GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 17:50:40 EST
Saul,
With all due respect, I fail to understand how you could uphold Oliver North as an example of a principled person.  Here is a man who was involved in the Iran-Contra scandal.  Mind you, aside from the Watergate fiasco, this scandal ranks among the top ones to have ever hit this country, and Oliver North oversaw the whole fiasco.  An operation that involved drugs, arms dealing and a great loss of life at the expense of innocent Nicaraguans.  Yet, Mr. North has shown no remorse for his actions. It is true that he tok the rap and went to jail.  But he had no alternative since he was guilty as sin.  You might disagree, but this man was far from a saint.

Besides this, I agree with your gist in respect to the very sad situation that is unfolding in our country. But
Halifa Sallah, to my recollection,  was one of the leading beacons in the fight for transparency in our countrys' political process.  However, time and external influences can easily change principles.  I hope that Halifa uses his present position in to encourage transparency and positive change in The Gambia.