION OF THE  CONFERENCE
Resolutions of the conference demands Constitutional reform in  terms of
municipal self-government, the end of courts presided over by British
administrative officers, popular election of half the membership of the  legislative
councils, and the creation of special houses of assembly, containing  popularly
elected majorities, which would be responsible for colonial taxation  and budget
policy, equality of opportunity between European and African was  stressed in
Civil Service, Medical Service, and judicial appointments. They also  urged
the end of economic discrimination against Africans in favour of European
business interests especially in connection with indigenous land ownership and
the right to sell or lease land without interference by the government. They
also demand for more efficient self-government through a strengthened African
Press and particularly through more extensive, improved education capped by a
West African University.
Finally, national self-determination was given a  special African relevance
in the demand that no disposition of the former German  Colonies be made
without reference to the wishes of the people of the  territories involved. The
conference then formed a permanent National Congress  of British West Africa.
Achimota College was later said to be established in  the Gold Coast in
response to the recommendations of the congress.
The  rallying cry of the congress was “taxation goes with effective
representation”  Casley Hayford its chief supporter died in 1930 and it soon expired
but others  like Edward Francis small continued their un-relenting work to
liberate the  African people.
Small continued to intensify the education and organisation  of the people.
See next issue for more details on small’s organizational  capacity.

OPINION
A TAX BASED ECONOMY IS NOT A GOOD SOLUTION TO  THE GAMBIA
Dear Editor,
Although we as a nation under the regime of the  A.P.R.C are being denied or
restricted from many privileges such as assistance  in the form of loans and
grants which were privileged during the previous  government under the P.P.P
regime from the European countries and the U.S.A. But  this tax based economy
would only make matters worse to the poor majority  citizens of the Gambia. As
taxation is increased it reflects to the cost of  commodities and therefore
making high rise in prices of both goods and services.  In such a situation only
the rich will live and the poor will die. Because  nowadays every thing is
being converted to a commodity meaning that every thing  has a value and without
enough money citizens would not afford their needs not  to talk of their
wants. Meaning the few employed will live at the expense of the  poor majority and
the unemployed. But our country, the Gambia is not as poor in  terms of human
and natural resources and all we required is to invest the little  assistance
from foreign creditors and the revenue collected from taxation within  the
most productive sectors like the sea for fishing which could cater for more  food
and also generate revenue from within our local markets for public
consumption and also more foreign currency from experts.
The river Gambia  with its waters can be harnessed for irrigation purpose to
produce enough rice  and other cereals in order to lessen the burden of
dependent on foreign imports.  The River Gambia can also help to minimize
transportation problems. Investment  priority must be given to agriculture for farming
like growing crops, animal  husbandry, poultry keeping, and also much priority
of investment towards  developing our various local industries like the arts
and handcrafts such as tie  and dye, batik music paintings, sepultures and the
theatres? And the driving  power of all these endeavors is the human
resources. So, therefore a positive  and radical steps need to be taken in order to
improve our educational  curriculum at schools to meet all these demands. It is
not only enough to  chanell our education curriculum to office specializations
or white coloured  jobs. The Gambia has its own given environmental realities
and not that all  foreign cultures have to be imported. For culture is a way
of life of certain  group of people living together in the same environment.
Culture can neither be  exported nor imported directly but culture has to be
institutionalized according  to the realities of that particular locality and the
level of development of the  people and the demand of the time.
A Concern Citizen

