GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:25:16 -0500
When I saw Jassey-conteh’s nauseating flip-flop, I told myself that I should
just ignore the hypocrite and not seek to moralize with the man. I thought
it would be a waste of time to try and talk sense into conteh. The man has
clearly lost it and no amount of reasoning can help him see the light.

Because he does not have the wherewithal to defend the indefensible, he will
conveniently ignore all arguments people throw at him, and simply
concentrate on pleasing his leader (SM Dibba). You can take Conteh to the
stream, but just like you cannot force a donkey to drink, you cannot force
Conteh to get it into his thick skull that he is a sell-out. Here I seek not
to convince Conteh to deviate from his disastrous path. I say, let the moron
hang himself. I also do not seek to show the man the flip-flop he made.
George Sarr did a good job of reminding him some of the utterances he made
against Yaya.

I seek here to lament how the moron took people (including myself) for a
ride. Granted, towards the Election period Conteh showed his colors to some
of us and we cut him loose. But a lot of people bought into Conteh’s and
Dibba’s opportunistic anti-PPP rhetoric and sided with Conteh (and by
extension, Yaya) despite our protestations. One would have thought that
after the election NCP would be merging with NRP or/and PDOIS. After all
they share a common agenda of hating PPP more than they hate Yaya. All three
Parties were not prepared to share a platform with PPP. But NCP will
willingly go to bed with child murderers. And the vermin want to convince us
that they are doing us a favor by helping to perpetuate Yaya? Conteh’s head
needs to be examined. If he and Dibba think that they are fooling people,
they must be bigger fools than I thought.

It is hilarious how Conteh always pretend to be on the side of Good over
Evil when he lists some of the abuses AFPRC/APRC perpetrate on the
defenseless citizens. The man gives his support to child murderers, then
turn around and say that it is wrong to massacre defenseless children as
young as three. Well, I say to Conteh, do to Yaya what you did to the
Opposition during the campaign. During the campaign Conteh was so ‘upset’
about the PPP record that he did not want to join a coalition with PPP in
it. He was so ‘upset’ about what happened to NRP and PDOIS that he withdrew
his donation he gave to a united opposition. In other words, actions
followed his feelings. But when it comes to Yaya now, when Conteh is ‘upset’
that journalists are brutalized, he simply ‘lists’ his grievance on G_L and
then continue to support Yaya. This man is just something else.

I said I was not going to quote Conteh’s earlier utterances, but what the
heck. Guess I cannot resist the temptation. Here we go: Conteh: “Whether or
not yahya hates Mandinkas, it is a dangerous trend for some to advocate that
the struggle to unseat him should turn to tribal politics.  The Gambia
cannot and should not be for the birds.  The Gambia belongs to all of us.
It is shame that some will stoop that low in the name of seeking the truth.”

I like this quote because it illustrates what a sycophant Conteh has turn
out to be. It is not difficult to visualize Conteh as one of the Nazi guards
that used to lead Jews to the gas chambers. Why? Because this man is
prepared to ignore blatant facts in his quest to show SM Dibba blind
loyalty. Can anyone of us tell the extent to which Conteh is prepared to go
for Dibba? See, in the above quotation Conteh described people that engaged
in tribal politics as shameful low-lives. Guess what? It was SM Dibba that
was quoted in the press telling Mandinkas in Baddibu to vote for him because
Jolas were voting for Yaya. But needless to say, Conteh does not want to
recognize that.

When Conteh made this statement in the heat of the campaign, I took note of
it together with other statements he made. Among them was this one: Conteh:
“Jammeh has indeed preyed on the selfish who abandoned their principles and
[seeked] opportunistic tendencies in their thirsts for power.” Emphasis
mine.

I do not think that even Conteh (at the height of hallucination) will say
that he and Dibba did not abandon their principles. Clearly, the disgraced
duo have jettisoned their principles. Just listen to Conteh again: “Some
Gambians during the early stages of the coup embraced this new revolution
without quantifying the relative danger that a military would exhibit on its
citizens.  In these periods of ignorance and lack of understanding with the
realities of political judgment, many became amazed with the new leader's
apparent policies of developments without fully understanding the value of
quality over quantity.  Some even became fanatical in believing that jammeh
had embarked on democratic principles for the overall benefit of The Gambian
society.  What some failed to understand was that [poliical] intimidation
and manipulative dictatorial style of the APRC government circumvented some
regrettable incidents in our country's history.” Emphasis mine.

Granted, in usual Conteh style, we are dealing here with gibberish. But
Conteh’s mumbo jumbo should not disarm us to relegate him to the faction of
fools such as Essa Sey that are engaged in ceaseless irrational rattling.
Conteh was trying to say that the APRC government cannot embark on ‘quality
development’. I can categorically tell you that both Conteh and Dibba know
that they cannot do anything to ‘help’ APRC develop the country. Both Conteh
and Dibba know that if Yaya wants to steal from our government coffers or
want to order the massacre of children in order to perpetuate himself in
power, there is not a darn thing Dibba can do about that.

These people are opportunists. Period. God help us from betrayal.
KB