GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 07:12:33 +0200
Hello Katim,
I appreciate your paper, which  is exactly a parallel to the letter I have
posted to the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs to answer. Like you I
summoned the Jammeh-period, but also included something about living
conditions, the present situation up country where the peasants for two
years have not been able to sell the groundnut-production, and they are
left without anything, not even to buy basic needs. And also something about
the educational system. And asked how we in Denmark looked at the present
situation. (* belove I have tried to translate the answer I got from our
Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

And your appeal for all Gambians to handle the situation "cool" is exactly
what I thought and appealed for few days after the April-massacre, when I
asked : we can cry Jammeh must go, but who will take over IF and after
Jammeh ?

Some Gambians like action - an eye for eye-, but like you I don´t find that
is the way to do it. It will just create an unacceptable political
"culture", which in the long run will  lead to more sufferings. (** I quote
from Habib`s  postings: Sonkoh update)

I do hope that you and others can  make a difference, but to me it looks a
bit difficult for all of you sitting outside, when your families are still
living inside.
It´s my opinion that many of you will be needed in The Gambia when the time
has come. If not permanently then for a certain period to ensure things are
running like intended. So you will also have to plan how that can be done.
The Gambia needs many offers from people who are prepared to suffer for the
benefit of the people and nation. And maybe  not be rewarded until many
years from now.

Comment from Asbjørn Nordam

* From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Copenhagen 11.th may 2000

To Asbjørn Nordam

The situation in The Gambia after the shootings and killings of civilians
the 10.-11. april 2000.

Dear Asbjørn Nordam,
Thank you for Your letter of 4.th may concerning the situation in The
Gambia.
The Ministry fully share the  anxiety you have. We watch the trend of
affairs  very closely in the international forum and support all
initiatives, which can contribute towards a more stable situation. As
supposed the Parliament has decided to concentrate the danish aid and
assistance to a limited number of countries to obtain a closer relationship
and corporation with these countries.
Unfortunately The gambia is not elected as such a
collaborate-programme-country, so it is not possible for Denmark to put
political pressure on the Government of The Gambia. But through the
international organizations like EU and UN the ministry works actively
trying to stabilize the situation in that unstable corner.
To make sure we remark that Denmark has no diplomatic representation placed
in Banjul, and due to that we are not able to follow the situation in the
country closely. The danish honory consul in Banjul, Mr. peter Smith assists
if danish businessmen or tourists get problems due to illness etc. The
honory consul has no authorization to make political reports on the
countries  they are staying in.
Many regards
sign.

** Human Rights Watch called on the Sierra Leone government
Wednesday to ensure that RUF leader Foday Sankoh received a fair trial
for what it called "his crimes." The human rights group said that extensive
evidence had been compiled  on crimes against humanity carried out Sankoh's
followers."But that evidence should be carefully compiled and presented in a
court oflaw. Sankoh should be  informed of the specific charges against him
as soon aspossible, according to fair trial standards," the groups said in a
press statement. The Sierra Leone government has not yet said whether it
would seek to put the RUF leader on trial,   and said Wednesday that Sankoh
is being held in protective custody. "There is a  good case against
(Sankoh), but it must be presented soberly and carefully,  before impartial
judges," Peter Takirambudde, ExecutiveDirector of Human Rights Watch's
Africa Division as quoted as saying. "Otherwise, the cycle of  violence in
Sierra Leone will only continue." Takirambudde suggested that the  capacity
of the Sierra Leonean judiciary was in question
and that the possibility of  an international tribunal should be considered.
"At the core of the crisis in Sierra Leone is the question of impunity,"
Takirambudde said in the statement. "If the  international community can
send investigative teams into Kosovo to document war crimes, it should be
prepared to do the same for Sierra Leone. The  perpetrators of abuse must be
held accountable."

 Following the arrest Wednesday of RUF leader Foday Sankoh,
Amnesty  International repeated its call "for all those
responsible of committing human rights abuses to be brought to
justice." The  human rights group has opposed a blanket amnesty
for war crime  committed during the country's civil conflict
"because it violated  international law and failed to address the gross
human right  abuses, including war crimes and crimes against
humanity, committed during the conflict," Amnesty said in a
statement. The  statement argued that the RUF had failed to live up to the
provisions of the Lome Peace Accord. "Neither RUF members nor anyone else
should continue to  benefit from the amnesty in that agreement," Amnesty
said. "The killings,  mutilations, rape and abductions which continued after
the amnesty are, in any case, not covered by the amnesty and those
responsible must be brought to  justice." Even if the blanket amnesty were
not annulled by the Sierra Leone   government, the statement said, the
international community should move to bring those responsible for serious
violations of human
rights or international humanitarian law to justice. "Any state may request
the extradition of suspected perpetrators of human rights abuses for trial
in its own courts," Amnesty said. "If  the Sierra Leone government does not
submit the cases of such suspects to its own courts, it must nevertheless
comply with any extradition request."