GAMBIAN  YOUTHS AND THE RISKY ADVENTURE FOR GREENER PASTURES
Youths in The Gambia are  risking their lives in search of better life in
Europe.
However, youths who  are involved in this dangerous journey believe that one
should risk one’s life  to go to Europe to escape unemployment in The Gambia.
They assert that when they  complete their senior secondary school education
that is the end for most of  them, (about 75 per cent of youths), because there
are no jobs or spaces for  them and they end up being criminals and slaves in
their own land. The 25  percent who expect to get employment complain of low
wages and increase in the  price of basic commodities. A youth who want to be
anonymous told me he receives  D1500 per month. He pointed out that when he
buys a bag of rice, the balance is  not sufficient for fish money. He said he
normally ends up borrowing and begging  people, and that he ends up having
problems because he is incapable of paying  his debts. He said can neither feed
himself, nor build a house for himself and  his family. There is mixed reaction
from the government side the Chief Executive  maintains that even if Europe is
sealed with barbed wire, youths will enter  there because as he put it, it is
to go and bring back what was stolen from  Africa, in general and The Gambia
in particular. In his view the African  continent was rich in resources all was
stolen by Europeans during slavery and  colonial times. He emphasised that it
is now time for youths to go to Europe and  get back what belongs to their
forefathers.
On the other hand, the former SoS  for External Affairs and other senior
government officials are of the view that  the youths in The Gambia have no
justification to risk their lives to go to  Europe in search of greener pastures. He
asserted that although grass in the  West may be greener than here, it is
even harder to cut. He said youths in The  Gambia should involve themselves in
skillful work and self employment  ventures.
Furthermore, some youth organisations, for their part, lay blame on  the
government for not providing the avenue for youths for example political
stability, jobs opportunities and better working conditions.
Therefore one  can safely conclude that poverty and lack of opportunities in
The Gambia is what  motivates Gambian youths to risk their precious lives in
the sea.
A Concern  Citizen

DODOU KASSA JATTA &CO. TRIAL
The criminal trial  involving Dodou Kassa Jatta and others was on Tuesday
adjourned by the Kanifing  Magistrates’ Court.
When the case was called by the court clerk, the  prosecutor, Inspector
Bojang, stood up and applied for an adjournment. He told  the court that he wanted
his witness to continue his testimony, but the witness  is stricken by
illness. He therefore applied for a short adjournment. The  defendant’s counsel Lamin
Camara, did not object the application. At that  juncture, the court
adjourned the matter to 26th February for continuation.
Dodou Kassa Jatta, Omar Jatta, Mariama Fatty, Lamin Jawara, Isatou Jawara,
Lamin Jasseh, Chernor Ndure and Mamburama Jatta are standing trial for various
offences. Three of the accused persons are charged with obstructing a police
officer in the execution of his duties. One of them is charged with
threatening  violence and five are charged with prohibition of conduct conducive for
the  breach of peace under the Public Order Act.

SUSAN WAFA  RELIEVED
Mrs. Susan Wafa Ogoo, who until yesterday was the Secretary of State  for
Trade, Industry and Employment, was relieved of her  appointment.
According to a GRTS radio announcement yesterday, she is  relieved of her
appointment with effect from yesterday, 20th February, 2007. The  announcement
states that the President did so in accordance with section 71 (4)  (b) of the
constitution. Mrs. Ogoo has been one of the longest serving ministers  in the
AFPRC/APRC administration of President Jammeh. She was among the first
ministers to be appointed when the AFPRC took the helm of state in July  1994.
She first became minister of Tourism and Culture in 1994 and remained  so
until after the election of President Jammeh in 1996 when she was again
appointed as Secretary of State for Tourism and Culture. However, after  President
Jammeh was re-elected in 2001, she was appointed Secretary of State of  a new
Department, the Department of State for Fisheries, Natural Resources and  the
Environment in March 2002. She served in this position until a curious  cabinet
reshuffle in 2006 soon after the 2006 presidential election when her  name was
conspicuously absent from the list of cabinet members.
Soon  afterwards she was appointed Secretary of State for Trade, Industry and
 Employment. She remained in that position until her termination yesterday.
This makes Mr. Edward Singhateh to be the longest serving minister.
Singhateh and Jammeh were part of the four who led the 1994 coup d’etat. The  other
two were jailed after an alleged coup plot in January 1995. One of them  Sadibou
Hydara died in jail while the other, Sana Sabally, now lives in exile  after
his release from jail.

<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp.  Most comprehensive set of free
safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
web, free AOL Mail and much more.