GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:45:23 +0100
From: Elum Aniap Godfrey Ayoo
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask] ; Alex Bagyenzire Atuhaire ; Mulindwa Edward ; [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 3:45 PM
Subject: ABIYA MASSACRE

 Comrades & Netters,

Do find bellow the full text of our broadcast tonight

ABIYA MASSACRE
Last week breaking news flashes from northern Uganda was relayed in major TV and Radio stations throughout Africa, Americas, Europe and other parts of the world informing viewers, listeners and readers of a gruesome massacre of 70 peasants at Abiya, east of Lango in northern Uganda. As the routine has been and still is, journalists, newsmen, governments and institutions, and almost everyone watching, listening or reading the news could not have failed to condemn the perpetuators. It is unfortunate that at the Abiya massacre was blamed on the Lord Resistance Army. However, Radio Rhino International-Africa and I refused then to buy the story linking LRA to the Abiya massacre and every crime committed in northern Uganda. I do not deny the fact that the LRA is a political and military reality actively involved in the insurgency in northern and eastern Uganda.

However, considering the information sent to RRIA from Lango, I have every reasons to believe that a band of 400 armed men camped at Golgoi forest located between Okwang and Pader-Lango boarder carried out the Abiya massacre last Wednesday and the killings of 15 peasants at Okwang last weekend, and most of the on-going killings in Lango. The 400 armed men camped at Golgoi comprise of ex-soldiers of Bamuze's WNLF II and some nomads recruited by dictator Museveni who sent them disguised as normal Mobile Units to carry out counter-insurgency covert military offensive against innocent Lango peasants to drive a wage between Lango and Acholi. While I caution the people of Lango and Acholi to become vigilant, I advise you to unite and zero onto one of the sources of danger and powder cage roaming Golgoi and other areas of your towns and villages. As I have said before, I will repeat it here and now that we must turn our focus on our common enemy who deliberately continue to deny us security, peace and development in northern Uganda.

While the newly passed out soldiers of Amuka were being armed, part of the uniform and weapons meant for Amuka was sifted and given to the 400 ex-soldiers of Bamuze and nomads camped at Golgoi. In order to understand the reasons motivating dictator Museveni ordering the Abiya massacre, we must always remember that dictator Museveni and the enemies of northern Uganda want to upset and annoy Lango and Acholi so much, so as to take Lango to assist him in his bloody war of vengeance, repression, gradual extinction of Acholi and Lango. He has not done it out of trust, but rather created chaos in our midst to exploit and send us to fight his war.

If Lango and Acholi jump onto Museveni wagon of massacre, dictator Museveni wouldn't go along with neither the Lango nor the Acholi but he would get back to his devilish political corners at Rwakitura and Kampala laughing his devilish silly head off as we kill one another and of course that would be one political fear and dilemma shelved. He would then tell the world, well take a look at them, the primitive northerners are slaughtering and massacring one another to extinction. Didn't I tell you all along that they are primitive, beastly brutes deserving caging within the fences of IDP camps?  we join him I am further informed that a UPDF commander (whose name I cannot mention now) who coordinated the armament and plans for the Abiya and Okwang massacres disappeared from Lira barracks 4 days to the fateful day of the Abiya massacre. Are you therefore surprised when the Uganda newspaper reported dictator Museveni doesn't consider the Abiya massacre as a massacre! What really is the defination of a massacre; The Concise English Dictionary defines a massacre as: indiscriminate slaughter, especially with cruelty, i.e carnage, to kill with violence and cruelty, to slaughter The Oxford English Reference dictionary defines massacre as "a general slaughter of persons, occasionally of animals." In colloquial English, the dictionary said that the word is used to mean "an utter defeat or destruction. Furthermore, the dictionary said that as a Transitive Verb, massacre means" murder, especially a large number of people cruelly or violently or colloquially it means defeat heavily, destroy The update number of dead is: 178 soldiers of UPDF and local militia, 60 civilians and 48 soldiers dead on the spot at Abiya camp, a 100 injured civilians dead in the wilderness, 15 dead at Abako massacre etc. Considering the number of persons dead in last week's gruesome killing at Abiya, how could this not be an accurate report of a massacre, or rather why can't dictator Museveni admit that the Abiya and Abako killings was and remain a massacre?

