GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 15:33:51 -0700
Mr. Gassama and my fellow comrades:

If I was asked to make a difference, what will I do?  God please help the Gambian people, as we are one Gambia, but Jammeh continues to divide us on tribal lines.  Tribal politics and tribal preference will further divide us.

If I was asked to make a difference, what will I do?  Well friends, I will go back to history and try to remember the wonderful sermons by the late Imam Alhagie Lamin Bah of Banjul.  I will further take a moment and thank the late Alhagie Momodou Musa Njie for his kind words and gift when I was leaving the Gambia.  I will reflect for a momemnt and advocate a policy of tolerance.  I will further advocate a policy of unity because we share so much in common than the negatives that divide us.  Tribalism will be an abomination in carrying out my responsibilities.

In order to make a difference, one must understand that participatory democracy will provide a Gambia for us all.  Jammeh's approach to self promotion by appointing his tribal friends in most security positions is further dividing us.  The Gambia deserves better.

In fiscal responsibility, my policy will be based on collective bargaining.  Drs. Tyjan Sallah, Momodou Darboe, Sanneh, and countless Gambiana will be called to provide ideas for a Gambia of economic prowess.  No single politician should claim to have an inherent right to promulgate polices without input from the electorate.

In terms of retiring Gambian civil servants at age 55, I will ask them to continue until they no longer have the will to work.  It is unimaginable to force a person at a prime age of 55 to retire.  The negative impact of our economic difficulties is the fact that we have human capital that is not maximized at its fullest potential.

Education will be a priority.  Accountability and separation of executive, legislative and judiciary will be separate, but equal.  The executive must account for dishing  out money without appropriation.  Reflecting I ask, where did Jammeh get $20,000 for his supporters in New York?  Where did Jammeh get the money for a personal aircraft and a jet fighter?  Why should we not ask this questions?  Is the media bill an obtacle to free speech?

For the trade sector, I will advocate that no Gambian be denied the right to participate.  The more we engage in free trade, the better it is for the consumer.

Respect for all will be my responsibility.  It is frightening when we are insensitive to different opinions.  The more we engage in substantive debates, the better it is for democracy.

So dear friend Gassama, to be asked to make a difference can only happen when one is willing to make friends and continue to seek the best of mankind.  The opposition will not be an enemy, but a vital member of participatory democracy.  One should not claim  to be the master of all.  Collective bargaining will yield success.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency