GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Nderry M'bai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:08:39 +0000
My  Fellow  Gambians,

As   we   enter   the   new   year,     i    wish   every   member   of
the   post    a  long   life  and   progressive    2005.      We    should
  also      continue   to  pray     for    our     departed   colleague
Deyda   Hydara.      He    died    on   a   just    cause.       We   should
  make  it  as    a  point  of   duty,     in   our    day    to    day
gatherings   to   observe   one   minute   silence   for    Hydara.      We
   also   wish   speedy  recovery   for    Ida   Jagne  and    Nyan   Jobe.
    We     hope    and   pray   that    the  almighty   God    will
preserve   their   lives     and    protect  the    Gambian   independent
media    from   this     hostile   and   undemocratic   Jammeh
administration.

Fellow    Gambians,    enemies   of  freedom   in   our  dear  country  will
   be   defeated  sooner  or   later.     Let   us  remain  united  in  our
quest    to   restore  democracy  in  our  fragile   country.      The
struggle   will  continue    despite   moves   by   the  current
administration   to  silence     dissent    and    freedom.      The   year
2004   was  characterised  by   murders,   attempted  assassinations,
arrests,    torture,     abductions    arson   attacks   and  the   butcher
of  our  National  constitution.        The   perpetrators  of  these
heinous  crimes   are  walking   scot   free  in    the  streets  of
Banjul   and  it   environs.       They     are    provided   blanket
immunity   by   Jammeh     not   to    face  any  prosecution.       They
are  licensed    to     kill    Gambians   with  impunity.

The    killing   of   Deyda  Hydara      in   my  mind   was  calculated
to    scare  the   private  press    from   exposing    Jammeh's     dubious
   plans    of   rigging   the    pending   2006  polls.     The      regime
    will    do     everything   possible     to    cling   to  power,
even  though   it   no longer    enjoyed    public  support.

As    a   senior   editorial   staff  of  the   Point  newspaper,    i
could    vividly   remember   the  late  Deyda   Hydara   drawing    my
attention   to    a     statement   made    by   president   Yahya   Jammeh
in   Brikama    in    his   so called  "Dialogue   With   The  People
Tour"    that    his   critics   making   noise   will  not   be   a
living   witnesses   of   the  2006  polls.       Based   on  this  alarming
    threats,    i     was    assigned   by    Hydara   to   solicit
reaction    from   the  opposition.      Femi     Peters    of     the
United   Democratic   Party  (UDP)    was   interviewed   and   this    what
  he  had   to  say"  Jammeh's    threats   of  killing  us  is    serious
and   he   Jammeh   should    be  held   responsible   for    the   killing
  of   any  member   of   the  opposition.      We   are  concerned   about
his  pronouncements   and    we  are   not  taking   it   lightly".

Little   did   Deyda   Hydara   knows  that  his  life   was  on   the  line
  at   the  time.       Hydara   was   a  great  lover  of    freedom   and
  hate   to   see   Jammeh's   statement   go  unchallenged.      I     can
   remember   him    telling   me   "Pa    Nderry     you  should  talk  to
the   opposition   to   find   out   how   they  feel   about   Jammeh's
threats.  It     should   be  documented   for   the   purpose  of
posterity.      These  boys    are   capable   of    doing   anything.
This   is   a  worrying   statement."

Now   the   questions    right   thinking   minded   Gambians    are  asking
   are   "     Was     Deyda    Hydara    among   those   targeted   by
dictator    Yahya  Jammeh    for   elimination?      Was   this   killing
a    pre-election   message   for  the  opposition  and  Gambians    in
general?      We   hope  Jammeh   will   help  us  with   the  answers   to
  these  questions.

Deyda   was  on   record   for   having   said   in    one   of  his
writes-up   that   he  and  his   editorial   staff  were   targeted   for
possible   killing.        "You   can   bring   your   machetes,    rocket
launchers,    AK  47  rifles  and  ammo   tanks,     but   will   continue
to   publish  the  truth"    Hydara   said    in    response   to     a
tussle   with   the   the   Gambian  army.       He    was  at   logger
heads  with   the  army spokesman   Captain   Bunja   Darboe   over   news
torture  stories    against  the  GNA    published   by  the  Point.

Few   months   prior  to   his  death,    Deyda   was   also    threatened
by   a  Swiss   National  contracted  by   Yahya  Jammeh  to   manage  the
  Kairaba    Hotel,    which  was  sold  to  the  Kuwaiti  multimillionaire
Muhammed     Karaffi.        The    swiss  national   was  apparently
angered  by  a   story  carried   by  the  point   that    he  was  held  by
  the  NIA   over  certain   business  activities   relating  to  the  sold
hotel.     He    sent  a   rejoinder   to   the  point   describing  the
paper  as  a  "Tapalapa"    newspaper  and   vowed   to   deal   with  Deyda
   if   he  fails    to   retract   his   arrest    story.       The   Swiss
   manger  went  as  far  telephoning   Hydara.   "       The   Swiss
national   also  brags  that  Jammeh  was  one  his  boys  and  he  can   do
  things   with  impunity.     I   could   remember   writing  series  of
stories  about  the   swiss  man's   bad   relation  with  the  hotel  local
  staff.      Due   to  his  violence   nature,  he  even  fought  with  one
  of   his   staff   members.      He   even  pulled   out    a  gass  spray
  for  the  sacked  staff.

My   Fellow   Gambians,    I   am   not  trying   to   link   the  swiss
National   to   Deyda's   death.    But   i    thought   it   necessary  to
   highlight  the  amount  of   persecution   Deyda    suffered   in   The
Gambia   prior   to   his  murder.        All   these  are  vital  clues
for  investigations.       I    do   know   that  he   was  not  in  the
good  books   of   Jammeh  and  his   army.       The  Point   had  been  on
  the  forefront  in   exposing  torture   related  stories  linked  to  the
  Gambia  National   Army.     The   local  beach  boys  widely  known  as
bumsters  have  on   numerous  occasions   stormed  our  offices   with
injuries  on  their   bodies   claiming  to   be  victims  of   army
brutality.        The   Point   never  hesitated  in   publishing   their
claims.       Deyda  will  always   refer  such  complainants  to  me   for
interview.      Our    office  is    kind   of  a   police  station,
because  Gambians   and  non-Gambians  alike   will  come   with  all  kinds
  of     complaints   against  the  state.       I    can  remember
receiving  two   Sierra  Leonian   refugees   in  my  office  complaining
    that   they  were  nearly   tortured  to    death   by  the National
Guards.      They   were  accused  of    harbouring   a   man  who  was
being   trailed   by  the  Army.

My   Fellow   Gambians,    Deyda    died  in  the  cause  of   serving  his
  country.       He   had  sacrificed  his   life   to   defend   the   poor
  and   the  voiceless.       Confronting   a  dictatorship  is  not  an
easy  task,    but   with   unity  and  determination,    we  will   emerge
victorious  one  day.      God   bless  The   Gambia   and  her   people.