Well, everyone and all the eye witnesses present at the time of the massacre and those who visited the scene at Abiya after the massacre do say it was the most unspeakable violent cruel killing carried on the refugees displaced and camped at Abiya! The denunciation and denial of the Abiya massacre may help us the victims of the 18 years old war to understand our valueless to dictator Musveni whose comment on Abiya may interpretably imply that the people of northern Uganda (Lango) massacred at Abiya are less human. It is a high time, that we stop crying and weeping for help, we have the gifts, energy, skills, human resources required and the God given right to defend and protect our rights to lives, properties, security, peace and even development. It is honourable and worth dying while fighting for our rights to exist and live, and should we die we must borrow a leaf from the biblical Samson and die with our common enemy dictator Museveni and anyone who abuses and threatens our rights to life, security and peace. Samson, a man endowed with strength and immense energy had his eyes gorged out by the enemy of Israel. The bible says that as they brought him to mock him in public, he preyed to the God of Israel for strength to allow him die with his enemies, and he pulled down the whole building and died with his enemies. Since last November, the enemies have displaced us all, kept our mothers old and young with malnourished babies strapped onto their backs running all over, sleeping at the pavement, feeding on handouts from humanitarian agencies, sleeping in the cold, schools curriculum disrupted etc, Our old men and very source of rich culture starving to death, the disabled and deaf unattended to, roasting our people in burning huts like squirrels or rats yet dictator Museveni says you are not suffering, you are not being massacred, you have enough relief and humanitarian aids, you are free to move out of the IDP camps back to your homes where he dictator Museveni has planted 400 soldiers of Bamuze men waiting to mock, rape, sodomize, burn your huts over you and massacre you! Isn't that sire mockery? You know very well better than I do, that relief and humanitarian aids cannot reach those displaced outside towns due to insecurity.

 Let me remind you that Dictator Museveni biggest political fear is the thought of a united northern Uganda speaking in one voice, treading one course glued in aims, objectives and aspirations. As we reported in our news last evening, I now repeat the information we have received from sources in western Uganda stating that dictator Museveni was heard telling some people close to him in western Uganda that he is so happy to have succeeded in dividing the Acholi and Lango, pitting them against each other! As if that is not enough, dictator Museveni says that all northerners are rebels regardless of whether they serve as civil servants, civil society, soldiers of UPDF, etc. Does anyone still need some other reasons to support and work with dictator Musveni, while in his views we are all rebels, bandits, terrorists, chicken thieves and call anything you want!

 The Committees of investigation now being sent to Lango by the Uganda dictator is a mockery of the people of Lango. Would you therefore, report or take your grievances to the same person or an organ of the same institution that is killing our people? The last time witnesses who went to report the killing of Reverend Pastor late Jadock Okello (RIP) arrived at a UPDF camp where to their surprise, dismay and disgust they had to report to the same people they quietly identified for having killed late Jadock Okello. Is anyone who doesn't remember the killings at Mukura, and those committed on Acholi and Lango soil. Once upon a time, a notorious UPDF Commander by the name of Kategara was waylaid and caught planting landmines in Nebbi. While in Acholi he committed gruesome acts of cutting peoples lips, where he ordered the soldiers of UPDF to shot and kill any living creature seen or found, then when in Teso he ordered for the roasting of 69 persons in a train wagon at Mukura. You who live in northern and eastern Uganda know all the chilling litanies of NRA/UPDF war crimes and crimes against humanity.

