GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:13:52 EDT

Brother Abdu,

You wrote:

Any individual following the history of fragility of NADD will agree with  me
that sensational journalist is the attribution of the break down of that
coalition.

As I always say, anyone who is presenting themselves as a potential leader
of a country and who either takes personally or cannot withstand criticism both
 by the media and by the general public who have a right to scrutinize them
needs  to excuse us and go find another trade. We cannot use sensational
journalism as  the excuse to abandon or embark on a cause or make a decision that
eventually betrays the people. What was at stake was too great and required
the resolve of true leaders who can do the right thing and make  the  right
decisions who can never be distracted from the importance  of that goal by
anything or anyone.  Therefore, people who are so  easily distracted have no place in
it. So let us put that  excuse aside. We  do not need basket cases as
potential leaders. To paraphrase a famous American  leader, If they cannot withstand
the heat, they must get out of the  kitchen.

As Laye Jallow already pointed out,

"This is what democracy is all about. It is the voice of those  who
participated that matters at the end of the day even if their decision  is
the worst for the majority"

The fact of the matter is that those people who stayed home and failed  to
vote and some of those who went over to the APRC were disillusioned by the
breakup of the original coalition, period! and it is time to accept that as
opposed to cooking up all manner of excuses as the reason when everyone  knows the
reason. The UDP lost ground with some of their supporters who were  angry that
they left the coalition and that is why they were able to pull only  27% of
the vote despite their union with the NRP and GDP and Hamat Bah likewise  lost
supporters because of the same reason plus various other issues and  nothing
else.

This exercise of engaging in all manner of feel good exercises rather that
calling a spade a spade are some of the very reasons that the UDP lost some of
their support base. They insisted on feeding the people various and sundry
excuses that seemed to change from one day to the next as to why they left  the
coalition,  when the people knew better and it looks like they  still have
not learnt a lesson. Where are the thinkers and strategists in this  party?

If those who made a mistake cannot asses themselves and do the right thing
so we can regroup, Yaya Jammeh will be there for the 40 years he promises
Gambians.
It is like a drug addict, unless they can come to terms and admit the fact
that they are addicted and want and need help, no amount of therapy  can help
them kick the habit.
It is time to set aside the excuses and do a retrospective in order to  move
forward and those who fail to do that will forever be lost in self  delusion
and Jammeh stays where he is to the detriment of our people. It is a  recurring
problem that will not go away and has to be answered and acted upon if  we
are to get rid of the menace of Yaya Jammeha and that is whether one is
motivated by a quest for individual and partisan  power or the  interest of the
people as a whole. The Gambian people are waiting for that  answer and whoever does
not want to come to terms with that fact is a part  of our problems.

Jabou Joh

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい