GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:44:41 +0100
Sorry to say that this is not the first time we get such horrifying
testimony, that torture and other abuses take place in the NIA headquarter
in Banjul. (and other places in The Gambia)
No matter what kind of accusation NIA wants to raise against a person,
TORTURE must be condemned.
It´s only a few months ago we got another testimony how a person was
stripped naked and tortured with electric wires on his head and genitals.
Sorry to say that this has become the most common torture all over the
world. Why humiliate a person by stripping him naked ? Why torture him and
keep him under very critical condition ? What kind of people are the
tormentors, who wants to see people suffer, feel that they have the total
power over another person, and even enjoy to execute the torture ?
I said it last year after the april incident, that we need discipline among
the military, police and paramilitary. When they have people under their
control and in custody, there is no need to beat them up. People who has the
power over other human beings must show the utmost discipline, handle
everything correctly and by the book.
The Gambia must be an example on the HUMAN RIGHTS, because The Gambia has
(as one of few African states)  sign and ratified the "African Charter on
Human and Peoples Right",  in october The Gambia hosted the 30th session of
the African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights and in the closing
communiqué expressed concern over appalling situation of human and people´s
rights in many African states, and The Gambia has laid the foundation stone
of the permanent headquarters of the Commission.
I find it very embarrassing if NIA should be the first to face a case when
the headquarter is finished. So Mr. President, I think it´s time for you to
inspect the NIA headquarters, and maybe talk discipline and order to the
personnel, and maybe your broom should sweep out some of the staff, now you
are trimming the states employees. !?
Asbjørn Nordam
Denmark