GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:05:14 -0800
Dear all,

Before I forget, I would like to wish all of you a Happy Independence
Anniversary.  Today, Feb. 18, 2001 marks the 36th anniversary of our
Independence (whatever that means) from Britain.  I hope we use, or have already
used the occassion to reflect on how we have handled the affairs of our country,
and also to re-dedicate ourselves to building a better Gambia.

It is also interesting to note that today is Democracy Day in Nepal, and I think
we should find it instructive that the lack of democracy in The Gambia is a key
obstacle to our quest for a properous and peaceful country.  But, as the
Nigerians say, no condition is permanent, and I'm sure that one of these days,
we will throw off the shackles around our feet.

Have a great week, and best wishes.

Katim