GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:37:35 -0400
Mr, Conteh:

Couple of days ago when I heard the news of the lifting of the ban of all political parties, the infamous
decree 89, I was equally estatatic. Unlike you, I am having the problem, wrestling with the reality of the
whole issue. Not too long ago, OJ challenged the constitutionality of decree 89 and lost the case. Also the
legislature, for the last five years never had the power or even to debate the constitutionality of the
decree. With a lift of his finger, Mr.Jammeh, one individual has the power to flush out the decree. Hmn,
Maybe, we do not need the Constitution because Jammeh Power will suffice.

Thanks
Musa Jeng