GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:50:48 +0100
From: "Andy Mensah" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 8:59 PM
Subject: [unioNews] Ugandans plan multi-Million pound suit over atrocities

Friday, 5th March 2004
<H3>Ugandans Plan Multi-Million Pound Suit over Atrocities</H3>
<B><i>A Ugandan kingdom plans to sue the British government for
millions of pounds for atrocities they say the British committed
under colonial rule, a kingdom official said in Kampala today.</i></B>

The western Bunyoro kingdom was devastated during a five-year
guerrilla insurgency against the British and the neighbouring Buganda
kingdom, said Ernest Kiiza, the speaker of the small Bunyoro
parliament.

By the time the rebellion was suppressed in 1899, Kiiza said hundreds
of thousands people had been killed or died from war-induced
starvation, reducing the kingdom's population from two million to
100,000.

The realm's elephant population was wiped out during the war and its
salt mines depleted, he said.

British officials were not immediately available for comment.

The Bunyoro kingdom is made up of three districts in western Uganda.
About a million of Uganda's 25 million people live in the kingdom,
which lost much of its land to the Buganda following the rebellion.

Kiiza said the lawsuit will be based on documentary evidence from
British soldiers who fought the Bunyoro.

"Our people were killed massively and during our research we found
(British) officers ... writing to England reporting on massacres of
hundreds of people, the destruction of cattle and plantations and
other property," Kiiza said.

Kingdom officials are still deciding where to file the suit and are
interviewing lawyers who want to take up the case, he said.

 ©2004 Scotsman.com

lllll
QUOTATION:

"All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishments of an African
empire, so strong and powerful as to compel the respect of mankind, but we
in our lifetime can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility
within another generation"
-<html><A HREF="http://members.aol.com/GhanaUnion/afrohero.html">Ancestor
Marcus Mosiah Garvey <i>(1887 - 1940)</i></A></html>

llllllllll
 *  //\\//\\ unioNews Newsgroup //\\//\\   *
 * http://members.aol.com/GhanaUnion *
 *          We're One People         *
 *          Join the Chorus          *
 -    African Union Shall Succeed    -