GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alieu Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:24:13 -0800
I read the following story from www.Progressiveafricans.com. It is an intesting history. Enjoy! Being a bad history students, it sounded so inetersting to me.

  Alieu.

  Progressive Africans will recall the recent diplomatic demarche of
President Yahya Jammeh when he initiated a visit to Senegal in a bid to resolve the long-standing border impasse that had caused untold suffering to business and, the communities that live around and earn their livelihood from the otherwise thriving activities of the cross-border trade. By taking the political high road, President Jammeh confirmed irrefutably, his elevation from President to Statesman.
  The initiative was significant in that it also showed the world what good neighborliness is all about: Perhaps more importantly, it confired the uniqueness of our relationship as, we are enjoined in a way no other two states with a common border are enjoined. Except for the colonial legacy inherited by the two countries, the peoples of Senegambia are one and share the same culture, tradition, beliefs, etc. A second importance of the visit is that it proved to the world that, given the uniqueness of our relationship, no third party mediation was necessary to help resolve the border impasse.
  The challenge for Senegambia is however, to stay engaged with each other as an example of true bilateral cooperation. It should be possible for the two sides to remove the economic border that surrounds them and create a virtual space for doing business. Such an economic space could be a significant source of attracting foreign investments from Anglophone and francophone countries. It could also be a location for other potential investors from Europe and America, including, Asia and the Middle East. The two sides can also pool their resources and use their combined strength to overcome their weaknesses. The key word will be complimentarily and not competition.
  But, for these things to develop, we must first remove the myth that surround and divide us. We must be true to our selves and to posterity. To do so, we will have to take a quick look at the history of our development and evolution. It can be recalled that when Gambia sought independence from the British, it was the general belief that due to her lack of resources, Gambia cannot be a viable state. For this reason, the colonial powers struck an understanding that, in the event Gambia cannot sustain herself, she will become the eight region of Senegal, hence the stigma that she carried as the 'huitieme region' for quite sometime.
  But over time, Gambia became the best-performing economy in the
sub-region, becoming a model for economic management for the rest of the sub-region. Senegal's dream for an eight region therefore remained elusive and, perhaps frustrating for our good neighbors. Between the two sides, therefore, whilst they continue to look down on us, we continue to look at them with suspicion.
  However, the world has moved and we must move with it. Globalization has set in and little economies are going to be swallowed up. Therefore, it is incumbent upon our leaders and the elite, to assume a more sincere relationship. First by admitting our secret sin we have carried for this entire long as a means of atonement. We can then develop institutions that will help keep alive, our common ancestry and build on that for a better, brighter future for our peoples.