GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:19:56 EST

Someone just sent me this. I wonder what role they want to assign to the
Independent in this invented drama.

Subject: [>-<] Alert - Independent Newspaper Sealed Off,  Staff Arrested

[ This e-mail is posted to Gambia|Post  e-Gathering by "Baba Galleh Jallow"

We have received reliable information that the offices of The Independent
newspaper were this morning sealed off by security forces. All staff on the
premises were arrested by officers of the CID and Police Intervention Unit.  Even
visitors to this office this morning were picked up. As of now, the  offices
are sealed off and no one is allowed to enter the premises.

While some of the junior and middle level staff have been released as at
this point, Editor-in-Chief Musa Saidykhan and General Manager Madi Ceesay
remain under custody at National Intelligence Agency (NIA) headquarters in  Banjul.
Mr. Saidykhan was picked up by Police Intervention Unit officers at  around
Midnight on Monday but was later transfered to NIA headquarters.

No reasons have been given for this latest outrage by the Jammeh regime.  All
we know is they said they are investigating. What they are investigating
reamins a mystery to us. We call upon all members of the media and human  rights
fraternity to call for the immediate release of Mr. Ceesay and Mr.  Saidykhan
and allow the paper to resume its operations.

Thanks all.

Baba G. Jallow
Founder Editor/CEO
Washington, DC