GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
BambaLaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:47:56 -0500
Eid Al-Adha Announcement
2/13/2002 - Religious Social - Article Ref: IN0202-401
By: IslamiCity
Independent* -

Supreme Judiciary Council of Saudi Arabia

The Supreme Judiciary Council of Saudi Arabia has announced that, in
accordance with eyewitness testimonies, today (February 13, 2002) is the
first day of the hijrah month of Dhu Al-Hajjah. Therefore, the culmination
of the upcoming 1422 hajj, the standing at Mount Arafat, will be on
Thursday, February 21, 2002, and Friday, February 22 will be Eid Al-Adha.

Islamic Crescents' Observation Project (ICOP)

According to Islamic Crescents' Observation Project (ICOP) which has been
organized by the Arab Union for Astronomy and Space Sciences (AUASS) and
the Jordanian Astronomical Society (JAS), the geocentric new Moon will
occur on Tuesday 12 February 2002, at 07:41 UT. On this day, the crescent
will not be seen from anywhere on Earth, except from small region at the
western parts of South America Continent. While on the next day (13
February), the program Moon Calculator by Dr. Monzur Ahmed - according to
Yallop criterion - showed that Insha'allah the crescent should be seen by
naked eyes from most parts of the world. According to the actual sighting
of the crescent, the start of Thul Hijjah should be on Thursday 14
February, and thus the Eid should begin on Saturday 23 February.

National Shura Council & the Fiqh Council of North America

The National Shura Council and the Fiqh Council decided, based on
procedures of local moon sighting, the hilal was not sighted anywhere in
North America on February 12th, which was the 29th day of Zhul Qa'dah.
Therefore, the 10th of Zhul Hijjah will fall on Saturday, February 23rd.

Muslims are united worldwide in their worship of the one God, Allah, and in
their recognition that Muhammad, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon
him, is the Messenger of Allah. Throughout the centuries, Muslim scholars
have developed a rich tradition of legal scholarship. The sincere efforts
of the greatest scholars have resulted in legitimate differences of opinion
in many matters of fiqh. These differences should not be taken as a sign of
disunity among Muslims. We are united in our beliefs and in our love for
each other. If we have legitimate differences in legal interpretation, this
does not mean that we are disunited.

Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) and the other members of the
national Shura Council and the Fiqh Council have taken a certain position
on the proper method of determining the Islamic calendar for North America.
If other scholars, groups or organizations have taken other positions,
sincerely and within the established parameters of Islamic law, they have a
right to do that. We respect and love all our brothers and sisters in
Islam, and wish all of them a very blessed Eid.

Please consult your local Islamic Center and/or Mosque to determine when
they will be celebrating Eid Al-Adha.