GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebou colly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:39:07 -0800
I am reposting thismessage because an earlier attempt
did not  go through. Sorry for any inconvenience. ec.

THE GNA SOLDIERS NOT THE POWER BASE FOR YAYA JAMMEH

Before dealing with my next subject, I would first
like to extend my sincere appreciation to all those
wonderful comments sent by various readers of my last
issue. Your encouraging words were certainly morale
boosters and have reinforced my determination and
spirit to be more sharing with a candid approach.

I cannot however ignore the few questions forwarded
doubting the credibility of my information, because I
sincerely believe that every skeptic deserve a
satisfactory explanation of everything said about the
Jammeh regime. Saying that I was a true serving member
of the Gambia National Army (GNA) from its early
inception in 1985 to its most recent past may not be
sufficient consolidate the credibility I hope to
project. If I also stopped at merely explaining my
broad knowledge of military operations-orders ranging
from the section, platoon, company or even battalion
battle drills, the highest operational capability of
the present GNA my points may still not sink in well
into the minds of those without proper military
education. However before elaborating on some more
tangible lines, I would like to inform everybody that
I am a well-trained infantry soldier with advanced
skills of a combatant in field craft, the special
ability of a sharp shooter but above all the
discipline of a true soldier. A true soldier precisely
means a good fighter for the right course without
being unnecessarily bloodthirsty. It also means being
professional and having less or nothing to do with
politics. Soldiers with political aspirations are
nothing but rebels or bandits in uniform.

However let me now give a broader or additional proof
of my assertion that Jammeh's government always comes
up with false coup plots merely to eliminate innocent
Gambians. Take the case of Captain Yankuba Drammeh the
current Commanding Officer(CO) of the largest fighting
battalion in the GNA,1 Infantry Battalion. His office
and cellular phone numbers are 4722121 and 990178
respectively. Call him and if he is honest with you
should be able to tell you the harrowing experience he
suffered at Mile Two Central prisons accused by Jammeh
of a dubious coup plot against his government. Or you
try Captain Cherno Jallow the present CO of the second
largest battalion on his office number-497100-and he
could also tell you the terrible days he was
incarcerated at death row by Yaya for planning a coup
he could not justify. Captain Alpha Kinteh at the Army
Headquarters Banjul on 225772or225771 also suffered in
the hands of Yaya on a coup conspiracy charge no one
could enlighten for him. I could go on and on, but
that would simply tie me down on this subject that I
think I have now been adequately treated, at least for
this forum. So I will move to my next subject
deserving equal importance.

As a former member of the GNA I am now trying to find
the right voice to speak for mainly those honest and
good soldiers of the GNA who had nothing to do with
Yaya's coup and are ashamed of being associated with
him or his government. Nevertheless the general
civilian public often categorize all the soldiers in
uniform as other Yaya Jammehs, Edward Singhatehs,
Lamin Kaba Bajos, Yankuba Tourays or the few stupid
ones blindly following them. Contrary to that
stereotype concept, I can speak with confidence that
90% or more of the GNA soldiers on active service are
very good, honest and God fearing Gambians holding on
to their jobs primarily to make a simple living. But
given the negative legacy of African armies in general
with the Gambia not an exception, the civilian
population have developed the wrong notion that all
the soldiers are evil. Consequently when members of
the army are improperly treated in a  manner that does
not conform with the standard laws of the nation or
the constitution, the legal institutions or civil
population usually brush it aside as unimportant
isolated problems.

Take for instance the so-called counter coup of 11th
November 1994 when Yaya Jammeh falsely accused some
GNA officers and other ranks and then summarily
executed them in the most gruesome manner. The
majority were executed on the 13th of November, two
days after the AFPRC government stated that all of
them were killed in a fire on the 11th of November.
The entire Gambian public was aware of the lies of the
government in that serious crime. But how did they
react to that unlawful butchery of those innocent
Gambian soldiers? They simply gossiped their regret
over the terrible act without a single voice of
protest raised or any form of pressure exerted on
Jammeh and his killers to satisfy their doubts.

