GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:57:53 -0000
Folks, I received this from an associate and thought I share it with you'll.
  I hope it adds value to what you already know.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou
______________________________ Forward Header
__________________________________ Subject: Fwd: Interesting Article on
school shooting
Author:  [log in to unmask] at PO_EXTERNET Date:    3/13/01 3:59 PM

Subject: [Fwd: Interesting Article on school shooting]

This recent article was sent to me, and I thought I'd share it with you.
What struck me as interesting is that it's
written by a white journalist that seems to have his head on straight.  Hope
is alive and well.  Enjoy!

It's long but worth a read.

School Shootings and White Denial

>Tim Wise, AlterNet
>
>March 6, 2001
>
>I can think of no other way to say this, so here goes: > white people need
>to pull our heads out of our
>collective ass.
>
>Two more white children are dead and thirteen are
>injured, and another "nice" community is scratching its > blonde head,
>utterly perplexed at how a school shooting > the likes of the one yesterday
>in Santee, California
>could happen. After all, as the Mayor of the town said > in an interview
>with CNN: "We're a solid town, a good > town, with good kids, a good
>church-going town.an
>All-American town." Yeah, well maybe that's the problem. >
>I said this after Columbine and no one listened so I'll > say it again:
>white people live in an utter state of
>self-delusion. We think danger is black, brown and poor, > and if we can
>just move far enough away from "those
>people" in the cities we'll be safe. If we can just find > an
>"all-American" town, life will be better, because
>"things like this just don't happen here." >
>
>Well bullshit on that. In case you hadn't noticed,
>"here" is about the only place these kinds of things do > happen. Oh sure,
>there is plenty of violence in urban
>communities and schools. But mass murder; wholesale > slaughter;
>take-a-gun-and-see-how-many-you-can-kill
>kinda craziness seems made for those safe places: the > white suburbs or
>rural communities.
>

>And yet once again, we hear the FBI insist there is no > "profile" of a
>school shooter. Come again? White boy
>after white boy after white boy, with very few
>exceptions to that rule (and none in the mass shooting > category), decides
>to use their classmates for target > practice, and yet there is no profile?
>Imagine if all
>these killers had been black: would we still hesitate to > put a racial
>face on the perpetrators? Doubtful.
>

>Indeed, if any black child in America-especially in
>the mostly white suburbs of Littleton, or Santee-were
>to openly discuss their plans to murder fellow students, > as happened both
>at Columbine and now Santana High, you > can bet your ass that somebody
>would have turned them
>in, and the cops would have beat a path to their > doorstep. But when
>whites discuss their murderous
>intentions, our stereotypes of what danger looks like > cause us to ignore
>it-they're just "talking" and
>won't really do anything. How many kids have to die > before we rethink
>that nonsense? How many dazed and > confused parents, Mayors and Sheriffs
>do we have to > listen to, describing how "normal" and safe their
>community is, and how they just can't understand what > went wrong?
>

>I'll tell you what went wrong and it's not TV, rap
>music, video games or a lack of prayer in school. What > went wrong is that
>white Americans decided to ignore
> [...]

TradeStation Group, Inc. is a publicly-traded holding company (Nasdaq: TRAD)
of two operating subsidiaries, TradeStation Securities, Inc. (Member
NASD/SIPC) and TradeStation Technologies, Inc. (formerly known as Omega
Research, Inc.).  TradeStation Securities, which includes its
OnlineTrading.com division, provides securities brokerage services for
individuals and professionals, including direct-access order-routing
services. TradeStation Technologies provides real-time analysis platforms
and services, including TradeStation Pro, a real-time platform that provides
strategy design, testing and automation capabilities. TradeStation
Technologies' other products and services include TradeStation 2000i,
OptionStation 2000i, SuperCharts and WindowOnWallStreet.com. Many of these
products and services are open platforms to independent trading software
developers to design technically compatible products (TradeStation Open
Platform). TradeStation World Conference & Expo, the annual conference for
TradeStation Pro users, is produced by TradeStation Technologies.
TradeStation is a registered trademark of TradeStation Technologies.  The
information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please