GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 21:41:06 -0000
Ebou Colly:

Thanks once again for throwing more light on the Gambian coup of 1994. You
pen, I can tell you, is powerful. No wonder they say "the pen is mightier
than the sword". My Brother, your narrative is excellent, and I do hope that
Gambians in the Gambia, are distributing your series of articles on the
"Jammeh coup", through out the country, so that people are fully aware of
what really happened.

As Sister Astrid said the other day, I think you should really write a book
on the Coup, just for the record. I am convinced that it would be a master
piece if you were to write a book on the coup. And if you do decide to write
a book, my only suggestion is that you might bring the Gambian Case into a
more effective dialogue with some of the recent theoretical literature and
debates on the military, democratisation, civil society and the State in
Africa (more widely).

It would be very interesting if you were to find time to try and set the
Gambian experience under Jammeh in a theoretical context, whenever you
decide to do a book. An examination of pertinent research data, as well as
commenting on associated theoretical literature/debate on the African
military and power, would certainly enable you to show how the Gambian
scenario reflects and fits some of these hypothetical models.

By the way, there is a wealth of very recent theoretical research and
literature which will enable you to set what has been happening in The
Gambia since 1994, into a theoretical background pertaining to West Africa
in particular, and to the African Continent more generally.

Meanwhile, while looking forward to reading part four of your series, I pray
for your continued good health and long life so that the enormous task that
lies ahead can be finished/accomplished.

Regards,
Brother Ebrima