The soldiers at Yundum Barracks that evening wept like
children as their colleagues were driven away in a
Land Rover pick-up vehicle to the out skirts of
Nyambai Forest where they were cowardly killed one
after another. Their dead limp bodies were later
brought back and handed over to the moronic
Chief-Of-Staff Baboucarr Jatta who supervised the
final terrible act of burying the men naked behind the
toilets. The bulk of the soldiers stood by numb in
their legs with fear and shock. And as soon as they
left the barracks the stupefied soldiers started
telling the whole story the exact manner it happened
and monsters who took part in the killing. The last
shots that killed Sergeants E.M.Ceesay and Basiru
Camara were ordered by Edward Singhateh around
6.00p.m. His former driver Batch Jallow used a
Chinese-made A.K 47,folding butt, to shoot and killed
the two Sergeants at point range. But all the killing
instructions were coming directly from Yaya. It was
the worst crime committed against humanity by the
AFPRC government.

Anyhow the Gambian public seemed to care less about
that crime. At least the Gambian public could have
asked for the bodies with proper postmortem performed
on everyone and of course have them handed over to
their families for proper burial. There was no war or
social disturbance in the nation at that moment to
necessitate that hasty and terrible burial. The only
reason they was to hide the evidence of what did. Up
to tkis present time no one shows a glimmer of
interest in that case. It is not proper for those
soldiers to remain there forever as if they do not
deserve to be buried in any cemeteries in the country.
Why should Yaya Jammeh condition the minds of all the
Gambians into remaining this silent about something
that has no iota of justice or human decency? Why?
Why? Why? These men had wives and children who still
dont't know where their fathers have disappeared to
since that day they left for work in 1994.

By comparison however, the other tragic killing of
Ousman Koro Ceesay six months later seemed to have
attracted more public sympathy and out cry than the
innocent Gambian soldiers lying at Yundum.What's the
logic? It was really ugly killing the former Finance
Minister of the AFPRC government and burning him in
his official car to hide the evidence. But did you
know that Lt.Gibril  Saye was bayonetted all over his
body including both his eyes before he was finally
shot by Staff Sergent Kanyi? Lt. Abdoulie Faal (DOT)
had his back bone broken by bending him backwards
until the bone snap at his waist before he was shot
and killed with a 9mm pistol.

All these stories were more or less known to the
Gambian public, but because they were soldiers, the
crimes were perfectly normal.

So one could judge clearly the precarious message
behind the whole episode. When Jammeh hits a civilian
regardless of how friendly or close that person was to
the tyrant, the action is condemned with the whole GNA
sometimes blamed for it. Yet when a soldier attempts
to even question the legitimacy of the idiot and is as
a result maimed or killed the public says little or
nothing about it.

Anyhow in actual fact , looking at Jammeh's government
since the coup in 1994,it has always been the
civilians who supplied him with the right
administrative ingredients that has sustained his
government for so long. The soldiers could not and in
reality would not if they could. Apparently even the
most educated and best trained soldiers of the GNA had
no clue of how to run a government much more Yaya one
of the most under-educated and less-trained in the
army. With his grade 11 high school education the
idiot was not even a member of the GNA. He was a
gendermarie personnel with then worst record of
professional or academic attainment. If the civilians
worshipping him were aware of how mentally backward he
was, and they decide to stop helping him today, within
few hours his government would collapse altogether.
But perhaps the civilians very well know the low
mental level of the fool and enjoy exploiting it for
their selfish interest

What is only sad about it is the continuous
denunciation of the ordinary common soldiers for
keeping the Kaninlai monsterin power. But can you
remember Fafa Mbye who selfishly armed the Jammeh
regime in the beginning with all those decrees and
legal arsenals used to destroy several selected
Gambian families? Can you also remember those
so-called  great civilian intellectuals of the Jawara
era who have totally shifted their loyalty to Jammeh
with fanatical zeal. On the active front, there were
the Bolong Sonkos, the Blaise Jagnes,Omar Njie,Famara
Jatta, Isatou Njie Saidy,Balla Jahumpa and now the
most prominent being Momodou Lamin Sidat Jobe. Would
all of them in the end be treated as innocents and
blame the soldiers for Jammeh's crimes? My friends
let's be realistic I think it would have been somewhat
fairer if blame was shared between the greedy civilian
and the rebels in uniform disguised as soldiers.