 As we neared the close of the year 2003, voices calling for intervention to end the civil war in northern Uganda may have raised our hopes for the return of security, peace and development to Uganda. However, the attempts of every peace loving person within and outside Uganda is deemed to fail because as long as dictator Museveni refuses to heed to those calls, so long shall our suffering continue. Last night, while meeting a delegation of 3 Italian Parliamentarians of the Committee on the defence and protection of human rights visiting Uganda, dictator Musveni told them that "Uganda does not need a multinational force: when we asked for help from the UN it did not arrive and now it is too late". The Italian parliamentarians expressed their concern over the critical humanitarian situation in northern Uganda and called on dictator Musveni to take into consideration the possibility of an international intervention. Dictator Musveni objected on false grounds that   "Historically, UN interventions in Africa never had success as demonstrated by the Rwandan genocide or the current Congolese situation; UN interventions now regard nations at an extreme and block local development capacities. We will resolve the situation with our own forces". In regard to the hypothesis of creating eventual humanitarian corridors for provisioning and assistance to the 'displaced camps' so hard-hit by the insurgency in the past days, particularly in the district of Lira Dictator Museveni admitted that "There is need for a reinforcement of escorts for the motorised convoys; humanitarian corridors presuppose an actual situation of civil war; here we merely have nomad groups always on the run, followed by the military. Where would we create the corridors?" Concerning the dramatic living conditions in the displaced camps, dictator Museveni told the delegation:  "If the conditions were really unacceptable, the people would have already abandoned them for other zones, the situation is evidently worse outside the camps". Fellow citizens, and dear listeners the internally displaced peoples camps exisiting in Acholi  was not erected on humanitarian grounds, but rather a military strategy to dry the water and deny the fish life. In 1996, the people of Acholi were ordered, forcefully strafed by helicopter gunships into the present IDP camps. The people of northern Uganda cannot get out of the camps because once and if found outside the IDPs the army accuses them of collaborating with the rebels. In most instances those found outside are shot dead. In regard to the killings, abductions and violence of all sorts that on a daily basis afflict northern Uganda, dictator Musveni claimed: "Attacks against civilians have diminished as also the number of civilian victims; the expansion of the rebels to the east was stopped, the north-east is under control and we have also eliminated many rebel leaders. There are maybe still a couple left. In the next days I will go to the north and I am sure that, under my supervision, we will end the problem. Also because we resolved the misunderstandings we had with donors were, that were imposing us to not go over 1,9% of the GDP (Gross National Product) for Defence spending, forcing us to make do with a small and badly-equipped military. Now we will be able to review these sums and finally potentate our forces".

 Well, for the first time I agree with dictator Museveni on one issue that the people killing in Lango are nomads-like in their behaviours and character.

 Are the victims of Abiya and Abako massacre not people, how long ago did it happen that dictator Museveni says the killing of civilian victims has gone down, while in the real sense the victims of Abiya massacre are still fresh with blood in their graves? Are we, the people of Lango and Acholi really people in the real sense that qualify to be called victims? Don't look for an answer too far away, just recall that to the Uganda dictatorship, we northerners are biological substances / accidents. After some thoughts, it sounds like the whole issue has been about causing maximum chaos in northern and eastern Uganda to convince the donors to give more funds for killing the northerners.

 Therefore, while we appreciate the efforts of each and everyone working for peace, we the intended beneficiaries living in and outside Uganda, victims of the wars and political repression desiring security and peace must prepare for war and bring the 18 years old genocidal war of vengeance to its logical conclusion, a battle and war that cannot be lost, if we only realise our human capability, the similarity of our destiny, and focus on the value of our respective and collective rights to existence, live in security, peace and development. It is therefore time that you the victims of the war living in Uganda caught up between the jaws of 2 fighting forces, must join in the search for peace by preparing for war. As every effort gets sprouted, we the victims of the war must not play week and helpless anymore, but we must spring up with the rising sun and drive the occupying oppressor forces out of our region and nation. In this regard, I would like to congratulate the 6000 men of Pabbo camp who in spite of their having been en-masse detained, yet were bold enough and freely against odds and risk of death, threw the first northern Uganda peoples revolutionary stones of condemnation, objection, rejection at the occupying forces.

 It is along time of human suffering, 18 years in a row that northern Uganda remain cut off as a no go area of the country, underdeveloped and perpetually discriminated against. History tells us that the World War I was caused by the assassination of an Austrian, furthermore; the USA went to war against Japan because of the Port Harbour bombing by the Japanese, that America, Britain, France etc went to war against Germany because of Hitler's aggression in search of more living room. Conclusively threatened by extinction, it is the nature of humanity, and a justified noble cause that you and me have the duty to fight back for our right to exist, live in security, peace and human prosperity, and that we must begin now.

 Finally,

 We the victims of 18 years wars and political repression must wake up to realise that the insecurity in northern Uganda, the dictator's refusal to allow the international intervention in northern Uganda, IDP camps, cultural death, gradual extinction of our tribes, the destructions of generations can not be halted unless you and me, all of us work to change our situation, we have the last man's option of Samson Revolt. I therefore call upon everyone, friends of humanity to heed to my distress call and support the Peoples Samson Revolt. I call upon those living within and outside Uganda too, to join by supporting every effort of our people to free themselves from a government that denies the Abiya massacre was no massacre.

 For God and our country Uganda

Godfrey Ayoo,

[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask] ,
[log in to unmask] , [log in to unmask] ,
www.radiorhino.org ,  www.upcparty.net

"And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, 'When will you be satisfied?' We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities (.) No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream". (Martin Luther King, 1964 Nobel Peace prize laureate, assassinated for his struggle)