GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:41:25 PDT
Gambia-L,

I am forwarding these extracts to the L from one of my sources in the
Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

Tombong Saidy: Do you think people now take you seriously having already
made a fool of yourself with your shallow analysis of the Senegalese
Elections in which you stated categorically that Abdou Diouf will win the
elections?

My brother, just send your PROPAGANDA version to the L, and allow me, as
well, to send my version and then it would be up to the people to believe
whichever version they want to believe.

Do you think people like me believed the Government when it said that only
12 were killed? Anyway, I'll deal with you when I do some analysis for the L
on the situation back home.

Ebrima,

The atmosphere is still tense despite the calmness on the surface. As
reported yesterday, the various branches of the security forces continue to
point fingers at each other.

The pressure can be seen in their faces; a pressure they have never
experienced before and never thought possible. To illustrate the point, now
two soldiers (instead of the usual one or a policeman)have
been assigned to each Secretary of State.

The performance of the Secretaries of State day before yesterday, during
their press conference, says it all. Each and every one of them had a
version different from the other, as if they were not recounting the same
event.

In fact, I'll send you a copy of the video cassette capturing the rioting
and you can distribute it to Human rights groups if they have not yet
received it. The video, though recorded by the security forces for their own
keeping, tells a very tragic story or in other words, shows how brutal these
Jammeh thugs are.

The "Point's" editorial on Thursday, a two-page editorial expressed the
desire of the population which pleaded with the VP referred to as our "Dear
sister" to resign. She has let the entire Gambian people down. We should say
a big THANK YOU to "The Point"

With another Paper like it, there will be no need for people like me to be
filing these Up-dates. FOROYAA has also done a magnificent job on the the
tragic events of 10 April.

I understand (but I am yet to confirm it) that President Jammeh arrived
early this morning, stopping over in Dakar. Anyway, as I am sending you this
update, he is definitely nowhere to be found in the country.

What I do know for a fact is that the a section of the NIA was of the view
that he should return to the country unannounced or secretly, admitting that
contrary what they are saying, things are still not under control in the
country.

The students are planning another demonstration on Monday; but this too I
cannot confirm. I tried snooping around the Police Station to see if an
application for such a protest has been filed, without success. I'll tell
something definite later.

By the way, the UDP has issued a statement condemning the actions of the
security forces. An emergency meeting of the Party Executive is planned for
today. Just keep on the pressure. You people on the Internet have been very
effective. Don't you see they have started releasing the dead bodies
following reports on the Net that they were decomposing.