Even with that, an objective critic may want to think
twice if the calibre of soldiers in power is well
scrutinised. For example the sadist Edward Singhateh,
apart from his animal brutality which makes him a
notorious killer of innocent Gambians,the half-cast
has nothing in his brain to make him a competent
administrator. As for Yankuba Touray, his only
effective role in the system is taking the local
political platform and reinforcing every lie uttered
by Yaya. He has the mental ability of a kindergarten
child. He is absolutely zero when it comes to
formulating government policies let alone executing
them.

Lamin Kaba Bajo? He is the one I respect the least
among them. Hiding behind religion, he is the most
empty-headed and disloyal person in the history of
security forces in the Gambia. At the time of the coup
in 1994,Lamin was a captain commanding the whole
Presidential Guards of Ex-President
Jawara.However,when the coward heard about the
advancing soldiers coming to overthrow the government
he abandoned the unit and ran away to Dakar Senegal
with President Jawara's family.He returned a week
later to be given a high position by Jammeh because
they were old friends.

These are men who have no virtues, carry little or no
valuable knowledge in their head and lacked every form
of human conscience to make them good administrators.

So take it from me, an ordinary civil disobedience of
the Jammeh establishment would have been the easiest
way to expel his government from power. The real
soldiers would prefer it that way. A genuine mass
movement will in fact attract a lot of soldiers to
move along with it rather than against it. But instead
even the career politicians remain silent in their
chambers. Where are the Sheriff Dibbas, Andrew
Camaras, Gibou Jagnes etc. etc.?

You may not know this but frankly speaking it hurts
all serving soldiers dearly to associate Yaya Jammeh
with true military characters or values since the man
is nothing but a pathological liar, a "corruptomaniac"
and a mass murderer under the guise of the noble army
uniform. He lies about every thing under the sun, he
even decorated him self with the ECOMOG medal and
would often lie shamelessly about the peacekeeping
role he played in Liberia when he had never step his
foot there. He lies about how Sana Sabally and the
late Sadibou Haidara aimed their weapons at him on the
27th of January 1994 and attempted to shoot him
without success because his "jujus" caused the guns to
malfunction.  The soldiers who apprehended Sana and
Sadibou would tell you how Yaya almost shit his pants
that day out of fear hiding away from the actual
encounter.

And where did he get all the millions of Dalasis he
has been spending on his private multi-million Dalasi
projects in the country? The soldiers are all
disturbed by his wave of corrupt activities. Take for
instance the insult to all military ethics by Jammeh
giving the official residence of the CO at Fajara
Barracks to his mother. The house was once occupied by
Major Ebrima Chongan and should have now been occupied
by the current Commander.

I don't need to say any more on why I termed him a
mass murderer anyway. But believe in me, looking at
the danger Yaya has entangled himself with as the
pitiful President of The Gambia condemned on a clear
path of ultimate doom, few or no soldiers would even
contemplate eliminating him for fear of being stock
with the possibility of becoming another suicidal
leader. However the idiot lives in a dream world of a
child's mind far duller than that of  Samuel Doe's who
once got the message and chance to leave the political
scene when he could but played the fool until he was
captured and butchered. With Yaya,his recent remarks
in The Gambia saying that presidents don't die in
their own political problems indicates how unreceptive
his brain is in political history of the African
continent.

But I would still insist that the civilians and not
the soldiers for once take the bull by the horns and
do it to Yaya Jammeh. Or would they continue to find
their personal opportunities of big positions in the
government while still blaming the soldiers for
keeping Jammeh in power? Was it not a shocking shame
that Abdoulai Sallah after retiring with absolute
disgrace as ambassador has accepted another
ministerial position from Yaya? No wonder with all the
clear evidence seen the civil community is still
sheepishly appealing to Yaya the number one
orchestrator of the killing of Ousman Koro Ceesay to
investigate the case and tell them what they have
certainly known already. Is that not something?

The soldiers should continue to pray hoping that time
would show the clear truth. But I am still looking
forward to that special day when the remains of our
colleagues are removed from the back of the toilets of
Yundum and paraded with honour before given the
peaceful burial they honestly deserve. The Gambian
constitution will be rectified to cover all of the
soldiers dead or alive and will ensure that such
things would never be entertained in our midst again.
If soldiers are killed again under any circumstances,
our families must get the bodies and we would lay our
lives to stop any bastard trying to bury us behind
toilets of our own barracks. Sorry to say, but for the
moment any of you out there could end up in those
shallow graves at Yundum Barracks.
.

