GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:23:59 +0100
BambaLaye,

Thanks for speaking for me. I'm too busy right now to put together a lengthy
response but yours just did it for me.

Another significant point that many seem to be missing is that not all
parties are involved in 'a power struggle' if any. The noble gestures of
some (I don't even need to name names as their track record bear them
witness!) have reached us through one channel or another.

One quantity that is seldom mentioned and whom I personally, without any
ounce of doubt believe can bear the flag and steer a NADD victory safely
into port whiles respecting the spirit of the MOU is Sidia.

To me, Sidia Jatta (and his allies) has demonstrated a degree of dedication
and selflessness so alien to our dysfunctional political culture that it is
a reason for suspicion by political reactionaries and self-righteous
political misfits seeking every opportunity deep their fangs and empty their
accumulated venom into those who have demonstrated a staid political and
progressive stance though decades.

From day one when the MOU was signed I had no one in mind for the job other
than Sidia. Where in Gambia can you find a better man?

The other day when Modou Camara rhetorically asked "Who should lead NADD" I
saw an opportunity to profile Sidia and why he is tailor-made for the job. I
made a tedious search, opening old boxes with documents in my basement, for
the copy of Sidia's resignation letter to the Jawara regime in 1987(?) which
I know I have a copy of somewhere. Exhausted and disappointed at not finding
the copy of the letter which I had BTW planned to re-type and attach, I
succumbed to the urge to answer to other calls of importance as, at best it
would just have been another addition to another 'intellectual' (I hate the
word) exchange.

Like you I would rather have someone in NADD, whoever, than some who has
never seen the need to stand up (and be counted however symbolically)
against injustice all their life, their only qualification being having
excelled academically or in some unrelated field. I'd rather trust the word
and promise of deed of the 'intellectual' that has put at least an hour of
his time or dollar from his pocket. The lessons from junta that usurped
power in '94 does not seem to have been learned. Apparently some dozed off
in class. Was Jammeh not supposed to have been chosen as a figure-head (by
brokers wielding real power and who planned an executed the putsch) to
oversee a two-year transition government?

What guarantees are there that an 'outsider' won't dig in like the Dix of
Kanilai after winning as NADD flag bearer?

Regards,

Kabir.