GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karim Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:29:06 +0000
Since the philosophical interpretation of free speech is to tell people
what they don't want to hear want to express my views to the current
political dynamic of the our beloved continent. Many critical minded
Pan-Africanist are pessimistic whether black liberation and freedom will
be a reality in this 21st century. The bleeding picture of continent
manifested that until our leaders respect liberal democracy, social
justice and human rights, we will remain the wretched of the earth.

The first generation of independence African leaders promised the people
for their freedom. The majority of these leaders stayed for many years
with one party rule or 'cosmetic democracy' with no constitutional
limitation, enriching themselves from the national coffers, suppressing
basic fundamental human rights including press freedom. When the ballot
box becomes impossible, many were later removed by military coups.
Military take-overs had make the situation of our continent more fragile
and democratic culture vulnerable.

The coming of military in all its forms( military and military turn
civilian presidents) into African body politics had aggravate the
problem of black man's burden- underdevelopment, corruption, greed and
human rights violation. Since most of these leaders have no political
education and intellectual sense of direction, they end up as model
dictators and become intolerant to critics.
As we entered the 21st century, the masses of our people are still
living on the edge. Africa is confronted with all types of development
problems. In many countries, there is no realistic government programmes
to combat the bleeding picture of the continent. Many of our leaders and
their policy makers failed to understand that these programmes can't be
address with 'militocracy' or 'cosmetic democracy' but only true and
meaningful liberal democracy with emphasis on popular participation and
social justice.

The second generation of our leaders are a carbon copy or replica of the
first generation of our independence leaders. They came into power with
the gun in their hands pretending to deliver good governance and social
justice. After been drunken with power, power corrupt them absolutely.
At the end they change their colors to model dictators. The small West
African country of the Gambia is a show case example. When Yaya Jammeh
overthrown 30 years rule of Sir Dawda Jawara, he promised Gambians of
constitutional limitation of term of presidency, probity, transparency
and accountability. After five years in power, all these promise became
futile. Today he is identified as one of the richest head of state in
Africa.

He as followed the mobutu's pattern like his mentor electrifying his
village of Kanillai and Dobong, provide every house-hold with pipe borne
water supply, built a mansions, established a farm and plantation,
posses numerous assets and allege swiss bank account. In 1996, when
London based Pan African magazine NEW AFRICA made a good investigative
journalistic reporting about gambia's missing millions the Government
think that they can censored the information to the readership like they
censored the Gambian press with their draconian and undemocratic decree
70 and 71.The matter become authentic fact,when a Gambia Government went
into court in Swiss with their former spokesman Captain Ebou Jallow.