GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 14:38:42 EDT
Hamjatta,
Thanks for an excellent piece of work. After reading this, I cannot help but
wonder why you at times waste your precious brain cells arguing with some of
the people on the list. I feel really proud reading this. I can attest to
the observations made in your piece about the ineptitude of these "IMF
Missions". When they would come to The Gambia during the Jawara era, Central
Bank drivers would meet them at the airport with the "numbers" you alluded
to. They would be driven to the "five star hotels" with bundles of papers
which I presumed they gleaned as they sipped their coffee. The next morning
they would arrive at the Central Bank and conduct series of meetings where
they would be presented with more "numbers" (some of which were fabricated).
They would go to places like the ports authority, customs and albert market
(to gather information on exchange rates) before retiring to their luxurious
hotels. If my memory serves me right, I think they used to spend five
business days (at most) in The Gambia every quarter.
In my humble opinion (as a non-economist, too) I thought one of the most
serious economic problems we had then (and I think we still face) pertained
to the interest rates commercial banks were charging for their loans. The
interest rate spread we had was ridiculous. You had commercial banks paying
5-8% to depositors and charging their customers 23% for the loans they give
out. At the same time, The Central Bank and the Government Treasury were
paying 15% on their Central Bank bills  and Treasury bill, respectively. So
right there, the commercial banks had no incentive to lend money to ordinary
Gambians. And in the few cases where they lent money to businessmen in The
Gambia, they were just encouraging inflation because these businessmen would
want to price their goods high enough in order to be able to afford the high
interest rates. But just like you suggested, instead of tackling problems
like these and many more peculiar to The Gambia, these so-called economists
will come with their Washington Consensus (paracetamol) prescriptions and
give us the same pills they would give to a country like Ghana.
As you so eloquently demonstrate, a lot of the blame for these economic
problems we face, rest right at the doorsteps of these mammoth institutions.
But some of the blame for the 'hot money' phenomenon also need to go to the
private banks that lend out the money and some of the corrupt governments
that help attract this money. Everyone should know that when high interest
yielding short term deposits are used to finance long term real estate
loans, this is a recipe for disaster. The governments and their citizens
that accepts these deposits and the big banks that give them the funds both
know that this is a problem. However, the banks (mainly U.S. multinational
institutions) know that the U.S. would not stand by and watch while they
collapse. They know the U.S. will use it's weight and ensure that the IMF
bail them out of their risky (highly profitable) ventures in these
developing countries. IMF always come in the guise of bailing out the
developing country. When in actual fact, they are bailing the Chase
Manhattans of this world and their depositors; and by extension, the U.S.
financial system. I say, since these banks reap all the benefits if these
risky loans come through, they should face the music if the corrupt finance
ministers of Mexico cannot make good on their obligations.
A lot of blame also has to go to the countries that try to attract these
forms of financing and end up using the money on the wrong projects. At
best, they show a lack of understanding of these types of financing. Worst
still, the borrowers of 'hot money' are usually only interested in their
immediate goals and have no regard whatsoever for the long term economic
well being of their countries. I recognized that the focus of your article
was not an exhaustive diagnosis of the 'hot money' issue, but I just thought
I mention that we in the developing world also should share part of the
blame.
Again, I salute you for your excellent piece and this just helps to
reinforce my belief that WE MUST GET RID OF YAYA BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, so
that people like you will be in a better position to contribute to the
development of our beloved country.
KB