GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:31:30 EST
In a message dated 2/22/2001 12:11:57 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> As much as much as we recognise the need for a reconciliation and healing
> process,after the bloody events of april 10/11, there is also a need for
> justice.We Gambians are not witch hunters but the  people responsible for
> the killings of school children should face the law unless we want to sow
> the seeds of lawness.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Daffeh,

I believe that what you have expressed here is what motivates all those who
speak out at this critical time in the history of our country to do so. I
know that  what motivates me is to see a Gambia where the people are well
educated and well informed about their rights, because only then can the
people truely become the owners of the power that governs them in the true
sense of the word.

Some of us have to take on the role of being the people's advocates while
looking for absolutely nothing in return, but just so that we the people can
be an informed public, so we can  keep our politicians on their toes at all
times, and let them know that if they cannot do the job, and do it properly,
and according to the laws in a constitution that protects our rights and
thereby guarantees our safety and progress as a people and a nation, then
they have no business trying to take on the role of leadership.

If anyone's motivation is greed and the amassing of ill gotten wealth for
which they will not hesitate to committ  or be collaborators to murder and
mayhem, then they need to go elsewhere to committ these crimes, because the
seat of government is not the arena where these things should be played out.
Indeed, all civilized societies have laws to prevent the occurrences of these
undesirable activities in their midst, and the reason for the existence of
jails is to incarcerate people who engage in these lawless acts. These are
not desirable traits in any human being, especially those in leadership roles.

I think that the allegation that those of us who speak out do so because we
hate anyone is not an intelligent assesment by those who say this. Love of
our country, our people and our tradition, as well as the desire to see the
peace and harmony with which we Gambians have lived under side by side for as
long as we remember, is our collective motivation, and this should be obvious
to everyone, because whatever we are complaining about, and informing the
World about, did take place in our country, and the evidence is there for the
whole World to see.

This allegation  is a tool and a response from the guilty parties who have no
other response when confronted with the facts about the crimes committed; and
the lives continually disrupted and subjected to all sorts of hardships, due
to the rampant disregard of the rule of law that has become the order of the
day in The Gambia under Jammeh's regime.

However, all the crimes will be investigated one day, and all those who are
guilty will have to pay accordingly. I agree that to make sure that justice
is eventually  rendered for crimes committed is a right we as Gambians cannot
afford to forsake., not now, and not ever.

Jabou Joh