On a final note, be assured that I am committed to
reestablishing good governance in The Gambia and the
preparations for that campaign is in earnest. It is
just a matter of short time when we will roll into the
country and clean the nation of that terrible
government. I know what it would take.

Well Mr. Ebrima Ceesay for a while I simply thought of
ignoring your rather confrontational remarks for
obvious reasons but a second thought after all, made
me change my mind. It really fascinated me reading the
level of obsession you expressed in struggling to
expose my identity. I doubt as to whether you realized
how desperate you sounded. You even sounded quite
threatening saying something to the effect that you
may use your super knowledge of the information super
highway to trace my location and expose my true
identity. And you also said you have other means of
secret techniques at your disposal to reveal who I am.
Great, you can go ahead and make my day. I sincerely
do not think you possess any special knowledge or
secret formula to proof to the world anything
different from Ebou Colly being really the person I
am. And I seriously think you lack a thorough
knowledge of how the Internet works.

Anyhow I am only pleased that you seemed to have
nothing to challenge about the credibility of my
information regardless of what I consider the
tremendous show off you displayed on your knowledge of
the Jammeh era. Credibility of the information
supposedly matters greater in the so-called debate.
Playing your game however, I wonder whether you gave a
serious thought to the reason why I should be hiding
my identity if in reality I am. Perhaps it is for a
very genuine reason that should be respected as long
as I am willing to supply the relevant information I
want to share with all Gambians out there. After all
if it were not for credibility, what other relevance
would you say my real identity has in the so- called
debate? The way I see it, correct me if I am wrong,
the only sensible reason I could make out of it are
these two possibilities: (1) You seemed to have
already been telling everybody around you how well you
actually know me as a different person from Ebou Colly
and now you are burdened with the challenge of
confirming it ;or (2) You disliked what I said about
Jammeh and his terrible government so you mapped out a
scheme of silencing me. Brother I think you have a
tough job in hand because my course is already mapped
out too and the psychological game of an amateur shall
not make me deviate from it.

I did not bother to answer your questions directly
because, just as you put it in one of your second
submission you know the answers but only want to check
with me. Several doubts have been clarified in this
text and many more shall come but based purely on my
plan and pace. This is a forum for all
Gambians to receive what I have to offer so don't just
expect to change my program into a hide and seek game
with you or any other person for that matter.

However, for once I will try to help you with these
questions you asked? The speeches you referred to on
the first day of the coup from Radio 1 FM, I assume
you very well knew at the time that the late Lt.
Basiru Barrow announced the English version while
Capt. Momodou Lamin Sonko repeated it in Mandinka and
Wollof. Unfortunately  the lieutenant was among those
butchered on the 11th of November 1994 and is still
lying behind the Yundum Barracks toilet but the
captain is still around living somewhere in the USA.
With that information it should be a piece of cake for
you to trace him using your super knowledge of
cyberspace or those secret formula you have. He is
certainly the only person who can tell you who wrote
that speech because I honestly have no idea about the
author.

You also made mention of a speech  that I had
something to do with hiding it, eh?  Presumably you
seemed to be referring to Yaya Jammeh's maide speech
at Radio Gambia, right? If that is the one, you must
have to my surprise missed that clear answer to who
actually wrote it. That speech in its original
manuscript has been on display at the small museum on
ARCH 22 in Banjul. It is there neatly laminated and
placed on an antique-looking table standing beside a
similar chair with the following inscription printed
above: This speech was written by His Excellency Yaya
Abdulasis Junkung Jamus Jammeh President of The
Republic Of The Gambia sitting on this table and chair
well before he overthrew the P.P.P. government.
Something very similar to that. I don't know how you
really missed that with your outstanding journalistic
credentials. Or should I say that you were among those
gullible journalists easily fed with so many lies by
the then AFPRC boys about all those officers who did
not take part in the coup including the 36 of them
incarcerated at mile two?
Of course  I was never part of the coup plotters like
the majority of the officers, and I am perfectly proud
of that.

Ebou Colley

.