GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:36:44 EDT

This conversation has taken us through an identification of who orphaned
children are. We have narrowed our focus to a critical Flux term reserved for
bereavement. That is normally between 30-40 days or until the monogamous spouse
re-marries. The perspective is to devise a plan of secours that encourages
family cohesion and reunions, and discourages divorce or singular life. The
Flux  period/term is underpinned in religio-traditional lore and therefore will
be  worthwhile to investigate what assistance regime churches and mosques have
in  place for such secours. Any considerations we make here will help to
augment  those programs and where non-existent, we encourage congregants to propose
it to  their church, mosque, or synagogue.

In the area of Orphanage which is a result of a parent or parents separated
from their families due to assignments, work, scholarship, or volunteer work
overseas, it is safe to say that that falls more under the purview of the
individual concerned and the NGO, employer, and or benefactor. It is sometimes
hard to turn down a lucrative job assignment, scholarship, or volunteer work
overseas especially for citizens of developing countries. However, if we are
married or have children, it is only prudent that we insist on some
accomodation, in writing, from employers, benefactors, or NGO's, for a schedule  of
re-uniting with our family not to exceed a period of one year. I understand  that
some employers and NGO's already take such responsibilities into
consideration but it may be harder for educational benefactors especially
non-governmental scholarships. In such cases, and as part of your negotiation,  you are best
advised to negotiate for on campus or part time work and possibly  airfare to
visit your family at least once a year. The part time or on-campus  work is to
enable you to still support you familial responsibilities and other
incidental expenses.

Some of us volunteer with NGO's as one of my brothers is doing now in  Darfur
as am sure many are doing. It is comforting to know that NGO's  incorporate
considerations for our own families we leave behind as we lend a  hand to
others around the world who are suffering. I advise all NGO's to  consider such if
they haven't already and to encourage family cohesion, to  afford volunteers
family leaves at least once every six months. If the duration  of volunteering
will last longer than 3 years, I recommend rotating volunteers  in much the
same way as soldiers serving overseas are rotated. Soldiers, whether
peace-keeping or war-making or defensive, fall under the purview of  governments and
multi-lateral agencies so we will not consider soldiers in this  conversation.

It therefore appears that work or scholarship-exiled Parent/s have enormous
lattitude and secours for their families. We have now removed such children
from  our consideration of Orphaned children. We can turn our attention to
Orphanage  caused by Political-exile.

Haruna. I yield for ideas/suggestions/other views.
 In a message dated 6/27/2008 7:16:52 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,